Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
Its already been mentioned, but bares repeating; Racists don't usually come out into the open. This is for various reasons. Its likely he never said an openly racist thing to his black friend. He may even thought of his black friend as 'not really black', 'not one of them', and made him an exception.
I doubt a racist would think a singular black person is somehow not "black". If the shooter was racist, he would have not engaged on a personal level with a black person.

Quote:
He chose elderly women and male church goers instead. He would've got his ass handed to him if he said the wrong thing to his black friend and knew it. Racism is built from fear. He is no different.
I do not like the assumption that his friend would have resorted to violence; perhaps his friend would have used wisdom and assisted the shooter in righting his mentality.

Quote:
Personally, I think the black dude feels pity for him. Everything he says indicates pity; this Dylann wasn't on his radar, most likely was a virgin, isolated and a figure of loneliness. From that perspective, his view on Dylann is understandable, but irrelevant.
I agree his view is irrelevant, but it might be relevant in the pursuit of hate crime charges. Reason is that the defense would have something to refute the racism, as in a racist would not be friends with a black person. This would also lend credibility to the mental illness defense as they can demonstrate a rather rapid descent into being a racist, and that if he truly was, he would not know this black person, so his actions recently up the shooting were a result of a mental illness. (I am playing defense here, I already stated somewhere that I do not think is mentally ill and it does not even matter if he was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 01:34 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Now, I do have a question..his family has had absolutely nothing bad said about them at all..My research indicates something very very different...It sure does explain a lot about this 21 year old. He is filled with hate, reputation for being a bully in high school.. Why hasn't the media jumped all over this?? Why would this judge in the bond hearing with days of this massacre..and victim's family right there in front of him..declare that DR's family are victim's too?? Last I read..they are still alive??
Warning~ Graphic content
Charleston shooter Dylann Roof's 'violent' father beat stepmother | Daily Mail Online
Reading that article makes me wonder what became of his real mother...I don't think it mentioned her at all.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Reason is that the defense would have something to refute the racism, as in a racist would not be friends with a black person.

I disagree with that assessment.

There are plenty of men out there who hate women, yet continue to have relationships with them. Many relationships, because eventually their hatred starts showing and they have to move on to the next unsuspecting woman.

Also, he could have been friends with this person, but he stated that it was the Trayvon Martin case that started him off to do what he did. When did he read about that? Was he still 'friends' with the Black guy after that?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Really anyone that can do what he did has a screw loose. From what I've heard, Dylan has serious metal health issues...doesn't mean he shouldn't be put out of his misery imo.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:45 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Maybe he was planning to take out his black friend later ... He did attempt to befriend the people he murdered one hour before killing them. Psychopath.
That's a valid point to consider, he was one evil bastard.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:51 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Reading that article makes me wonder what became of his real mother...I don't think it mentioned her at all.

This is all I could find on Dylann's birth mother...Yikes!!

Charleston Church Shooter Dylann Storm Roof

Quote:
Dylann’s parents Franklin Bennett Roof and Amy Coles Roof were married on February 20, 1998, when Amy was roughly five months pregnant. Their daughter, Amber, was born four months later on June 15, 1988. Nearly two years later, they split up in June, 1990
You can see by my underlined portion of the quote from article that it was a TYPO given the timeline outlined.

Quote:
At the time, neither Franklin nor Amy could have predicted that they would reunite to have yet another child, Dylann, together in 1994 — nor that he would grow up to be a sick killer.

Last edited by Lyndarn; 06-20-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 01:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Of course he didn't say anything racist to you.

Dude weighs 80 pounds soak and wet. He didn't want his butt kicked.

He might think he'll be safe in prison hanging out with the aryan brotherhood (AB), but even THEY will make him someone's woman in the penn. He can't fight, so what would he be good for?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Of course he didn't say anything racist to you.

Dude weighs 80 pounds soak and wet. He didn't want his butt kicked.

He might think he'll be safe in prison hanging out with the aryan brotherhood (AB), but even THEY will make him someone's woman in the penn. He can't fight, so what would he be good for?
What, you are saying black people automatically react with violence to verbal racist statements?

I would think you would expect a better reaction out of blacks, instead of stereotyping them as resorting to violence every chance they get.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
He absolutely is a racist POS and had racist motivations for his crime. And I think he was mentally deranged as well. The two are not mutually exclusive. But then again, I think racism is a mental defect as it is entirely illogical on its face. Makes no sense whatsoever like other irrational phobias make no sense.

Of note, it's College of Charleston, not university. Just over one block away from the church. My daughter attends there so a bit scary for her father and I.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:15 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
He may not have always been a racist but I firmly believe his anger was racially motivated.

For whatever reason something in his head went haywire and he did an indefensible, horrible thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events