Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule broke up shortly after launch on a mission to the International Space Station from Cape Canaveral, Fla. Sunday morning.
SpaceX Rocket Barge Ocean Landing: Watch Space Station Mission

The failure occurs at the 2:45 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQ6jD52r_Q

This is the first complete failure of a Falcon 9 launch - in one of the previous eighteen missions, the primary payload was deployed as planned but the failure of one engine 79 seconds after takeoff prevent the secondary payload from reaching stable orbit.

A reminder that using tons of extremely volatile fuel at hypersonic velocities into reach space means periodic failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Looks like Russians will need to bring the supplies up to the space station. Musk thought next flight will be delayed for months as they investigate what went wrong.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Its really surprising to me that after 50+ years of building rockets, and with what we've learned from previous failures, that somehow they still blow-up. I was really hoping for safe space travel by now.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Well that sucks.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Parts fail, glad there were no astronauts on board.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
that blowed up reeeeal good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=KUtdXzBSVaU

Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Its really surprising to me that after 50+ years of building rockets, and with what we've learned from previous failures, that somehow they still blow-up. I was really hoping for safe space travel by now.
You have to appreciate the difficulty of lifting and then accelerating a million pounds of mass from the ground to orbit. A rocket is a controlled explosion, and the forces on all of this hardware is incredible between gravity and aerodynamic pressures it's a wonder that it doesn't explode every time. Sitting on top of a giant fuel tank and lighting a fuse is never going to be completely safe, all they can do is prepare for the inevitable failure. Just for historical perspective, many of our early attempts in rocketry were failures, especially when we began lofting things into orbit, I think back in the day they hit the launch button then crossed their fingers. Many of the recent failures usually lead to minute details of something that was missed. It is getting safer, in 50 years we really have come a long way.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Parts fail, glad there were no astronauts on board.
The only thing I don't get, the capsule survived and it's designed for re-entry. Why can't they just send a signal to pop the chutes? The only reason I can think of is monetary, better to take a total loss or the value of the payload isn't worth the cost to recover?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
The only thing I don't get, the capsule survived and it's designed for re-entry. Why can't they just send a signal to pop the chutes? The only reason I can think of is monetary, better to take a total loss or the value of the payload isn't worth the cost to recover?
Probably since this scenario has never happened before, there was no contingency plan.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:52 PM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that this failure occurred well past supersonic speed. Even though the capsule might have survived, the unplanned and massive G-forces involved at the time of break-up assures that very little inside the capsule can survive.

This failure occurred so high-up in the vehicle assembly (and so high in altitude) that the failure might have been payload related instead of launch vehicle related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events