Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Reno our Spanish Lavender would be thick with bees, but in the last two years you were lucky to find 4 or 5 bees on it. I'm pretty sure the HOA was spraying pesticides but they denied it and I was never able to catch them...what a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
This has been an ongoing problem for many years now. Seems to me we should have found and halted the real cause by now, rather than continue speculating on the bee's demise. Now they're calling it "Bee Flu"? Who's being paid off to say that?

The bees aren't just dying, they are disappearing. No bee corpses are ever found. There was a time when cell phones were being blamed...interfering with the bee's flight pattern or something. Has that theory been tossed out, in favor of Bee Flu?

Maybe they should come and look in my backyard. Wasps, bumblebees, hornets, yellow jackets... they are all over the place. Can I get a little Bee Flu here, please?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:25 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
This makes the most sense. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a conspiracy but they of course don't care about pollination from bees.

I think pesticides are responsible for at least a small amount of a lot of "newer" diseases (e.g., chronic pain, autism, inflammatory diseases) but no one is going to do the research on this.

60% in one year. This still blows my mind.
Actually I had a link, and just noticed I forgot to add it: New Harvard Study Proves Why The Bees Are All Disappearing | Collective-Evolution

Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Scary. I wonder if anything can be done to change this?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I don't know what it is but we're doing something that is messing with our bees. It could be anything from pollination practices to chemicals. One thing is for sure, if we screw them up we'll be in deep doo doo.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know what it is but we're doing something that is messing with our bees. It could be anything from pollination practices to chemicals. One thing is for sure, if we screw them up we'll be in deep doo doo.
Yes when someone makes a thread about some new "gift" congress gave Monsanto, everyone leaps on and defends them..."Business should get to do what they want! Blah to regulation!!"

Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes when someone makes a thread about some new "gift" congress gave Monsanto, everyone leaps on and defends them..."Business should get to do what they want! Blah to regulation!!"
So, when we have one major corporation supplying our food---will people become concerned?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
The last couple of years, our community newsletter has repeatedly included articles about the importance of relocating nuisance bee swarms and referrals to a service that will do so for a minimal fee. I'm so happy to see our neighborhood being proactive about this issue.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I think it maaaaaaay be GMO/pesticide activity. GMO is often used to put the pesticide IN the plant, so it's there, root-to-pollen - I'm suspecting. It may be a while before that is studied and/or admitted though.
That would make sense. They put the pesticide in the plant ( or in some cases, breed crops resistant to round-up for weed control) but never considered the effect on the bees. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

Would not surprise me one bit.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Bees and other pollinating insects are needed to help pollinate crops. If a crop flowers, it needs insects to pollinate it. We all need bees. Honey is great, but it's not the most important thing about bees.

What Our World Looks Like Without Honeybees - Business Insider

1/3 of the worlds crops uses bees for pollination. We are endangering Nuts, fruits, many vegetables, seeds, cotton, and oil from crops that require pollination.
Yep forget honey, this is their main function. Without them we are toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events