Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't have much hope.

I know. I held my nose as I voted for her.
So that's not saying much.

And the funny thing is Texas has had more Dem Governors then Repub Governors.
But these last few Governor elections didn't put forth any decent Dems to vote for.

Where are the Ann Richards or Bob Bullocks hiding ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why vote for her then?

I chose not to vote for Perry, because I refused to hold my nose. I knew I didn't want him as governor, or anything else for that matter, so I either voted for Kinky or skipped the race.

There are many times I don't vote in a particular race because I don't want either candidate. This idea of voting for the "lesser evil" is absurd to me.
Me too. I won't be doing that anymore. So far, I plan to stay home on election day '16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So that's not saying much.

And the funny thing is Texas has had more Dem Governors then Repub Governors.
But these last few Governor elections didn't put forth any decent Dems to vote for.

Where are the Ann Richards or Bob Bullocks hiding ?
Yeah really.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I chose not to vote for Perry, because I refused to hold my nose. I knew I didn't want him as governor, or anything else for that matter, so I either voted for Kinky or skipped the race.
Even as moderate I would have liked to seen Kinky Freidman become the Governor for at least 1 term.
He would have been fun and a real smart Azz much like Ann Richards.

Our Governor actually has very little power.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Heck, I vote for third party when I don't like either of the candidates.
The "lesser of two evils" won't even get my vote.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Pay attention to the Texas Legislature's agenda sometime.

Correct. However, we can avoid building in flood-prone areas, keep up maintenance on dams, bridges, etc.
I don't live anywhere near Texas and my state has plenty of it's own problems to worry about. This thread was about a Texas dam about to burst due to the recent insane rains not pregnant women and gay folks. You're supposed to stay on topic.

And this thread has gone into politics that have nothing to do with the dam bursting. Who one votes for governor doesn't have anything to do with a dam that's been under construction and in the works for years.

It's great news that the dam held especially since it was still under construction. The last thing Texas needs right now is more freaking rain.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't live anywhere near Texas and my state has plenty of it's own problems to worry about. This thread was about a Texas dam about to burst due to the recent insane rains not pregnant women and gay folks. You're supposed to stay on topic.

And this thread has gone into politics that have nothing to do with the dam bursting. Who one votes for governor doesn't have anything to do with a dam that's been under construction and in the works for years.

It's great news that the dam held especially since it was still under construction. The last thing Texas needs right now is more freaking rain.
Well then gripe about it to a moderator and have it moved to the Texas forum. I think it belongs there anyway.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 AM

672 posts, read 810,695 times
Quote:

It's the result of:
  1. Too much rain in too short a period of time.
  2. Not nearly enough investment in infrastructure/public works projects to accomodate all the people who INSIST on moving here.

The state is too busy handing out tax breaks to corporations, building toll roads, and trying to think up new ways to punish pregnant women and homosexuals to pay any attention to practical things like dams.
Reading the reports, this is a cofferdam in place where a dam is under construction. Would I be wrong in assuming this isn't infrastructure failing or the failure to build infrastructure? Would the accurate statement actually be this is where infrastructure improvement is already taking place and water overwhelming the job site?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
But its soooo much easier than having an original thought!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Reading the reports, this is a cofferdam in place where a dam is under construction. Would I be wrong in assuming this isn't infrastructure failing or the failure to build infrastructure? Would the accurate statement actually be this is where infrastructure improvement is already taking place and water overwhelming the job site?
If it's not this dam, it's another one that needed to be built but wasn't, or needed more work that wasn't done. Ditto for levees.

My general point (which you either missed or are deliberately ignoring) is that infrastructure spending as a whole has been insufficient for many years now. This isn't only in Texas.

Remember when that bridge in Minnesota collapsed in 2007?

That.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Who's got time to worry about dams when you've the Governor and at least one Senator are busy trying to foil the federal government's military takeover of Texas?
Jade Helm and Tinfoil Hats: Abbott, Cruz, Jade Helm, and the death of the sane GOP - News - The Austin Chronicle
Segue into the irrelevant. Are you trying to make some connection between a failing dam and whackadoodle politicians? News for you - Dams can always fail under sufficiently extreme conditions. There is very little in civil engineering that is designed for 100+ yr events. In most cases the cost is too extreme to justify it. You trade cost against probability of failure and the cost of that failure. This happens to be the wettest May on record and therefore surpasses any known maximum conditions that the dam could have been designed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati
But apparently they're not always worried about the big bad federal boogeyman - Texas is number one when it comes to receiving federal disaster relief.
The Troubled Relationship Between Texas and FEMA - CityLab
Hmm ... as disaster relief is parceled out to DISASTERS regardless of a state's politics then you must be questioning why Texas hits the top of the list in terms of number and severity of disaster events. It's really quite simple and has nothing to do with unwarranted begging for federal assistance. Even if you went purely by geography and assumed (incorrectly) that FEMA-worthy events occur with uniform probability across the area of the country then that alone would put Texas at number 2 on the list simply by virtue of being the second largest state. Unfortunately for us though, Texas on a per-area basis is one of the most disaster prone regions of the country. Factoid - the central Tx hill country is one of the world's most dangerous flash-flood zones. Tornadoes, droughts, extreme heat, hurricanes, floods and ice storms are not a sometimes thing for us. Most of that is seasonal. The weather here is ferocious beyond what most people know. We have a saying here - "Texas wants to kill you." ... and thus we are number one on that list.

Quote:
So I guess they'll have to tone down the FEMA IS RUNNING DEATH CAMPS! silliness for the time being.
FEMA "Death Domes" Popping Up Across Texas Raise Alarm As Jade Helm 15 Invades Southwestern America With Texas Listed Hostile
Give it a rest.

Quote:
But rest assured, once the aid checks are cashed and the dams are rebuilt and things return to normal, the outwardly-expressed detachment from reality will resume. It always does.
wtf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events