Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times

Advertisements

A journalist is hired to sell magazines. Nothing more, nothing less. It is the responsibility of consumers to punish companies that are going to fail to require quality reporting, but the consumers do not do that. Therefore, we should not be surprised that the standards for journalism are going downhill. As journalists are paid based on what they produce, or salaried and then terrorized for not producing enough, they will attempt to quickly get interesting pieces to market so they can get on with their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 AM

506 posts, read 426,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Phi Kappa Psi fraternity says its plans to pursue 'all available legal action' against Rolling Stone over 'reckless reporting' of UVA story | Daily Mail Online

Looks as if this woman, who accepted the story without any proof or verification, will get to keep her job. In fact RS doesn't plan to take any action against her.

Author of fake rape story - Sabrina Rubin Erdely
Please don't worry, I'm certain the women hating, Conservative Christians around the USA will send her more death threats than you can shake a stick at and certainly one of these Conservative Christians will try to murder her.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Please don't worry, I'm certain the women hating, Conservative Christians around the USA will send her more death threats than you can shake a stick at and certainly one of these Conservative Christians will try to murder her.
You should lay off those magic mushrooms. They are giving you delusions.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
HAHAHA...what in the world????
I think we are talking journalistic integrity here, not conservative Christians or whatever you are on about. Where do you even come up with stuff like this?

Back to the topic - I had a subscription for a long time to Rolling Stone. Stuck with them as they became less about music and more about current political events. Finally gave up on them in the early 2000's and cancelled when they made one of those boy bands Band of the Year (that, and of course, it's departure into the realm of political commentary, I hesitate to call it journalism) and Jan was destroying the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with his own selections (really Jan - no KISS? Yeah let's select Madonna instead. How long did it take Heart to be included?). At time however, they had some good satirists/journalists and contributors - PJ O'Rouke was excellent and of course there was Hunter Thompson which would come out from his drug-infused state every so often and contribute an article.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
HAHAHA...what in the world????
I think we are talking journalistic integrity here, not conservative Christians or whatever you are on about. Where do you even come up with stuff like this?

Back to the topic - I had a subscription for a long time to Rolling Stone. Stuck with them as they became less about music and more about current political events. Finally gave up on them in the early 2000's and cancelled when they made one of those boy bands Band of the Year and Jan was destroying the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with his own selections (really Jan - no KISS? Yeah let's select Madonna instead. How long did it take Heart to be included?). At time however, they had some good satirists/journalists and contributors - PJ O'Rouke was excellent and of course there was Hunter Thompson which would come out from his drug-infused state every so often and contribute an article.
Hold on there partner, KISS essentially is a lame boy band that does not even deserve to be in the dollar bin at a Pilot Travel Center.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What are you trying to hide? Have you been busy on the telephone again?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
I feel bad for the frat guys in particular on this one, which is possibly the first time that phrase has ever been uttered in history.

Even if the story is retracted, proven to be false, whatever, this will haunt all of them for a long time. There will always be whispers, and, even if you apply for a job, people are going to see University of Virginia and that will run through their heads.

About 12-13 years ago, I was a "victim" of an accusation far less salacious that this one that happened at my job. It was a felony, and could have absolutely ruined my life. This was probably the most stressful, nerve wracking thing that has ever happened to me. I went from being one of the most popular employees there (in a place of about 1500 people) to an absolute pariah. Everywhere I went, there were whispers, fingers pointing, etc. We started receiving a large number of harassing phone calls, my gf at the time was being harassed, etc. Even pseudo physical threats and actions, including someone threatening us and calling me "White Trash" in an elevator in front of about 10 other people at a Work Holiday Dinner. This is back in about 2003, pre smartphone, Facebook, etc, so I couldn't even imagine what would have happened these days with the Social Media Mob Scene.

Even though I was eventually cleared by the police, and the subsequent facts that came out later proved that it wasn't me, that incident followed me around that place for a long time and made it very uncomfortable at work until I eventually left.

I guarantee if you went back there now, and I haven't worked there in about 9.5 years, if you mentioned my name to some long term employees, that is the first thing they would remember.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Your certainty doesn't make it anything other than fantasy. I think you are projecting liberal tactics onto conservative Christians. What they are more likely to do is pray for her.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:

He's the same guy that was talking smack about the rich guy who paid to have a waiter's teeth fixed.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Rolling Stone Magazine.>>>DUH.

Two sentences from Rolling Stone Magazine's record review of the first lp by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, titled "Are You Experienced."--"Everything else is insane and it is simply a matter of either you dig it or you don't. I don't." DUH. >>>> " Dig it if you can but as for me, I'd rather hear Jimi play the Blues." DUH.

The individual who wrote that review in the November 9, 1967 issue? Jon Landau. Yes, that is the same Jon Landau who was involved in Bruce Springsteen's early career. DUH.

After reading that review, at the ripe old age of 17 I decided I didn't need to read anything they had to offer.

Fast forward to the 5/31/2012 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Lp's Of All Time. This LP comes in at number 15.

Forty seven and a half years later and this is what type of work they do? DUH.

Pathetic.
That was 45 years later. Publications do change their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
What about the girl who made up the story?
Her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What do expect from this terrorist-sympathizing rag?
Why, because they put the boston bomber on the cover & did an article on him? Yeah, real terrorist sympathizer there. Brilliant reasoning.

If that frat is like many other frats, they're going to regret going to trial where any & all dirty laundry is going to be out in the open. They'll probably rethink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events