Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,049,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm glad to know there's people prepping like this in case I need to borrow some of his stuff if I ever need something
If you are doing it right, no one will every know you have this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM

431 posts, read 452,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm glad to know there's people prepping like this in case I need to borrow some of his stuff if I ever need something
seriously, if u need any hollow point rounds or belgian made bull pup UN crowd control submachine guns I can give u the address...

Old 07-25-2015, 05:52 PM

18,006 posts, read 15,698,517 times
I wish I had all that stuff, stashed at my retreat spot. At least the guns and ammo. A few good horses, solid Rock, and a goodly supply of fodder could reace the SUV. There would be money left over for food , medical supplies and some cool construction mods to the place, as well, I think.

This guys life history is, no doubt, ...interesting. I don't expect we will be hearing a whole lot more about this. Wodnt be surprised if some guys in black suits have already made ...arrangements..for disposition of these supplies.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM

3,539 posts, read 2,879,996 times
Hey some people collect spoons from around the world, this guy collected guns and ammo.
To each his own.

Bill

Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,173,042 times
Let's keep things in prospective here.

For example, an SUV capable of driving underwater. Do mean like this guy's rig?
http://www.australiazoo.com.au/about...35_one_600.jpg

Sure, when people say underwater, we are probably thinking like a tank.......but really, one's car is underwater when it can't breathe anymore, isn't it?

Is that the case here? We don't know because they don't tell us either way.

6.5 tons is heavy but one should also keep in mind caliber sizes and weights. Carry around 100 rounds of .308 and one gets tired, for example; make it a brick of .22 and one could shoot all day and not notice the difference.

So, do we know what caliber they are talking about? Do we know if that is raw ammo......or if someone threw in the boxes, the ammo cans, perhaps even the pallets to up the number.

I would like 1200 guns, too, but buying guns cheap doesn't really fly anymore unless they are the type of guns which you wonder they will go click, bang, or BOOM when the trigger is pulled. I say that because when I was shopping guns a few months ago, I came across $200-300 pistols which upon research, that was how they came up and I looked on.

So to give the deceased the benefit of the doubt, he must have started young or many, many years ago.

Finally, keep in mind that it is a news story which unfortunately these days means ratings, to get one to watch, perhaps buy papers. The story can be truthful as far as it goes, but will it be accurate? As I often illustrate with, when someone says "Helicopter gunships attacked refugee camps (somewhere)", are they talking about Mangustas, Hinds, or someone leaning out of the door of a Bell 47 with a SMG? Such little details are often left to the imagination of the reader.

So, when we eventually buy it, how might they write the story about us.................

Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,996,934 times
Oh please, the guy was rich and living a fantasy. He clearly had a brain dead fiance. She parked him in the car, dead and went on vacation? OMG!

BTW - anybody heard of the 2nd Amendment? I'm gonna buy the Iowa! My guns bigger than yours!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,221,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's keep things in prospective here.

For example, an SUV capable of driving underwater. Do mean like this guy's rig?
http://www.australiazoo.com.au/about...35_one_600.jpg

Sure, when people say underwater, we are probably thinking like a tank.......but really, one's car is underwater when it can't breathe anymore, isn't it?

Is that the case here? We don't know because they don't tell us either way.

6.5 tons is heavy but one should also keep in mind caliber sizes and weights. Carry around 100 rounds of .308 and one gets tired, for example; make it a brick of .22 and one could shoot all day and not notice the difference.

So, do we know what caliber they are talking about? Do we know if that is raw ammo......or if someone threw in the boxes, the ammo cans, perhaps even the pallets to up the number.

I would like 1200 guns, too, but buying guns cheap doesn't really fly anymore unless they are the type of guns which you wonder they will go click, bang, or BOOM when the trigger is pulled. I say that because when I was shopping guns a few months ago, I came across $200-300 pistols which upon research, that was how they came up and I looked on.

So to give the deceased the benefit of the doubt, he must have started young or many, many years ago.

Finally, keep in mind that it is a news story which unfortunately these days means ratings, to get one to watch, perhaps buy papers. The story can be truthful as far as it goes, but will it be accurate? As I often illustrate with, when someone says "Helicopter gunships attacked refugee camps (somewhere)", are they talking about Mangustas, Hinds, or someone leaning out of the door of a Bell 47 with a SMG? Such little details are often left to the imagination of the reader.

So, when we eventually buy it, how might they write the story about us.................

I can tell you from experience even a few hundred rounds of pistol ammo, can weigh 30 - 40 pounds without much of a problem; ammo gets heavy

Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,173,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I can tell you from experience even a few hundred rounds of pistol ammo, can weigh 30 - 40 pounds without much of a problem; ammo gets heavy
Hence my point on the difference between carrying around 100 rounds of .308 and a brick of .22.

Anyhow, I've seen pictures of his collection (or pictures supposedly of his collection, never can really trust the press these days when they put pictures to a story) and admittedly, the guns look impressive..........but so did the "click, bang, or BOOM" ones as well. So who can say without a detailed inspection?

Impressive? Yes. Envious, rifle wise? Not really, from the pics, didn't really look like my tastes
https://www.facebook.com/ktla5/photo...249614/?type=1
A lot of bolt action and that's not really my speed.

As far as all the vehicles, well, it reminds me of two things. First of all, Mick Fleetwood, having just gotten done reading his book and all he had at the height of his fame. Of course, that was 30 years ago. Secondly, of a teen age fantasy where I would have GA aircraft, like Cessna's and Piper's hidden in barns all over the country for a quick escape.......I guess he had the cash to make his fantasy come true.

As to what he was before he croaked? Sure, he could have been things the imagination can conceived but it also reminds me of what a brother said about me, "If I found out you worked for the CIA or Interpol, I wouldn't be surprised.". I rather think he thinks that for three main reasons.

First, because of all the things I do, have done. Guns, scuba diving, I can fly a plane, judo, etc.. Secondly, because I tend to know more than I should but that's more a product of reading a lot and remembering it all, especially when it comes to filling in the gaps between what various people are saying.

Finally, isn't that human nature, anyhow? To hedge your bets and even though you might not bet money on it, if it came to past, one will say, "I always suspected.....,", "I always knew....."?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-26-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM

15,859 posts, read 20,713,463 times
Does he have any 7.62x38R I can use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events