Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:48 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times

Advertisements

Should this not be in work and employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 01:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm retired in my 20s. Life doesn't change THAT much. Granted, I love not going to work!
Yea, homeless people can state they are "retired" also and do not have to go to work, your point? Most people who think of "retirement" think of doing something other than sitting in their house all day while rejoicing they do not have to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Hey, eddie, so are you writing from your yacht, your second home in the caribbean or from a posh hotel in Europe? Just wondering….
Not even close...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/perso...ar-retire.html

Old 06-20-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Same here, a vacation day was a day I wasn't making any money and I went out bidding jobs.
There is more to life than working...

My dad, and my uncle, both business owners for over 40 years, both took vacations every year. The owner of my last company I worked for, took vacations every year. My wife's last three companies she worked for the owners took vacations every year. Basically, you being a business owner does not make you immune from the ability of taking vacations, unless you just really do not want to, which is fine, but not fine to pin it on being "a business owner".

Old 06-20-2015, 02:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
An interesting article relating to this. I do find the idea of the "paid paid" vacation interesting. There are valid points.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...rs-to-go-away/

Old 06-20-2015, 02:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
I would take as many vacation days as Bush did while president. Nearly half his presidency was spent on vacation.
At least he was at his own place and not in Hawaii or Martha's Vinyard. It's about time for that annual foray, no?

Bush had a woking ranch and was seen in work clothes in interviews. The current POTUS is usually playing golf or doing girly things. How much time has he spent in DC?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:21 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I share an office with someone who has unlimited vacation days. I don't think it has changed his vacation schedule at all from when he had only 2 weeks.

He has a good work ethic so it doesn't matter to him how many days he has.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Americans are more concerned about vacation days and salaries than they are about working hard for their employer and turning out an excellent product. Yet we wonder why most of our jobs have been sent overseas.
Speak for yourself. I love my job and look forward to each day of work.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:03 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
deleted - wrong post

Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Americans are more concerned about vacation days and salaries than they are about working hard for their employer and turning out an excellent product. Yet we wonder why most of our jobs have been sent overseas.
Most Americans do not have the sole input into the quality of the product. They show up, do as instructed by management, and go home. Employees obviously have personal interests in mind going to work, just as the business has the business in mind when dealing with employees. A business, as history has shown, would own slaves if it could lawfully get away with it, just as an employee would take as much money for little in exchange if they could get away with it.

Jobs have been sent overseas not because of US workers, but for many factors. Most importantly some of these factors is the evolution of manufacturing, in which machines have become more precise at a cheaper costs removing the skilled human factor, and companies taking advantage of laxed labor and environmental regulations.

Given the perception of things made in China for example, I would not say quality was one of the strong points on why companies shifted over there.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Unlimited vacation days, eh? Given so many don't use their current yearly allocation in a year because they are so busy....

The "if it sounds too good to be true" thing is ringing very loudly in my ears. Though I will say kudos to the marketing folks on this one to pull in the wide eyed/yet eyes shut crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events