Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have never heard of a florist staying at a wedding to rearrange the flowers at all. I have heard of them delivering and setting them up in some cases, in others they can be picked up at the shop and the wedding planner/ wedding party sets them up.

Heck, a wedding is what an hour at most, how much can the flowers need rearranging? Even at the reception, which can last hours, I have never heard of the florist hanging out to fix the flowers all evening.
Regardless of your personal experiences, the florist has stated that her services involving Wedding Flowers includes the creation of the flowers, delivery to the venue, remaining through the ceremony and assisting the wedding party as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So according to her written statement she does not discrimate against same sex weddings if it is covered under State law.

She could of sold them the floral arrangements with the provision that she personally would not be there to rearrange the flowers during the wedding service (do they actually do that?).

Coulda woulda shoulda - those are not valid arguments against her protected religious freedoms. I did not see where her statement related to any event, just individuals of a protected class. She did not discriminate against the customer. She sold him flowers more than 20 times over nearly a decade.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM

157 posts, read 96,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Regardless of your personal experiences, the florist has stated that her services involving Wedding Flowers includes the creation of the flowers, delivery to the venue, remaining through the ceremony and assisting the wedding party as needed.
Where did she make those statements? If she did, they contradict what she told the court under oath.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That was one of the basis, but they ALSO claimed freedom of religion in their defense.

https://verdict.justia.com/2013/09/0...g-photographer

That was the state case. The grounds for the appeal to the Supreme Court was solely related to Free Speech claims.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-con...No-13-5851.pdf

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Coulda woulda shoulda - those are not valid arguments against her protected religious freedoms. I did not see where her statement related to any event, just individuals of a protected class. She did not discriminate against the customer. She sold him flowers more than 20 times over nearly a decade.
The SC has ruled in other cases that religious freedom does not negate other laws. I think that is sensible, because anyone can believe anything, making every law unenforceable.

468 posts, read 583,117 times
Default I srand corrected on the law

Quote:
She has already lost on her religious claims, just as the bakers, and the photographer lost using the same claims.

Here is the public accommodation law for the state of Washington.

RCW 49.60.040: Definitions.

She sold goods, merchandise, and services.
So in Washington state the state forces you to give your labor or service. You have no choice. How totalitarian. No liberty there.

The judge was wrong on the ruling her Federally protected religious rights are trumped by state.

Doctors have quit because of the state demanding they perform abortions. NICE going state and whiners, keep tearing the country apart. Soon you will all choke on your stifling laws. 3000 Americans have given up their US citizenship. People used to flock to the US now they are fleeing. Nice going "liberals."

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Please post a link to this claim, as I have never heard of a florist staying to "assist the wedding party".

Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
She has already lost on her religious claims, just as the bakers, and the photographer lost using the same claims.

Here is the public accommodation law for the state of Washington.

RCW 49.60.040: Definitions.

She sold goods, merchandise, and services.
So now you are a Supreme Court Justice? Or are you just Carnac the Great and can see into the future.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Please post a link to this claim, as I have never heard of a florist staying to "assist the wedding party".

I already posted the link when I stated this information originally. I'm sure you can find it.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM

157 posts, read 96,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Quote business law governing the operation of business that says that on your private property you have to give your labor for opening the door to the public...... you are referring to. Never seen that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
So in Washington state the state forces you to give your labor or service. You have no choice. How totalitarian. No liberty there.
Have you been living under a rock for the last 60 years?

It's not just Washington State. 45 states have a nearly identical law to Washington, and the 5 that don't I believe do have a law that doesn't let businesses refuse service to handicap people. And also, there has been a federal law (enacted in 1964) that does the same thing as the Washington State law (although it covers fewer types of businesses since the Feds can only regulate interstate commerce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events