Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 AM

477 posts, read 509,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If my parents were cheating me out of my own tax deductions while I was living independently, I'd tell them to either stop it or I'd do something to make them stop it.

And that probably wouldn't have been any more pleasant a conversation in the early 1970s than it would be today.

By the way, what does the early 1970s have to do with what we're discussing?
Because that's when this particular fandango was danced. Rather late in the game to be talking about revenge, ne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'd bet my life this guy wouldn't even have considered telling an insurance company what they should be covering due to his "religious beliefs" a few years ago. It wasn't an issue for him ever before, believe me.

But it's now politicalized and combined with the internet and social media everyone a voice, and everyone thinks their voice has something to say. 99% of the time that's not true at all but people don't get it.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Where I come from all birth control is FREE!
No it's not - it's paid for by someone else.

And where do you come from, BTW?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
If one of those employee doesn't want to use a part of his or her insurance coverage then don't use it.
I'm not trying to be rude, but that's kind of short-sighted. The moral objection here is not just to the usage of birth control, but to funding of it, as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
]

People already have the option of using or not using whatever part of their insurance suits them.
But they still have to pay for it, even if they don't use it, and therein lies the rub. Nobody wants to fund something they oppose.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Solution: The daughters bring home minority boyfriends - "yeah, dad, Ramon/Tyrone/Dong wants a big family!!"

Next day: Pill and Plan B on the nightstand.

Mick

What makes you assume they don't have minority boyfriends already?

Racist much?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Just because he pays for the policy it doesn't give him any right to control other people's bodies.
They are free to put whatever they want into their bodies, so long as they pay for it themselves. They have no right to expect someone else to pay for something that violates the payer's sincerely held religious beliefs.

The fact that he pays for it gives him the right to control what his money is used for, and nothing further.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

Quote:
They are 18 and 19 year's old.
Where did you find this information? Not disputing it - just wondering, because I've been curious myself about how old these adult children are.

Quote:
Children can now stay on their parents health insurance until 26.
Yes, I know. It's allowed but not required.

Quote:
Otherwise the 18 and 19 yr olds would have to take out their own health insurance, which can be incredibly cost prohibitive.
Not likely to be particularly expensive with subsidies and plans tailored to very young adults (check out the ACA website), but I agree that if it is less expensive and if all parties agree, then of course it's fine for adults to stay on their parents' insurance for awhile.

Quote:
If the father doesn't want them on birth control he can take them off his insurance, find a plan that doesn't cover birth control, monitor his daughters health records and the insurance bills to make sure they aren't getting birth control.

I don't understand why this one guy is suing the government. That's way over board.
I totally agree, as I've stated repeatedly.

Quote:
Also given that he's in politics I'm not convinced this isn't an attention grab for his next election.
Again, I agree.

Quote:
Given that he's a State Representative does his state government provide and pay for his insurance?
Yes. It is part of his compensation package (just a reminder - when an employer pays for part or all of one's insurance, it's actually part of one's pay for work done). He is not suing to have the plan changed - he's suing to make employers - the state in this case - provide alternative plans for those whose beliefs include being against birth control.

Once again, I think he's out of line. Go find a plan yourself if you don't like your employer's plan is how I see it.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you are right... they sure can!!

so what you're saying is that the state should go out and find a special plan that does not cover birth control for this ONE FAMILY??
No, that's not what I'm saying. Please read my comments to the contrary which I've stated repeatedly on this thread.

All I was pointing out is that he is not suing to change the benefits to others - he's suing to force his employer to provide alternatives.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Unreal. So because this jerk doesn't want his adult daughters to use birth control, nobody else can get it either?

Father Who Sued To Keep His Adult Daughters From Getting Birth Control Wins Key Court Fight | ThinkProgress
Misleading thread title. His adult daughters can get birth control. This is about health insurance and what it should cover or not. Good grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events