Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Finally, let's talk about the silliness that the Confederacy believed in the right of secession.
Excellent post all the way around.

Only thing I would add is to this part here. I have always loved the wording of the Preamble of the Confederate constitution...

Quote:
"We, the people of the Confederate States, each state acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity — invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God — do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America."[
It's just wonderful irony that the "great champions of states rights and state sovereignty" make one of their first acts the establishment of a "permanent" federal government that they are inextricably tied to. You already touched on all of the other ironies that the "Lost Cause" revisionists choose to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:34 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
LOL, i feel like i am debating with an 8 yr old....next will you ask over and over, "But why?"
At least you're not so angry, or grouchy. I was starting to feel like you were gonna yell at me & tell me to get off your lawn!

(Please note I do feel like asking you questions because I don't understand & would like to)

Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
At least you're not so angry, or grouchy. I was starting to feel like you were gonna yell at me & tell me to get off your lawn!

(Please note I do feel like asking you questions because I don't understand & would like to)
Chi, not grouchy at all....i doubt i would ever have to tell you to get off my lawn, good chance we dont live in the same neighborhood

Old 08-03-2015, 02:31 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And when those people who did get shooting, try it again and they are shot because of it, would you also say a lesson was learned? Or will you complain that people shouldn't be shot over a piece of cloth?
I was being sarcastic. I think if someone want's to fly say, the ISIS flag or Hammer and Sickle on their property that's their right.

I think it's stupid and misguided but that's their problem.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think if someone want's to fly say, the ISIS flag or Hammer and Sickle on their property that's their right.

I think it's stupid and misguided but that's their problem.
Been thinking the same thing. Throw the swastika in there as well.

Certain symbols define people. They might look at it differently, and be proud of what it means to them, but broadly speaking, it raises an eyebrow among mainstream onlookers and engenders the "stupid and misguided" thoughts of which you refer.

In my area, it's a cry for attention. I don't see a Mercedes go by with a huge confederate flag flying proudly from the staff. More often I see a broken down noisy pickup truck with a driver who has been to the Wal-Mart drive-through dental clinic and doesn't have enough education to know and understand what he is really promoting/advocating by dragging the flag around in the back of his truck.

Quite honestly, folks who are still dragging around this baggage are on the frightening side and most people seek to avoid them. Hang the flag in your own home, certainly preserve and write about it in museums, but dragging it around the neighborhood defines you as being a little, well, stupid and misguided.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Been thinking the same thing. Throw the swastika in there as well.

Certain symbols define people. They might look at it differently, and be proud of what it means to them, but broadly speaking, it raises an eyebrow among mainstream onlookers and engenders the "stupid and misguided" thoughts of which you refer.

In my area, it's a cry for attention. I don't see a Mercedes go by with a huge confederate flag flying proudly from the staff. More often I see a broken down noisy pickup truck with a driver who has been to the Wal-Mart drive-through dental clinic and doesn't have enough education to know and understand what he is really promoting/advocating by dragging the flag around in the back of his truck.

Quite honestly, folks who are still dragging around this baggage are on the frightening side and most people seek to avoid them. Hang the flag in your own home, certainly preserve and write about it in museums, but dragging it around the neighborhood defines you as being a little, well, stupid and misguided.
I see similar things taking place where I live. The persons flying Confederate flags, almost always, it is someone in a noisy pickup truck, it is someone driving a high-wheel pick up truck. And very often, it is a "rough and tumble" type. I never see anyone in a luxury car flying a Confederate flag.

Something else I've brought up before. I often found(where I live) that alot of people who sport the Confederate flag seem to lack in intellectual prowess. I hardly ever see college educated persons flying that flag. It is rare to find a college educated person flying it.

There is something else I've noticed. And I think you have too. Alot of persons I've seen flying that flag seem quite unhappy. If not unhappy, seem to put on an air of aggressiveness.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I see similar things taking place where I live. The persons flying Confederate flags, almost always, it is someone in a noisy pickup truck, it is someone driving a high-wheel pick up truck. And very often, it is a "rough and tumble" type. I never see anyone in a luxury car flying a Confederate flag.

Something else I've brought up before. I often found(where I live) that alot of people who sport the Confederate flag seem to lack in intellectual prowess. I hardly ever see college educated persons flying that flag. It is rare to find a college educated person flying it.

There is something else I've noticed. And I think you have too. Alot of persons I've seen flying that flag seem quite unhappy. If not unhappy, seem to put on an air of aggressiveness.
so you have actually spoken to the people flying the Confederate Flag to make the determination they lack intellectual prowess? Or are you reaching and assuming?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
“This is about erasing us,” said Jimmy, a representative of the League of the South who refused to give his last name. “This is about our First Amendment rights, our Second Amendment rights — every amendment you’ve got.”
No, not flying the Confederate flag on public property is not a First Amendment issue, any more than not flying the Gadsden flag or the ISIS flag or the national flag of France over the courthouse is a First Amendment issue. Individuals are free to fly all those flags and more. And as for social disapprobation, well, it's not a constitutional right to not be scorned. Whether they fly on public grounds is merely a policy decision.

And as for the Second Amendment, no, sorry - not flying the Confederate flag over the South Carolina statehouse doesn't have anything to do with your right to bear arms. And, no, it's not about 'every amendment you’ve got'. It's not about restrictions on excessive bail or repealing prohibition or presidential term limits (all issues of certain amendments).

Let me guess: this genius is one of those who never stops bleating about how he wants politicians who 'follow the Constitution', yet he hasn't the foggiest idea what the Constitution even says.

Quote:
Across the parking lot, Allan Croft, a bearded Dalton resident, debated Southern history with a group of young black men.

“Yeah, we didn’t want our daughters to marry you and we didn’t want our children to go to school with you,” he said. “But you’ve got to realize something, your parents didn’t want it, either.”

Croft blamed integration and the civil rights movement on “Communist Jews” and said accused Charleston shooter Dylann Roof “should have went to the synagogue, because that’s the enemy of all of us.”
Opposes interracial marriage? Check.
Doesn't like the civil rights movement and desegregation? Check.
Thinks Jews are the enemy and should be killed by Confederate flag wavers? Check.

And he also wants you to know that hes all about 'heritage, not hate'.

Hundreds rally at Stone Mountain for Confederate flag | www.myajc.com

Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
What is all this with First Amendment?? That is silly. Anyone who lives in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association has restrictions on what they can hang and display...many places you can't even hang a clothesline let alone a Confederate flag. You guys are acting like this is the only occasion people are being told what and what not to display.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
so you have actually spoken to the people flying the Confederate Flag to make the determination they lack intellectual prowess? Or are you reaching and assuming?
I'm in public enough to see their behavior and the way they communicate with people. It comes off as not having intelligence. I've got to high school with such types. I grew up around people like this, so I have an idea of what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events