Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So if I hold a French fry in my hand & someone takes a picture of it, can I blame the French fry?
Only if they hang the french fry from the state house. Your argument is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed.

Rational people don't deny racism or white supremacy played a very large role in the institution of race based slavery.

Rational people don't deny racism or white supremacy played a very large role in the institution of race based segregation.

The American Civil War lasted 4 years & ended slavery. The resistance to civil rights lasted another 100 years & resulted in enforced segregation. Racism/white supremacy still exists in the present day.

North, South, East or West - why anyone is proud of this is beyond my understanding. Although it's really more about 'saving face' than being proud. Defending the indefensible, justifying the unjustifiable, rationalizing the irrational ... none of it makes sense ... seeking to legitimize the illegitimate.
This is the thing. Alot of people I've met who stubbornly defend the Confederate flag, or try to gloss over the Confederate cause, I've noticed a high level of irrational thinking. One can post facts, but there are those are think in such an irrational way that it won't matter.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Alot of people I've met who stubbornly defend the Confederate flag, or try to gloss over the Confederate cause, I've noticed a high level of irrational thinking. One can post facts, but there are those are think in such an irrational way that it won't matter.
Those claiming 'heritage not hate' have lost their argument, it cannot be rationally articulated.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:02 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
When your battle flag was raised above South Carolina's State house in 1960s the people speaking for themselves were saying things like "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."
And I'm sure if one took an overall look at the situation one would find that not every one was of the same mind; the same 'conscience'.

Out of "Good' came something 'Bad' (comparison example)

If all a person wants to see is every negative thing that happened in an event, then that is all they will see and there is no changing of their mind and/or conscience.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, many writing on this forum seem to think that slavery was generally legal until after the Civil War. There were many initiatives before then.

•1777 Constitution of the Vermont Republic partially banned slavery, freeing men over 21 and women older than 18 at the time of its passage. The ban was not strongly enforced.
•1780 Pennsylvania passes An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery, freeing future children of slaves. Those born prior to the Act remain enslaved for life. The Act becomes a model for other Northern states. Last slaves freed 1847.
• 1783: Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court rules slavery unconstitutional, a decision based on the 1780 Massachusetts constitution. All slaves are immediately freed
• 1783: New Hampshire begins a gradual abolition of slavery.
• 1784: Connecticut begins a gradual abolition of slavery, freeing future children of slaves, and later all slaves.
• 1784: Rhode Island begins a gradual abolition of slavery.
• 1794: The United States bans American ships from the trade and prohibits export by foreign ships in the Slave Trade Act
• 1802: Ohio writes a state constitution that abolishes slavery.
• 1804: New Jersey begins a gradual abolition of slavery, freeing future children of slaves. Those born prior to the Act remain enslaved for life. The process later becomes complete with the ratification of the 13th Amendment in 1865.
• 1806: In a message to Congress, US President Thomas Jefferson calls for criminalizing the international slave trade, asking Congress to "withdraw the citizens of the United States from all further participation in those violations of human rights … which the morality, the reputation, and the best of our country have long been eager to proscribe."
• 1807, 2 March: The US makes international slave trade a felony in Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves; this act takes effect on 1 January 1808.
and so on…...
Yet, the Union (FED) did not establish equality of 'all men' until 100+ years later and the heritage of the people's whose belief was in the Union is not under scrutiny.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The irrational thought is that the "Battle Flag" is something, that it isn't. The gloss over in this case are those who will go along with the majority and 'details' won't matter to them.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And I'm sure if one took an overall look at the situation one would find that not every one was of the same mind; the same 'conscience'.
Who made that claim?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
The irrational thought is that the "Battle Flag" is something, that it isn't. The gloss over in this case are those who will go along with the majority and 'details' won't matter to them.
Maybe it would be helpful if you rationally articulate how flying your battle flag demonstrates your Heritage? Personally, what is it about that flag that makes you proud?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe it would be helpful if you rationally articulate how flying your battle flag demonstrates your Heritage? Personally, what is it about that flag that makes you proud?
Knowing of St. Andrew and the reason he was martyred. Knowing he stood up against the (government) establishment and taught from his conscience understanding that he may be killed for doing so. He was very brave.

Beneath the Southern Cross | The Tribune Papers

"The Confederate Battle Flag, sometimes called the Southern Cross, is held in disfavor by many who are unfamiliar with its origin and true symbolism. Many have been taught to treat it as an object of moral horror and political infamy. A deadly combination of ignorance and arrogant self-righteousness is constantly engaged in shouting down its true history and meaning."
<snipped>
"Yet I cannot believe that Providence will suffer the memory and sacred honor of valiant men and righteous principles to be blotted out. I cannot believe their heroic banner will be suffered to be discarded and forgotten. I cannot believe that the blood of valorous heroes, still coursing in the veins of their sons and daughters and their future generations, will not continue to inspire and encourage the friends of liberty everywhere. Whatever storms may come, we will not surrender the honor or our gallant flag. We will take our stand beneath that Southern Cross in honor famed. Let us first remember and honor Him, our immortal Savior to Whom our banners point. Then God will vindicate our cause, the memory of our noble fathers, and our beloved Southern Cross.

“You have given a banner to those who fear You, that it may be displayed because of the truth.” Psalm 60: 4

Now think about this as you know what it is now to Christian people.

Those that brought the Battle Flag to the segregation rallies of the 1960's were they far or against government? Since government had not established equality yet ... those chose that flag as a symbol to continue (the conscience of) what the government had established.

Did they know what symbol the one to stand against established conscience of the collective (government), yes they did. They wish to confuse people as to the Independent thoughts of the true Christians and have the Christians stand with the government under that banner.

The KKK and those like minded of them, stole a symbol and those that understand its truism, want it back.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
I read the article...that's the biggest load of bull**** I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't even know where to start dissecting the enormous number of errors and false conclusions contained within it. You need to put down the internet if this is where you are getting your information from.

The "righteous Christian south" versus the "depraved, corrupt north"...PUH-LEASE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events