Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
How heart wrenching for that newborn baby who will never know her/his mommy

I am as equally sick of these anticop stories, Texan.

It seems to be such deep seated hate and or anger. Its odd.
How is this an anticop story?

He drove drunk and was arrested. You should be glad he didn't kill anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
How is this an anticop story?

He drove drunk and was arrested. You should be glad he didn't kill anyone.
Really... the post isn't anti cop but some of the posters absuolutely are....

OK.. back to reality
The officer will be held to a higher standard.. and should be.

If you are arrested and convicted for DUI on my department
You receive
30 days off without pay.. the maximum before you are automatically fired

You must attend departmental alcohol school

You must see the department psych

If you lose your license you are reduced to a civilian departmental employee ..obviously you cannot wear a uniform. Your badge and gun are pulled.

You will face a board of inquiry and potential termination . A drivers license is a requisite to be a policensn... we are required to maintain a clean license for every yearly performance review.

Failure to complete the above means termination

Police who drink are a liability to themselves ..the department.. and the public

Public that drink are a liability to themselves and others... the difference being by default police are held to a higher standard. The chance of a civilian losing their job for DUI is vastly less

Anyone driving with impairment whether alcohol marijuana or perscription meds has issues.. and needs help ... education.. or incarceration to figure out their stupidity or addiction

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-22-2015 at 03:59 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 04:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I expect that roughly 15% of the police have drinking problems including alcoholism. they are just a small part of the general population with the same problem.

FWIW - A BA over 0.2% is very dangerous for the person as well as anyone else on the road.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I expect that roughly 15% of the police have drinking problems including alcoholism. they are just a small part of the general population with the same problem.
Yes and many of the same people on here would argue it's a medical problem that deserves treatment (if he wasn't a cop). Cops are normal people also with normal personal issues.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:56 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have been around alcoholics all of my life. This can be a devastating disease. I am very sympathetic with people under the grip of demon rum.

The only program that I know of that works for some is AA. Even this does not stop the addiction but teaches some how to live without drinking.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I'm also learning that most DUI's, and those who get arrested for it chronically in fact are alcholholics. But that's a whole nother thread and discussion.

Basically, most of the population, outside of young adults, do not have issues with drinking and driving at all. A lot of the wrecks and havoc caused by drunk drivers are from those who are binge drinkers and alcholics. Alcoholics being #1.

I tend to classify crimes a little differently. For example, I do not believe this cop was acting maliciously.

I have a much bigger issue with someone abusing their power than making a mistake. We're all human.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Really... the post isn't anti cop but some of the posters absuolutely are....

OK.. back to reality
The officer will be held to a higher standard.. and should be.

If you are arrested and convicted for DUI on my department
You receive
30 days off without pay.. the maximum before you are automatically fired
Only 30 days? I thought DUIs meant automatic jail or prison time for all citizens. I'm not trying to criticize the police. I really thought DUIs were considered very serious offenses.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm tired of these anti-cop stories.
Me too. There wouldn't be any if cops were held accountable for their crimes! There wouldn't be any if cops would quit lying for each other or if they were prosecuted for crimes that they commit like regular Americans are!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Only 30 days? I thought DUIs meant automatic jail or prison time for all citizens. I'm not trying to criticize the police. I really thought DUIs were considered very serious offenses.
The thirty days is administrative... which amounts to an immediate hefty fine ... 5-8 k
This is all in excess of the actual criminal case... the officer has to do everything everyone else does... no special considerations... the average DUI in California costs over 13 k today.. .jail time reality is after third offense... because of overcrowding...
The criminal case is entirely different than the departmental actions

How many employers that a civilian works for does this....

Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 12:23 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The thirty days is administrative... which amounts to an immediate hefty fine ... 5-8 k
This is all in excess of the actual criminal case... the officer has to do everything everyone else does... no special considerations... the average DUI in California costs over 13 k today.. .jail time reality is after third offense... because of overcrowding...
The criminal case is entirely different than the departmental actions

How many employers that a civilian works for does this....

Thanks
Thousands upon thousands

I'm sure every trucker, cabby, courier, delivery driver, etc etc etc would be pretty happy with a 30 day administrative leave vs. being ****-canned and never allowed to work in their field again.

Those poor, poor officers who don't want to follow the same laws they enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events