Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Yes, because watching Texans suffer is interesting, and deserves a wide angle!
Exactly....why are people watching Midlothian's misery with such breathless anticipation?

If you care, send money. Or get down there and help clean up once the dam bursts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly....why are people watching Midlothian's misery with such breathless anticipation?

If you care, send money. Or get down there and help clean up once the dam bursts.
Yea. My 86 year-old in-laws got about a foot of water sent barreling into their house. Shall I post some pics to keep the party going?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
Now officials are saying that the dam won't break!

CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Now officials are saying that the dam won't break!

CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

What a bummer for you that must be.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
I'm right and you know it.
Who's got time to worry about dams when you've the Governor and at least one Senator are busy trying to foil the federal government's military takeover of Texas?
Jade Helm and Tinfoil Hats: Abbott, Cruz, Jade Helm, and the death of the sane GOP - News - The Austin Chronicle

But apparently they're not always worried about the big bad federal boogeyman - Texas is number one when it comes to receiving federal disaster relief.
The Troubled Relationship Between Texas and FEMA - CityLab

So I guess they'll have to tone down the FEMA IS RUNNING DEATH CAMPS! silliness for the time being.
FEMA "Death Domes" Popping Up Across Texas Raise Alarm As Jade Helm 15 Invades Southwestern America With Texas Listed Hostile

But rest assured, once the aid checks are cashed and the dams are rebuilt and things return to normal, the outwardly-expressed detachment from reality will resume. It always does.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
What a bummer for you that must be.
We have tornados. I've witnessed both an F5 and EF5 up close and personal. All too personal.

Disaster preparedness and disaster recovery are part and parcel of life in central OK.

We can bewail the weather, we can fight the weather.

OR we can learn to respect it. Observe and learn from it.

And primarily we can observe and learn from humankind's attempts to battle and control it.

Man vs Nature at Midlothian Dam is a educational moment about engineering.

What worked? What failed? Should the dam have been built differently? Or not at all?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Yea. My 86 year-old in-laws got about a foot of water sent barreling into their house. Shall I post some pics to keep the party going?
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they're OK. Did they have flood insurance?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM

This article has some still pictures from different angles showing more of the dam structure:

Engineers hopeful Padera Lake dam will hold - Fox4News.com | Dallas-Fort Worth News, Weather, Sports

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they're OK. Did they have flood insurance?
They do, thank you for asking. My husband has spent a couple days stripping rugs, etc off the floors and we have a crew coming in today to begin remediation. Yucky stuff. But how do you replace old belongings of parents that elderly? That's the big question. Sigh. Lucky we are all ok. We live just 20 miles from poor Wimberely. Those folks had it so much worse.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
We have tornados. I've witnessed both an F5 and EF5 up close and personal. All too personal.

Disaster preparedness and disaster recovery are part and parcel of life in central OK.

We can bewail the weather, we can fight the weather.

OR we can learn to respect it. Observe and learn from it.

And primarily we can observe and learn from humankind's attempts to battle and control it.

Man vs Nature at Midlothian Dam is a educational moment about engineering.

What worked? What failed? Should the dam have been built differently? Or not at all?
I'm married to a civil engineer. I get it. But your tone of breathless excitement seems a little ghoulish right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events