Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It all boils down to one simple point: It's the LGBT militants who are always looking to pick the fight, then run fawning and whining to Big Brother in order to get their way.

In a society run by those "principles"??, no one's property, liberty, or life itself is safe -- if they offend the Powers that Be, who have determined their behavior to be Politically Incorrect.

What part of this can't anyone understand?
But a business open to the public is going to have gay customers, whether it likes them, or not. It won't do much good to put a sign out that says "no gays allowed", because many gays can pass as straight.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-01-2015 at 01:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
I think everybody remember the situation with "florist who refused to provide flowers for gay wedding rejects offer to settle discrimination case" (I wrote about that https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post38589145)
And now, the scandal begins...
1st shoe drops for Washington florist under fire for faith
The first shoe dropped Friday for Washington state florist Barronelle Stutzman, who has been convicted by the state in a case brought by the ACLU of discrimination for operating her business according to her Christian faith.
Now, she should pay big money, really big money for crime she didn't commit, what do you think guys?
Why our judicial system agree with this lawlessness?
I think she should move to Oklahoma where she would be very much welcomed. There, she has the freedom to put a sign out front that says, "No gays allowed". She would, no doubt, do a lot of business from local church people anxious to show their support for her policy.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think she should move to Oklahoma where she would be very much welcomed. There, she has the freedom to put a sign out front that says, "No gays allowed". She would, no doubt, do a lot of business from local church people anxious to show their support for her policy.
mmm nice place to visit... I love places of historic interest and this shower are well stuck in the past... why dont they just brand the GAYS .. that way they can spot them coming through the automatic door with a GAY sensor on it... the brand will be detected and the door will lock.... easy... done and dusted..I had always thought you had to break a law to be thrown out of a shop or refused entry..

Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
What has gotten to this society? No compassion, no common sense, no sense of what's urgent and what's not.

United States economy crumbling, urgent issue.

Unemployment, urgent issue.

Not able to force everybody anybody to make the bouquet one wishes, NOT urgent.

Forcing a honest hardworking person to lose her livelihood over a minute technicality, dispicable!

Anyone applaud that outcome on this woman is heartless.
The US economy is crumbling? Unemployment is high? Are you in 2015 or 2008?

I never understand these sorts of arguments. These are not either/or choices we have. It's not like we have to settle for a bad economy if we want proper civil rights, or vice versa.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,246 times
The bible says that lying is a sin, so business owners who are Christian and object citing this reason cannot lie to the LGBTQ+ customer and "make up" some reason they cannot be served. They have to be forthright, or risk sinning.

We have seen many posters throughout several threads state they are against serving the LGBTQ+ community and attest that they would lie before their own god. You see their merit now.

Hypocrisy of cherry-picking the bible aside, at least she did not sin. Not that I support her, as you've read previously.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I like those signs I used to see in ANY establishment "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".

You really want to patronize an establishment with your hard-earned money where they really don't like you? Are you crazy? What? Proving a point? I know, let's focus on something like, say, nuclear arms in the hands of terrorists!

There's a thousand things to think of other than this flower shop. I'm sure everyone's happy that she's been persecuted for her beliefs.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I like those signs I used to see in ANY establishment "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".

You really want to patronize an establishment with your hard-earned money where they really don't like you? Are you crazy? What? Proving a point? I know, let's focus on something like, say, nuclear arms in the hands of terrorists!

There's a thousand things to think of other than this flower shop. I'm sure everyone's happy that she's been persecuted for her beliefs.
You seem to be mistaken. She was not "persecuted for her beliefs" she was prosecuted for breaking the law.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM

546 posts, read 408,477 times
Let me throw out a non-SSM, non-gay, non-Hitler analogy out there to see how people feel....

There are members of the animal rights community who are adamantly opposed to humans "enslaving" animals for their own needs. Be it mere companionship as a pet, service dogs, police and/or military dogs, these people fervently believe all of these are morally and ethically wrong.

So, suppose that due to these beliefs, a shop owner denies service to a blind person with a seeing eye dog.

Under the ADA, this would be illegal, I believe.

The shop owner isn't discriminating against the blind or the disabled, the shop owner just wants no part of condoning the use of service animals. The blind person is free to return to the store with a human being to provide them aid in getting around. The blind person is obviously also free to patronize another business.

The shop owner doesn't hate dogs, to the contrary, rightly or wrongly, the shop owner is trying to do what is best for the animals.

Should the shop owner get a pass on compliance with this one aspect of the ADA as a result of their beliefs?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 AM

920 posts, read 633,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

So are there lots of businesses with "No Gays Allowed" signs where you live? You should take pictures and post them. I have a difficult time believing you are telling the truth and not spouting hyperbole based on your own viewpoint.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 AM

920 posts, read 633,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You seem to be mistaken. She was not "persecuted for her beliefs" she was prosecuted for breaking the law.

The force of the state is denying her 1st Amendment right and threatening her livelihood. Sounds like "persecution" to me.

Doesn't the LGBTQQ+++ coalition claim they are "persecuted" because they can't get flowers/cakes/pictures for their gay wedding?

I think losing your livelihood by force of the State is much more damaging then having to walk across the street for a cake.

But the LGBTQQ+++ coalition is all about moral equivalency, so I can see how you missed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events