Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What is to stop this Supreme Court from applying additional punctuation to the Constitution and changing the meaning to what was written?

When will they apply the "intention" of he 14th Amendment and NOT allow anchor babies of illegals from being American citizens? The amendment was written to protect the children of former slaves.
Additional punctuation, you mean like "exclamation marks and commas"?

Apply the 'intention' of the 14th amendment? that happened in 1898 (United States V. Wong Kim Ark) in which the Supreme Court declared that the child of "alien"parents born on US soil is a US Citizen. Good luck with getting the Supreme Court to undo one of their decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What is to stop this Supreme Court from applying additional punctuation to the Constitution and changing the meaning to what was written?

When will they apply the "intention" of he 14th Amendment and NOT allow anchor babies of illegals from being American citizens? The amendment was written to protect the children of former slaves.
The better question is when will legislators quit having SCOTUS do their job and make them go back to what SCOTUS is supposed to be doing which is NOT legislating from the bench.
SCOTUS as a Judicial Branch is there to decide whether something is legal or not and if not strike it down effectively telling the legislators to try again.

Their JOB is not to create or add meanings to laws.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Wow....the bolded part has "drama queen" written all over it.

Medical costs can be negotiated if you don't have insurance. You don't die because of a tooth ache, and you don't need to sit by the curb, in agony, with a simple laceration.

There are literally THOUSANDS of places nationwide that will take care of things such as this, and you can negotiate the cost with them. Completely YOUR choice, of course.

And if you know how to negotiate, you'll likely pay far less than you would with a high-deductible Obamcare policy.
You'll sing a different tune when you've been hospitalized for a week in the ICU, intubated, and running up a bill into six figures. You can't "negotiate" your way out of that.

The opponents of the Affordable Care Act get sillier all the time.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As an adult, yes it IS my choice. Just as when I hit my head on a tree and blood was pouring down my face and soaking my hair. Heard CRACK when I hit my head. I HAD insurance, but refused to go to the ER. That one was 4 years ago. Lucky? No, I know First Aid and how to apply compression to stop bleeding, which I did on myself. Guess it worked, huh? Still here???? Lucky. Well, yeah, my luck will run out since I am pushing 70; medicine or no medicine. I prefer the latter.
and next you are going to claim that you have declined medicare coverage, right?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They should make it a law that the scotus has to use Obamacare for their healthcare.
You seem to misunderstand the system. Obamacare is not healthcare. It's access to private insurance. So the SCOTUS would go on the exchange, pick a Privately Insured Platinum plan, and pay the premiums. What would be so terrible about that? In actuality, they are all eligible for Medicare(an actual government healthcare program) and most likely use that for their care. You can't say they don't use Medicare. You and I are not privy to their private medical arrangements.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:20 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As an adult, yes it IS my choice. Just as when I hit my head on a tree and blood was pouring down my face and soaking my hair. Heard CRACK when I hit my head. I HAD insurance, but refused to go to the ER. That one was 4 years ago. Lucky? No, I know First Aid and how to apply compression to stop bleeding, which I did on myself. Guess it worked, huh? Still here???? Lucky. Well, yeah, my luck will run out since I am pushing 70; medicine or no medicine. I prefer the latter.
Good for you. I wish more people would quit running off to the doctor every time they bash their head or have some minor issue. That's a huge part of what drives the cost of insurance up.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:21 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Additional punctuation, you mean like "exclamation marks and commas"?

Apply the 'intention' of the 14th amendment? that happened in 1898 (United States V. Wong Kim Ark) in which the Supreme Court declared that the child of "alien"parents born on US soil is a US Citizen. Good luck with getting the Supreme Court to undo one of their decisions.
I think the Republicans should proclaim a Jihad on the 14th Amendment. It seems to periodically come around and bite them on their shiney heinies more often than not.
Make the repeal of the 14th the showcase issue for the 2016 elections. Demonize all the anchor babies. See how far that gets them.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Not a great day for those working in the health care field. It is what it is, I don't worry about things out of my control.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Health Care CANNOT be a right. Unless we are talking about someone stopping you from applying band-aids.

Rights require no other person to be involved to exercise them. They require no input from another. They require no work from another.

People, including out *laugh* constitutional scholars on the SCOTUS, seem to understand that and put agenda before everything else.

We also have a right to travel freely, do I get my Porsche? We have the right to free speech, do I get my own TV station? We have a right to own firearms, should the government unlock the armory for me (yes, but that's beside the point)? People who scoff at these notions fail to understand that we are LITERALLY going to either: a) ration healthcare a la Canada or b) pay such extraordinary amounts in taxes that having the government buy a Porsche for everyone will seem like a deal.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Health Care CANNOT be a right. Unless we are talking about someone stopping you from applying band-aids.

Rights require no other person to be involved to exercise them. They require no input from another. They require no work from another.

People, including out *laugh* constitutional scholars on the SCOTUS, seem to understand that and put agenda before everything else.
THAT ^ makes no sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events