Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It didn't actually cause your policy to go up, it caused your insurance company to have to stop selling you the policy you had that was not ACA compliant. I had the same thing, my own policy used to be $399 a month now it's $617, but it is a much better policy. To me everyone in a first world country should have access to insurance and health care. To me that is one of the things that makes a country "first world". Yes, it hurts, the increase, but again we would both have more options if the Repubs had allowed the public option that Obama wanted.
Then why can't we have REAL national healthcare?

"First world" countries do not charge their citizens for healthcare. The average German, Frenchman, etc does not pay much more in regular taxes than the average American. They merely pay something like a $5 copayment for treatment - even if that treatment includes expensive items like Chemotherapy.

"First world" countries protect their citizens and dont bilk them at any possible opportunity. Let's say I need my little paycheck to feed and house my family, and really dont have any left over to purchase health insurance for myself - how does that penalty help provide my family healthcare?

There are no children, and we earn just a tiny bit too much to qualify for Medicaid. What is that ever increasing penalty going to do for us?

The plan concerns me - a relatively liberal Democrat - because aside from the tax penalty, this is the first time in American History that I know of that working-class citizens are forced by law to purchase a product from a PRIVATE company. I cant believe that is NOT a concern to every citizen.

What's next on this list of things we are obligated by law to buy from private vendors, whether we can really afford it or not??

When the tally was last taken by WHO in 2000, the United States of America ranked 37th in the world for Healthcare. That indicates that 36 countries had better systems and offered better services. It's a shame WHO stopped taking the tally. It would be interesting to see if Obamacare has improved the quality of healthcare or not overall.

We should have a REAL national healthcare system covered by the taxes we already pay, just like any "first world" country has already had for some time, IMHO.

Where does all that money go??

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Cutting huge numbers of people off their health insurance is a good idea as most of those people are going to take it out on the Republicans. That is one of the Better Ideas the Republicans have ever had to rapidly reduce their political power. Keep it up guys.
Obamacare has been the gift that keeps giving for the Republicans. In March 2010 when signed into law, Democrats controlled WH, Sen, and House. In Nov. 2010, the GOP took back control of the House. In 2014 the GOP took back the Sen, and a major campaign ad theme was replaying videos of Senate Democrats who had repeated Obama's "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" line. Democrats even held a 26-24 majority of governorships in March 2010. GOP now holds 31, Democrats 18.

The only Democrat not victimized by Obamacare has been Pres. Obama himself, and he won in 2012 only because of his mastery of identity politics. Obama lost the white vote by 59% in 2012, but won the non-white vote by 80% and thus was able to keep his job.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Wrong, wutitiz. Not by 59%, nor by 80%. Romney's white vote % was 59% (a 18 pt plus), Obama's non white % was 80% (a 60 pt plus).

To win by 59%, Romney would have needed 79.5% of whote votes; to win by 80%, Obama would have needed a 90%-10% non white split.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Next step in this country is universal healthcare which will be taken out if individuals pay like social security.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Why are so many people against subsidized health care? Either way, it's not like an ER asks if people can pay before treating them.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

"First world" countries do not charge their citizens for healthcare. The average German, Frenchman, etc does not pay much more in regular taxes than the average American. They merely pay something like a $5 copayment for treatment - even if that treatment includes expensive items like Chemotherapy.

"First world" countries protect their citizens and dont bilk them at any possible opportunity. Let's say I need my little paycheck to feed and house my family, and really dont have any left over to purchase health insurance for myself - how does that penalty help provide my family healthcare?

There are no children, and we earn just a tiny bit too much to qualify for Medicaid. What is that ever increasing penalty going to do for us?

The plan concerns me - a relatively liberal Democrat - because aside from the tax penalty, this is the first time in American History that I know of that working-class citizens are forced by law to purchase a product from a PRIVATE company. I cant believe that is NOT a concern to every citizen.

What's next on this list of things we are obligated by law to buy from private vendors, whether we can really afford it or not??

When the tally was last taken by WHO in 2000, the United States of America ranked 37th in the world for Healthcare. That indicates that 36 countries had better systems and offered better services. It's a shame WHO stopped taking the tally. It would be interesting to see if Obamacare has improved the quality of healthcare or not overall.

We should have a REAL national healthcare system covered by the taxes we already pay, just like any "first world" country has already had for some time, IMHO.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems
Don't forget the cash boon handed to drug companies!
I've noticed since the ACA went into law a drop in quality of services, a drop in experienced doctors who either refused to take those insured under ACA companies or outright quit (retired) practicing medicine.
Case in point, my primary doctor "retired" at the end of last year. I talked with him before he retired and asked him why he was going to toss in the towel. He said "I can't practice medicine under the current conditions where I'm TOLD how to do my job by people who have no medical training or any contact with the patients I treat".
He went on to say that what we're going to see is only younger doctors that were trained in the last 5-10 years or so will remain in the healthcare system because they've been trained from the start to find the fastest,cheapest way to get a patient out the door without questioning "the powers that be" instead of what's best for the patient.

When those that champion this abomination called ACA have to fight their insurance company to get meds they need or go through months of misery hearing "try this (cheaper) drug (that doesn't work) instead" which is called Step Therapy or being told "you can't have this or that test due to age" or at a minimum have to wait for months instead of the days it used to take, maybe THEN you'll understand...

Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
It is NOT a "better policy" when your deductible goes from $250/year to $7000/year. It is now insurance that most people will never get to use unless they are in a catastophe.
I said MINE is much better than the old one.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Why are so many people against subsidized health care? Either way, it's not like an ER asks if people can pay before treating them.
If you remember, one of the selling points of ACA was to stop people from using the ER as a doctor's office.

As for Universal Healthcare? That will only work if a way can be found to avoid the pitfalls found in the other countries that currently have it.
That would take a bi-partisan group of legislators that don't consider the general public as STUPID.
Odds of that happening in our lifetime?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems
That would be awesome, and is exactly what everyone wanted, except the republicans, who did what they do best, scaring the general public, until there was no support for Universal health care. Vote liberal and in the future maybe we can get it.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Fascinating that people argue for or against "obama care" not because it is a good or bad plan, but because they identify as being democrat or republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events