Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

not a lawyer, but have been involved in several "non-compete" situations through the years.

the key element to a non-compete is a "quid pro pro"; ie, the employer can't dictate a non-compete without exchanging value for it. There must be reasonable compensation to the former employee for their non-compete.

Unless JJ's pays something of value to receive something of value, it's an unenforceable tactic to scare employees.

I seriously doubt that JJ's has anything so unique in their operation that a low level employee would have knowledge of it to the point that a former sandwich maker could damage a local franchise's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I worked there for about 2 weeks. The job sucks. Don't work there. I think the drivers make less than even domino's. Also no employees can work full time so they can't apply for health insurance through the job, but that's the same as any restaurant. His daddy gave him the money to start his business.
Dad loaned his son $25,000.

Dad could have loaned him $2.5 million but chose to allow his son to sink or swim.

Unlike most franchises, JJ's tend to be owner- operated. Comp is determined by the franchise owner and is competitive within the local market for similar work.

You are right. Almost all restaurants historically rely on part timers consistent , with peak time scheduling.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Also, depending on what someone may be hunting in Africa, "legal" can be a dubious term, at best.

As a hunter, JJ isn't exactly what I would call a 'conservationist,' or even someone who seems to give a s*&t about the environment (many hunters DO). He grew up a city kid who didn't do all that much hunting... until he became a rich businessman and discovered that hunting can be a rich man's past-time: something that allows you to brag and exude testosterone.

Most hunters I know have no respect for the guy. First, he hunts for trophies and not for food. He also hunts high-fence game farms - essentially 'zoos,' where you look at photos of the "cattle" that are on the property, pay for one you want to kill, and you go kill kill it. As if none of that is bad enough, he hunts with Jack Link, a man with zero respect for wildlife or the law and whose family has probably committed more wildlife violations than the entire population of a small state, combined.
Jimmy was not a city kid. He was raised about 50 miles NW of Chicago and attended a very expensive private school.

Big game hunting appeals to a segment of very wealthy people throughout the world. Think of the pix of Putin next to his kill. Tiger had no chance.

JJ trends crude and brags about his kills.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
I simply have no respect whatsoever for anyone who sees the killing of elephants as fun.

No, Jimmy John is not concerned with elephant over-population, which is real in some parts of Africa. He's not fascinated by the strategy of the hunt, when he's being driven around by local guides who locate the game and tell him when to shoot. He's just a guy who likes pulling the trigger and watching an elephant fall. Then he thinks... "Cool!", and mugs for a photo with the carcass.

And that's nothing less than contemptible.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think I've only eaten at a Jimmy John's twice, but I'll make a point to never set foot in one again. What an @ss!

Jimmy John's CEO under fire in new lawsuit - San Antonio Express-News
I have never eaten at Jimmy John's but I sure as hell plan on it now. Anyone that can get so many Liberals panties in a wad is someone I will do business with. Now if he was shooting Elephants and Leopards and serving them up to his customers (without notification) I might feel otherwise.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:13 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have never eaten at Jimmy John's but I sure as hell plan on it now. Anyone that can get so many Liberals panties in a wad is someone I will do business with. Now if he was shooting Elephants and Leopards and serving them up to his customers (without notification) I might feel otherwise.
You mean if the animals he killed were actually eaten rather than stuffed as trophies?

It's interesting that you grant more moral consideration to the deception of the customer with regards to the type of meat being sold than to the killing of an innocent and beautiful creature. You may dislike liberals, but I'm certain there are many conservatives who disagree with you as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:46 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You mean if the animals he killed were actually eaten rather than stuffed as trophies?

It's interesting that you grant more moral consideration to the deception of the customer with regards to the type of meat being sold than to the killing of an innocent and beautiful creature. You may dislike liberals, but I'm certain there are many conservatives who disagree with you as well.
Ever had a Hamburger or Turkey Sandwich ? Cows, pigs and turkeys are gods creatures also and we kill them.

They have many uses beyond the dining table.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:56 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
Isn't Jimmy john's function in the sandwich market to serve as an entity that makes Subway look (or taste) good by comparison? Or is it to make a dent in the worldwide mayonnaise glut? By the low standards of 2015 fast food, it's pretty dreadful.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:32 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever had a Hamburger or Turkey Sandwich ? Cows, pigs and turkeys are gods creatures also and we kill them.

I do not eat burgers or turkey sandwiches, and I'm not sure why you assumed I do. However, I am not sure you understood my post. I was pointing out the irony of gunluvver taking exception if the animals that were killed by JJ were actually eaten rather than simply serving as trophies. I'm not sure what "many uses" you are referring to, but I wouldn't consider killing an animal in order to have a trophy a legitimate, justifiable "use."

Old 06-06-2015, 04:37 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

There is a difference between animals being raised for slaughter vs. animals that are rare and endangered. Perhaps there shouldn't be, but there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events