Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times

Advertisements

NYC schools have added two Muslim holidays to their calendar. Here are my questions:

- Should public schools observe any religious holidays?

- You can’t have a religious holiday without somehow “observing” it, and tacitly approve of it. Aren’t pubic schools designed to avoid religion?

- Who determines which holidays are added? There are high profile “pressure” groups who purport to speak for the “community” but what they really are are thinly disguised PACs for various politicians.

- What is the threshold for adding religious holidays? Where does it end?

BTW, one of the approved holidays is “Eid al-Adha”, which is also known as the Feast of Sacrifice. The sacrifice being the slitting of sheeps throat on public sidewalks and doorways. Not exactly what you want to see in the current climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
NYC schools have added two Muslim holidays to their calendar. Here are my questions:

- Should public schools observe any religious holidays?

- You can’t have a religious holiday without somehow “observing” it, and tacitly approve of it. Aren’t pubic schools designed to avoid religion?

- Who determines which holidays are added? There are high profile “pressure” groups who purport to speak for the “community” but what they really are are thinly disguised PACs for various politicians.

- What is the threshold for adding religious holidays? Where does it end?

BTW, one of the approved holidays is “Eid al-Adha”, which is also known as the Feast of Sacrifice. The sacrifice being the slitting of sheeps throat on public sidewalks and doorways. Not exactly what you want to see in the current climate.
I definitely hear you! I now, sadly, believe that ALL religious holidays should not be acknowledged in any way in any public school. This saddens me, though, because I was born in 1953, and school Christmas pageants are part of fondest memories of childhood. However, maybe it is past time to COMPLETELY separate "church" (or "religion") from anything paid for by taxpayers.

With the "PC at all costs" agenda that has been occurring for the past 40 or so years and which has rapidly accelerated since Obama was inaugurated, I now think that acknowledging religious holidays in public schools is now just too cumbersome -- there are simply too many of them!! I mean, if Muslim holidays must be honored, why not all Catholic saints days? As you said, where would it end? Taken to the ultimate "fair" conclusion, kids might end up missing so much school that their education would be severely diminished. And even if the recognition of holidays would just involve discussion and not days off, think of all the time spent having to educate the teachers before they could educate the kids, not to mention the possible teaching of incorrect or controversial aspects of some religious teachings -- and just think of all the possible subsequent lawsuits!!!

The only other remedy that I can imagine would be to allow each child to have so many "personal days" (perhaps five?) a year, with the understanding that any school work missed on those days would have to be made up.

I will repeat myself: Maybe it IS time to completely separate "church" (or "religion") from ANYTHING paid for by taxpayers.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
It is more about keeping enrollment numbers up. If the school does not have a certain number of students in attendance on any given day, they can lose funding for that day. Also, if a large number of teachers need to be out to observe their holiday, it can be difficult/impossible to get enough subs.

That's why many school districts shut down for Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, or Good Friday. I see no difference with observing Muslim holidays if there are enough students who would be out of school anyway.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It is more about keeping enrollment numbers up. If the school does not have a certain number of students in attendance on any given day, they can lose funding for that day. Also, if a large number of teachers need to be out to observe their holiday, it can be difficult/impossible to get enough subs.

That's why many school districts shut down for Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, or Good Friday. I see no difference with observing Muslim holidays if there are enough students who would be out of school anyway.
In Colorado, there is an "in school" count ONE day a year, and funding is based on just that one day. (Or at least that's how it was about five years ago, the last time I had a kid in public school.)

Also, I think you bring up a good point about finding enough teachers to substitute if too many are out to celebrate a particular day, but IF the teachers' religious beliefs are in line demographically-speaking with those of the students, I don't see that being a huge problem. But, again, this just illustrates another problem with being "PC" and with mixing religion with public (general) education.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:14 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I'm most familiar with the issue from the Jewish perspective. For whatever reason, many Jews go into education as compared to the general population. There are plenty of areas around the country where schools close down for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur because of the teachers, while very few students are Jewish.

This seems like an issue where it's good for me, but not for thee.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
In Colorado, there is an "in school" count ONE day a year, and funding is based on just that one day. (Or at least that's how it was about five years ago, the last time I had a kid in public school.)

Also, I think you bring up a good point about finding enough teachers to substitute if too many are out to celebrate a particular day, but IF the teachers' religious beliefs are in line demographically-speaking with those of the students, I don't see that being a huge problem. But, again, this just illustrates another problem with being "PC" and with mixing religion with public (general) education.
That's done in most states, as well as having the parents fill out a form in areas with heavy military presence (payment in lieu of taxes from the federal property).

The attendance thing one poster mentioned was a requirement of NCLB and now Race To The Top. Schools have to report their average daily attendance. If it drops below a certain per cent (it was 95%, I'm not sure if it still is) the school has to implement measures to bring it up to the requirement.

Under the old Average Yearly Progress the attendance numbers had to increase each year to 99%. That's one reason NCLB requirements were sort of discarded, no school anywhere could meet the requirements which were all 99%-100%.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Add 'em all, then their won't be any school days left in session for the school year

Hmmmm, wonder if they recognize the 4th of July as a Holiday in the Muslim Countries?. Or Easter or President's Day, or Good Friday.

America is on its way out!

Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
I am not sure at all if this had anything to do with parent's wishes. There are many Muslims who don't do anything special on those two days and since they have to go to work the last thing they need is to worry about where to keep the kids. I'd be surprised if they polled the parents. And don't think this stops here. Sooner or later schools will have to educate the rest of the students and staff through workshops, curriculum, events etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Separation of church and state has nothing to do with public schools giving days off so that students can practice their religion.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:41 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I think schools should not observe ANY religious holidays. Having said that, there should be guidelines in place so that if it is a religious holiday, the parent's have a choice to keep their child at home without having the child's attendance record affected.

Kids will still have plenty of school holidays due to 4th of July, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, President's Day, etc. since all of these holidays are celebrated by all Americans regardless of religion.

The other thing to note is that minus Christmas, what days do schools currently close for other religious holidays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events