Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 02:18 PM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Yes that brings me to another question so now not only can you change your gender, you are now saying you should be able to make up a whole new race for yourself? Is faking a disability next? Will people "transition" to being in a wheelchair or claiming to have some other disability because they feel " connected " to people with disabilities? When will this insanity end? I do not buy into it. Starting to think it is getting out of control.
People have been faking disabilities for a loooong time. You have only to look at the SSI rolls to know that is a very widespread deception. The question is whether we as a nation are now willing to allow people to decide that biology is immaterial to deciding their gender, race, or ability status. It does appear that we have indeed decided how one feels is more important than the reality presented by biology. When will the insanity end? When our nation implodes as historically all great nations have when the focus becomes doing what is in the best interest of the individual instead of doing what is in the best interest of the nation. It is what it is.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:58 PM

162 posts, read 155,893 times
Clearly her race is oompa loompa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 03:11 PM

17,637 posts, read 17,730,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Do you really care whether Rachel Dolezal is black, or green, or pink and purple stripe?

Shouldn't the measure be what, if any, difference did she make in the black community?

What it is the parents game? Money? What does the black community think?
Not if she claimed to be black on legal documents to gain financial benefits or hiring preferences. Then it becomes a legal matter.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not if she claimed to be black on legal documents to gain financial benefits or hiring preferences. Then it becomes a legal matter.
But only if the race was material to the decision. If they hired her bc of her race then maybe she's in hot water. If it was because she was the best candidate regardless of race, then I'm not sure the fraud resulted in any damage. Of course, she may have been the best candidate because of experienced gained through other fraudulently acquired ventures. It certainly has spanned a long time. I don't think she can explain away lying about her race to get the Howard scholarship. That's the most glaring thing to me.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But only if the race was material to the decision. If they hired her bc of her race then maybe she's in hot water. If it was because she was the best candidate regardless of race, then I'm not sure the fraud resulted in any damage. Of course, she may have been the best candidate because of experienced gained through other fraudulently acquired ventures. It certainly has spanned a long time. I don't think she can explain away lying about her race to get the Howard scholarship. That's the most glaring thing to me.
As I said before, is a dilemma faced by the NAACP. They have to make sure that any adverse action they might take against this woman is fully understood as a matter of her deceit, not her race.

One would think that should be obvious--white people have always held high offices in the NAACP from its very inception. But the enemies of the NAACP would ignore that and claim "Hypocrites!" in a heartbeat.

In fact, that was done early in this very topic before the NAACP had even made a statement about the matter.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I said before, is a dilemma faced by the NAACP. They have to make sure that any adverse action they might take against this woman is fully understood as a matter of her deceit, not her race.

One would think that should be obvious--white people have always held high offices in the NAACP from its very inception. But the enemies of the NAACP would ignore that and claim "Hypocrites!" in a heartbeat.

In fact, that was done early in this very topic before the NAACP had even made a statement about the matter.
Yep, 100% agreed. Which is why I think if she voluntarily stepped down, it would be one of the best things she could do for the NAACP if she is really committed to their cause.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
All these new dna testing things are making the race subject very confusing. Don't most people only go back just a few generations when talking about their race? How far back do the dna tests go? To the caveman days? At one point are most of us related to some other race somehow if you go back far enough? And what bearing does it even have on their race now? If this clearly white woman had dna testing and found one black connection to an ancestor 10,000 years ago does that make her be able to claim she is black now?
I agree and that's my question also when it comes to "race being defined by a DNA test." For instance, my kids are about half white European and then they are about 5/8s Western African and about 3/8 Native American. What "race" are they defined as via a DNA test?

No, in my opinion, people can identify with whatever race, ethnicity, or culture they want to, as long as they do two things:

1) Be honest, and
2) Accept the fact that if they choose to self identify with some culture or ethnicity or whatever that is at odds with peoples' general perception of how that group of people look, then they are likely to get some odd looks or rolled eyes from time to time. For instance, I can claim to be Japanese, take on any and all aspects of Japanese culture, immerse myself in the culture in fact, but if I claim to be Japanese, it's going to be a real stretch for most people to accept. And that's OK, if that's what I think my calling is, but I shouldn't be surprised if I'm not chosen to play a geisha in the local theater play.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm still wondering how they were personally affected by it? There's a lot that we don't know but everything indicates they were less than ideal parents themselves. It's nice to think they had such altruistic intentions but I doubt they are such divine individuals as some here would like to believe.
They're humans too. Maybe they were just sick and tired of playing along with or enabling or ignoring her incessant lying and hurtful rejection of who they really are.

It would be personally very insulting and hurtful and maybe they had just had all they could take. It's not like she was a needy, lost, dependent pre teen - she was a grown woman with a successful career and she apparently doesn't need or want their support.

Sounds like their daughter could dish it out but she couldn't take it. Or maybe she can. Guess we'll find out.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Of course Rachel is supporting claims that there was abuse in the family ... she needs people to believe that she had to hunt with a bow and arrow when she was hungry, and that her parents beat her siblings with a baboon whip. She wants to be a victim, and she wants to turn others into victims as well. She's a nutbar.
And what the heck is a baboon whip????????????????

Maybe it's what they use to whip baboons as they pull a sled across the frozen tundra....

What on earth...

Old 06-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They're humans too. Maybe they were just sick and tired of playing along with or enabling or ignoring her incessant lying and hurtful rejection of who they really are.

It would be personally very insulting and hurtful and maybe they had just had all they could take. It's not like she was a needy, lost, dependent pre teen - she was a grown woman with a successful career and she apparently doesn't need or want their support.

Sounds like their daughter could dish it out but she couldn't take it. Or maybe she can. Guess we'll find out.
I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. I was directing that post more towards the people who saw the parents as upholding the greater good by exposing their daughter in the public interest. Maybe that was the effect, but the intent? No, to that I roll my eyes. If they were such saintly people they'd have done it years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events