Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:43 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problems of inner city youth are bad parenting, not lack of religion. There's a lot of atheist parents that raise perfectly fine and moral children.
True, there are enough examples of religious bigotry that I have no problems saying it doesn't belong in school period.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Meanwhile, those with college educations in the US are now more likely to be religious than those without college education.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-1960s.html

I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture.
I'd like to see the data. I'd like to also see the rate of expansion of private religious colleges since 1960.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What do the mega churches teach? How important it is to be rich? Send missionaries overseas and ignore starving Americans. Teens are smart enough to see when a church buys a minister a fancy new car and there are kids who don't have enough to eat that they are hypocrites. Why wouldn't they get disillusioned? I know one church that buys its preacher a new Mercedes every year and he wears silk suits. A few blocks from his church are people living under an underpass in cardboard boxes because these "Christians" voted to cut mental health care and aid to the poor. Disgusting!
Quoted from truth. Millennials are very pro-social responsibility and seeing meagchurches not being socially responsible with the emphasis on wealth turns a lot of us off.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's sad news. Religion plays a real role in teaching people basic laws of humanity and how to treat your fellow man.

It's one of the problems of inner city youth.
people are just too smart for religion, it served its purpose hundreds of years ago when science didnt exist

Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's sad news. Religion plays a real role in teaching people basic laws of humanity and how to treat your fellow man.

It's one of the problems of inner city youth.
Are you kidding me? Church is huge in the inner city and you'd be shocked just how many troubled kids are actually at Sunday service regularly.

As for teens fleeing religion, that's been going on forever. Usually when a kid gets confirmed, said kid makes decision to go to church or not. Most sleep in on Sundays but so what. If they want to come back, they will come back when they are ready. It's called growing up.

As for learning humanity and how to treat your fellow man, you really don't need religion for that. Plenty of religions actually teach you how NOT to treat your fellow man. We don't go to church as much on Sundays as we used to. Not sure the exact reason - maybe we are inching toward atheism. But plenty of Sundays this past year have been spent working at the local soup kitchen. I'd say I'm being more effective there than in church.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Is it any wonder with an increasingly permissive society that our youth are fleeing ordered and full lives with the examples set for them
Corrupt politicians
Bloated government taking care of them
Fat cat corporate types
Over paid sports or Hollywood types
Horrible schooling
Decrepit parenting
Drug availability
Corrupt religions ..or the people who claim them
Lack of personal understanding of a relationship with god.

If there was ever a time our youth needed guidance its now
We aint getting it from the church. And the policies you support sure aint helping.

We're tire of hypocrites. That's what this Millennial says.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
There's Christians in #TheMovement. They actually have some really cool groups. Think a member of Korn? started one of them. They're like Christian Rockers.

I think your just going to see religion evolve honestly. And just because people are moving away from organized religion does not mean they're moving away from GOD (for the believers out there).

Many young people identify as 'spiritual' rather than a particular denomination or religion.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:46 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I was a non-belieiving teen and then at age 20 the Lord spoke to me. Granted, when I was younger I really didn't understand my faith (Christianity) nor could I recite any bible verses.

I am not intending to bash my parents, but I don't think I had a good introduction into Christianity. Even though they're married we only went to church with my mom (unless it was a holiday). Secondly, We stopped going at age 10. I never understand why we went to church, why we prayed, or anything the Bible said.
The only purpose I see to educating my kids in religion is to keep them from being manipulated into cults when they are older. I'm sorry, but what you are saying (hearing the Lord at 20) is very common among most people I know who are entrenched in mega-churches. They didn't have a formal religion growing up and now they had a moment of some divine intervention - which is fine - but then they go over the top proclaiming their faith and living with questionable beliefs. As my sister said about her neighbor who joined a mega church and now homeschools his kids "Yeah, he went to that church one day and got all 'God-y' all of a sudden."

Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Meanwhile, those with college educations in the US are now more likely to be religious than those without college education.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-1960s.html

I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture.
The thread you are referencing fails to note that the study it references didn't include anyone born after 1979. So it's difficult to determine if that's really a trend. The study's author notes as well that social changes in WHO is going to college may have more to do with his results than social changes regarding religiosity.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM

171 posts, read 197,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The only purpose I see to educating my kids in religion is to keep them from being manipulated into cults when they are older. I'm sorry, but what you are saying (hearing the Lord at 20) is very common among most people I know who are entrenched in mega-churches. They didn't have a formal religion growing up and now they had a moment of some divine intervention - which is fine - but then they go over the top proclaiming their faith and living with questionable beliefs. As my sister said about her neighbor who joined a mega church and now homeschools his kids "Yeah, he went to that church one day and got all 'God-y' all of a sudden."
You nailed the real benefit of being raised in a mild and boring mainstream church like the ELCA or UCC.

It makes you associate church with being bored and mildly annoyed and having to wake up on Sunday to be around a bunch of dorky Ned Flanders types. This effectively inoculates you against getting into weird crazy born again mega churches or other cults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events