Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Sorry, but that video is pretty clear. Maybe the cop can somehow convince everybody that police should actually be allowed to gun fleeing people down or that he thought the fleeing man was on his way to the store to purchase a gun, and then he was going to come back and shoot him.
You never should have said that, now Waldo will tell us that's what happened

Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I stand by my assertion that he's not a bad cop UNTIL proven otherwise by something other than just this shooting. Something happened to this cop to make him think shooting was ok. Now if evidence comes out that he's a "cowboy" or has had multiple incidents in his past then ok, I'll agree with you but until that time it was a bad decision for unknown reasons.
yeah, he's a good guy who just had a little 'lapse' in his goodness. You should be a defense attorney, I bet there are plenty of murderers who would hire you so you could make that case for them in court.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
How many times have you said this in the last 72 hours? Tell the truth, would you hire a guy like Scott? I mean... what do you think his credit rating was? Would he have been a good fit with the other upstanding people at your firm? Of course not. So... given that mindset among a large portion of the job creators, where are black men supposed to obtain gainful employment to support their responsibilities? Banging black men up for back child support is very lucrative for most states because it is a near certainty that a black man will be unemployed or underemployed due to the general dislike of black men by white people. There is a joke: "What is the difference between a hooker and a lawyer?" A hooker stops screwing you if you die. Scott is dead. I think he has paid for his crimes. At a certain point your continued harangue about Scott's failures as a man and a human being went beyond reasonable and now they just look ridiculous, self-righteous and... sanctimonious...
Some people will always justify their discriminations, no matter how absurd they may be.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Some of you are really reaching with your defense of this ex-cop. Quite sad really,

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
But murder two, not murder one, correct? I hate it when prosecutors overcharge. It leads to a lot of guilty people walking because the legal standards for murder one are pretty specific.

I don't know anything about this case, but just based on the scenario, wouldn't criminally negligent homicide be a more appropriate charge than murder? I mean, unless we get more info, it doesn't sound like a cold blooded execution to me, and I'm no cop lover. Not a cop hater, just prefer not to interact with law enforcement.

I too hate it when the prosecutor "over charges". Makes it all seem like a game (or like shopping in Tijuana)....and it certainly is serious business, not a game !

They do it to get you to plea it down and avoid a trial. I understand that, and it probably works, but none the less, if you think I'm guilty of second degree murder, then do the ethical thing and charge me with second degree and be ready to prove it in court....that's the way the system is supposed to work.

Yes Johnny, I understand it was just a gum ball, but you put it in your pocket and didn't pay for it, so we're charging you with felony grand larceny. We believe you were actively attempting to pocket far more than the one we caught you with.....so unless you wish to plead guilty to petty shoplifting, we will be forced to see you in court for a felony grand larceny charge. You'll have a felony record for life, and you'll not be able to vote, or own firearms.....so think long and hard about our benevolent "offer" of a petty shoplifting charge.

Extreme example of over charging....but I think you get the idea why "Johnny" (and most other defendants) might jump at the change to accept a plea bargain. Many (not all however) times the plea bargain is the charge they should have been charged with in the first place....the one they actually have a chance of proving beyond a reasonable doubt in court.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah, he's a good guy who just had a little 'lapse' in his goodness. You should be a defense attorney, I bet there are plenty of murderers who would hire you so you could make that case for them in court.
Why? Because I refuse to accept the meme that he's "a bad cop" just because (in this case) he screwed up big time? Nobody on here knows him or as of yet knows his history and so have no idea what or who he has been up to this point. He may for all we know be a great guy who just messed up.
Again, not saying he's innocent of this shooting.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,480 times
Absolutely horrible.

Regardless of Scott's credit, owing back child support etc, he did not deserve to die. I am surprised to even see any of the blame being placed on him, because he did nothing to deserve his death.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 04-13-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 PM

506 posts, read 426,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Some of you are really reaching with your defense of this ex-cop. Quite sad really,
Their ingrained racism, which they pass off as being fair, prevents them from admitting that this dark skinned fellow was clearly murdered by the police for no valid reason.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM

506 posts, read 426,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Why? Because I refuse to accept the meme that he's "a bad cop" just because (in this case) he screwed up big time? Nobody on here knows him or as of yet knows his history and so have no idea what or who he has been up to this point. He may for all we know be a great guy who just messed up.
Again, not saying he's innocent of this shooting.
I'd hope you'd be as understanding, if I just screwed up and shot your brother in the back multiple times as he was running away from me.

Why does it matter if he was a good guy or not?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I'd hope you'd be as understanding, if I just screwed up and shot your brother in the back multiple times as he was running away from me.

Why does it matter if he was a good guy or not?
It really doesn't matter in the end. I'm sure on any given day many good people (and otherwise upstanding citizens), make mistakes, use poor judgment, fail to control their anger, etc., and end up hurting or killing someone else. Regardless of their basic character, they still have to face the consequences of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events