Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This in particular should be properly guided in a class on current events, if they have one.

Question, do you feel high school students should be allowed to openly engage in advocating for one side of a controversial subject or group?

Let's say you had a group of students who wanted to allow prayer before football games. Should they be able to put up displays, hand out fliers and make public addresses in common areas between classes and at lunch?
Assuming that the local laws say "no prayer allowed before football games", and the students wanted to peacefully protest that law by displaying artwork to that effect in the school, yes, that should be okay. And this is coming from an atheist who feels strongly that religion should not be any part of public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:27 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
Quote:
This in particular should be properly guided in a class on current events, if they have one.

Question, do you feel high school students should be allowed to openly engage in advocating for one side of a controversial subject or group?

Let's say you had a group of students who wanted to allow prayer before football games. Should they be able to put up displays, hand out fliers and make public addresses in common areas between classes and at lunch?

Yes of course. As long as they are not harassing or bullying students who do not seek to engage in prayer why not. I was the Vice President of my schools GSA 14 years ago. Coming out was controversial at the time. I was allowed to speak to students just as the member of any other group was. I was allowed to post flyers, though we never did. Why shouldn't another group that is not targeting another in intimidation not be allowed to do the same.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:38 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Completely inappropriate for a publicly funded school to be teaching such racial demagoguery and putting it on public display. If the roles were reversed, and the "artwork" showed a black thug beating a white victim (which, by the way, is far more common than the scenario displayed), imagine the outrage from the perpetually outraged, complaining about the "stereotyping" involved.
Yes, there was a thread about some high schoolers who posed for a prom picture with a confederate flag and guns. They did this on private property but made the mistake of putting the photo on FB. There was lots of outrage, stereotyping and name calling over the flag. I guess they should have labeled it "art work".

Old 06-10-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, there was a thread about some high schoolers who posed for a prom picture with a confederate flag and guns. They did this on private property but made the mistake of putting the photo on FB. There was lots of outrage, stereotyping and name calling over the flag. I guess they should have labeled it "art work".
I haven't ventured into that thread because it seemed silly in the title. Were people calling for the picture to be removed or for the school to intervene?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was done in Art class at the high school.

This is just an exhibit of the work they are doing in school for grades.

Given that then-AG Holder's own report confirmed what people already knew, the Hands up, don't shoot entry should be in the Fiction department of the school library.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Assuming that the local laws say "no prayer allowed before football games", and the students wanted to peacefully protest that law by displaying artwork to that effect in the school, yes, that should be okay. And this is coming from an atheist who feels strongly that religion should not be any part of public school.
Agreed! As long as no one is forced to participate, that is constitutionally protected free speach.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I haven't ventured into that thread because it seemed silly in the title. Were people calling for the picture to be removed or for the school to intervene?
Some felt they should be suspended for school, barred from college, denied jobs, many labeled they white trash, redneck, and so forth.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Yes of course. As long as they are not harassing or bullying students who do not seek to engage in prayer why not. I was the Vice President of my schools GSA 14 years ago. Coming out was controversial at the time. I was allowed to speak to students just as the member of any other group was. I was allowed to post flyers, though we never did. Why shouldn't another group that is not targeting another in intimidation not be allowed to do the same.
What if a teacher were to put up a display made by these students in the common area?

My issue isn't with the school allowing controversial subjects to be discussed between students, my concern is when it's sanctioned in such a way that it might be perceived as an endorsement if you will.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
What if a teacher were to put up a display made by these students in the common area?

My issue isn't with the school allowing controversial subjects to be discussed between students, my concern is when it's sanctioned in such a way that it might be perceived as an endorsement if you will.
As long as the teacher is a facilitator and not speaking for the students I don't see a problem. The school is endorsing the students ability to speak in a non violent manner not the speech itself. We need to stop teaching kids and ourselves to get offended at the drop of a hat.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
As long as the teacher is a facilitator and not speaking for the students I don't see a problem. The school is endorsing the students ability to speak in a non violent manner not the speech itself. We need to stop teaching kids and ourselves to get offended at the drop of a hat.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thank you for the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events