Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Out of curiosity, how many 4 year olds have you personally dealt with for extended periods of time?

Because that's just not how it works.
Two of them, each for one-year stretches (between when they were 3 and when they turned 5). And yes, my daughter has asked for my hand in marriage quite a few times. Each time, I tell her how much I love her, but sorry, I can only be married to her mother, no one else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Two of them, each for one-year stretches (between when they were 3 and when they turned 5). And yes, my daughter has asked for my hand in marriage quite a few times. Each time, I tell her how much I love her, but sorry, I can only be married to her mother, no one else.
So, do you explain how socially inappropriate it is? Do you give her the option to have a parental commitment ceremony? Do you explain how adult males must never enter into a marital relationship with a child? So you explain that marriage can only occur between two consenting adults, usually for purposes of security and procreation? Of course not! Your daughter, when saying she will marry you when she grows up, or wanting to marry you now has no notion of what marriage actually is. She thinks it's a fancy party where two people who love one another in the most wholesome way possible get to be in princess clothes and people give them presents. Oh, and there's cake! What kid wouldn't want that?

Look, we all feel how we feel. I guess I shouldn't judge. I still see no downside to this, and I don't understand objections. I don't mean to disrespect, so I hope nobody will misunderstand. In my heart, I know I would have done the same, so I'm likely projecting.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM

431 posts, read 449,628 times
Looks like the conservatives were right. First gay marriage, now this. Next thing you know a monkey will be able to marry a tomato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk

Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Quote:
That's not really a relevant comparison to this story though. Our 5 yr old son says all the time he wants to marry my wife, and we tell him he can't because she's his mommy, and she's already married to me. But if she were a nurse and this situation presented itself, there is no way in hell she'd try and deny the little boys request and explain why it's not possible. You just don't do that.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
In a word, weird.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
So, do you explain how socially inappropriate it is? Do you give her the option to have a parental commitment ceremony? Do you explain how adult males must never enter into a marital relationship with a child? So you explain that marriage can only occur between two consenting adults, usually for purposes of security and procreation? Of course not!
Of course not. I realize that she has no conception of what marriage really is. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to indulge her in that particular fantasy, either.

Look, I don't want to blow this out of proportion. In terms of things to get upset about, this doesn't even crack the top 1,000. As I've said before, I firmly believe that the nurse's heart was in the right place, and he had the purest of intentions. It's simply not the way I would have handled the situation, that's all.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Of course not. I realize that she has no conception of what marriage really is. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to indulge her in that particular fantasy, either.

Look, I don't want to blow this out of proportion. In terms of things to get upset about, this doesn't even crack the top 1,000. As I've said before, I firmly believe that the nurse's heart was in the right place, and he had the purest of intentions. It's simply not the way I would have handled the situation, that's all.
Me either, and I raised five healthy and emotionally stable kids.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Quote:

I agree, and I'm pretty much done with this discussion. It's apparent to me that one person's "ew" is another person's "awww" and that there's no accounting for that, and no persuading to be done either way.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:

This sums it up for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events