Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

While I agree with some of the charges (and, note, agreeing with the charges does not mean that I agree that there should be convictions on the charges . . . I can't reach such a conclusion without knowing more of the evidence), the prosecutor here is being shown to be a joke with the whole confusion over whether the knife was legal/officers had probable cause to arrest. Even if the knife turns out to be legal, which is looking doubtful, the arrest still would likely be legal as a reasonable police officer would've thought, based on a reasonable interpretation of MD/Baltimore law, that the knife was legal (this is based on the description of the knife filed in the police report and based on details filed in indictment). Thus, the false imprisonment and assault charges must fail; others are saying that the misconduct charges must fall, too, but I'm not so sure, especially if those charges are also supported by a failure to log the first stop/timely call for medical assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:05 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's realistic to let cities go unpoliced and ungoverned? You're delusional.
I didn't say whole cities, I said ghetto areas.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
If they have a FAIR judge and crack defense-team, well, a lot of these delusional charges will be deep-sixed before the trial!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The way the cops are being hung out to dry by the mayor and the city government, I can't imagine why anyone would want to remain a police officer there. If I was a Baltimore cop, I would think of resigning and looking for a position in some other town where cop hating isn't the norm. The morale has to be terrible right now.
Most of those who want to see the cops "hang" are also not a fan of the Mayor Rawlings-Blake, or of the "city government", either. Every notice how it is always "faith" and "community" leaders having the discussions (assuming you follow Baltimore news) and working for change; the mayor is seen as corrupt by many and out-to-lunch by the rest; might as well not even be there.

For those of us are more local, it was understood these officers where going to get charged long before the riot made national news, and yes, to be used as the example. For one, it would help boost Baltimore's rather poor image as far as the rest of the country is concerned, and two, Baltimore has been wound up too tight for decades now. If the cops were not charged, the situation would have gotten even worse; perhaps the worse the country has seen. There are too many residents of Baltimore with literally nothing to lose. You know what they say: those with nothing to lose are the least afraid.

All Mosby did, by the way, was just bring the process out to the open. Otherwise, the whole event would have taken place behind closed doors in secret with the Grand Jury. Agree with her or not, this was the right move to make. And all she did was indict them, they could still be found innocent.

As for the Baltimore cops; many of them do not live in, nor are from, Baltimore City. That is a part of the problem.

Mayberry is probably the only place where "cop hating" is not the norm.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I didn't say whole cities, I said ghetto areas.
Oh, well sure, that's much more reasonable.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
That Senile old man is still around

Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Black suspects killed by police last year... 123
Black victims killed by black suspects in Baltimore this year.. hovering around 70 so far... in the United States its thousands

Democratic city for over forty five years...

Yep.. Id say this one is a witch hunt.. and works right into the federalism wish of liberals

Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Black suspects killed by police last year... 123
Black victims killed by black suspects in Baltimore this year.. hovering around 70 so far... in the United States its thousands
Blacks killed by police officers vs. Blacks killed by Black criminals.

If you can't make the distinction between the two than you might want to put that crack pipe down for a minute because I think you are confused.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Sheriff Clark has just made the same rush to judgement that he accuses the prosecutor of doing. The difference is the prosecutor has seen the evidence.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The way the cops are being hung out to dry by the mayor and the city government, I can't imagine why anyone would want to remain a police officer there. If I was a Baltimore cop, I would think of resigning and looking for a position in some other town where cop hating isn't the norm. The morale has to be terrible right now.
Let them have a trial. While I am totally against all the rioting and burning it does seem the officers acted at best unprofessionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events