Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Prove its "most people" and maybe you have a point. Take the total native born Southern population and collect their vote. Then, take the 'oulier' vote, and see who truely wins.

How many Native Southerners will care about an outsiders opinion? How much do you care about an outsiders opinion of you and yours?
Prove it's not most people - back at ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh please..do tell what is the 'big picture'? Is it that nothing is wrong if someone else did it at some point in time? And "fuel my emotional trauma" Actually I am quite dispassionate about historic events, but I am smart enough to sort fact from fiction and discuss issues rationally.
That slavery and racism go way beyond and predate the confederacy. That politics and war are complex and never cut and dry over one issue.

You condemn the confederacy or more specifically the confederate battle flag for the institution of slavery and those who display it as racists yet wont even acknowledge the fact that the very thing that gnaws at you was practiced and supported under many flags.

The fact that modern society believes slavery is wrong is not in dispute. The fact that during the mid 1800's societies were becoming enlightened and condemning slavery is not in dispute. The fact that many did not want to let go of slavery for economic reasons is not in dispute.

The articles you posted have nothing to do with the confederate flag. You are confusing slavery with racism. Again the big picture, the institution of slavery and racism are not the same are not mutually exclusive and neither were created or confined to the confederacy.

The big picture is that if one condemns one group for their past behavior and beliefs logically one would condemn all other groups for the exact past behavior and beliefs.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Prove it's not most people - back at ya!
Lol, kk. I dont have to prove it. Its self evident. The flag has been in schools and on television and in movies since the Civil War - without your preferred definition attached to it for well over 100 years now.

The burden of proof is on the outsiders. Sorry, but its true.

I would honestly think you would be more concerned about those hate-mongering white sheets found at most reail outlets. *shrugs*

Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That slavery and racism go way beyond and predate the confederacy. That politics and war are complex and never cut and dry over one issue.

You condemn the confederacy or more specifically the confederate battle flag for the institution of slavery and those who display it as racists yet wont even acknowledge the fact that the very thing that gnaws at you was practiced and supported under many flags.

The fact that modern society believes slavery is wrong is not in dispute. The fact that during the mid 1800's societies were becoming enlightened and condemning slavery is not in dispute. The fact that many did not want to let go of slavery for economic reasons is not in dispute.

The articles you posted have nothing to do with the confederate flag. You are confusing slavery with racism. Again the big picture, the institution of slavery and racism are not the same are not mutually exclusive and neither were created or confined to the confederacy.

The big picture is that if one condemns one group for their past behavior and beliefs logically one would condemn all other groups for the exact past behavior and beliefs.
Forget the Civil war, forget slavery - the flag was largely forgotten until Strom Thurmond resurrected it in 1948 as a symbol of opposition to oppose the integration of the armed forces and civil rights legislation. After that it was used in other Southern states to oppose desegregation efforts. You can deny that, or you can say you don't think that tainted the image of that flag- that's your choice. I can't change your mind and I don't intend to try to do so.

The Complicated Political History Of The Confederate Flag : It's All Politics : NPR

Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Lol, kk. I dont have to prove it. Its self evident. The flag has been in schools and on television and in movies since the Civil War - without your preferred definition attached to it for well over 100 years now.

The burden of proof is on the outsiders. Sorry, but its true.

I would honestly think you would be more concerned about those hate-mongering white sheets found at most reail outlets. *shrugs*
I don't care if you have a dress made out of confederate flags, I don't care if you worship it or put one on the back of your pickup truck. That is your choice, but if a black person walks up to a courthouse or government building adorned with one, I think they would have reason to be concerned about how fairly they will be treated. I'm sorry if you don't get that.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Can't wait to read this response...
Good question.

I grew up in the South during the 1950s and 60s and there was no doubt that the Confederate flag was being used as a symbol for segregation, Jim Crow and opposition to equal rights for blacks.

If we were just debating the history of a short lived rebellion 150 years ago that would be one thing. While there's no doubt that the Civil War was fundamentally about the South's desire to protect slavery, there's also plenty of blame to be laid on the North.

However, in the 1950s the confederate flag took on a new level of symbolism when it became the banner for the continuation of segregation and opposition to civil rights. That's why the problem goes far beyond the Civil War.

Last edited by arjay57; 07-01-2015 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
The Confederate flag is a flag of treason against our country, the United States. For that reason alone it shouldn't be flown by any governmental body within the US.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The Confederate flag is a flag of treason against our country, the United States. For that reason alone it shouldn't be flown by any governmental body within the US.
But that determination was not made at the end of the Civil War. Who fears the flag of a conquered people? Who would be dumb enough to project such a weak image for their nation?

I guess no state should fly any flag other than the New World Order one.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
The flag doesn't bother me, no flag bothers me. What bothers me is that is the flag is used as a symbol of hate.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The flag doesn't bother me, no flag bothers me. What bothers me is that is the flag is used as a symbol of hate.
Yes, that bother me too, but what can anyone do about that?

I dont even think a Law Suit could prevent it in the case of the KKK. The orgainization began as a small group of Confederate soldiers. They would certainly have a right to use it. Even today, the organization is a small group of American citizens nationwide, that use the US flag as well.

I remember there was a time in the country when people would say, "I may not agree with what you say, but I would die for your right to say it." The passion behind freedom of speech - and, unfortunately, nuts have a right to free speech as well, because if you remove that right - you risk losing your own along with it.

Same with freedom of relgion in the case of crosses and bibles.

Hate groups - even the KKK - are not confined to the South anymore - not that they ever were. I think the only thing we can do is try not to let the haters own it.

What is inately Southern about throwing up a Nazi salute anyway? Its not a Mint Julep or a Bar-be-qued rib or anything. Just crazy.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-01-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events