Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I am not sure the shooting wasn't justified. It looks to me as if the shot was fired after the car started moving and a car can move pretty fast after a second or two compared to someone on foot who may have been somehow unable to get away. But...
I don't see how that above matters much to the case. If he was not being "dragged by the car" a few pounds of pot and a fleeing suspect doesn't justified the shooting.
Note that nothing has been released about anything found in DuBose's car. The source of that is suspect and as usual, apologists are trying to discredit the victim. I think it is pretty unlikely that that amount of marijuana was found in his car.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:02 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's probably a good part of it. I would like to know why he was pulling people over a mile from the University, sounds like he was out there looking for trouble
I'm not familiar with Cincinnati but isn't it possible that for many universities, the neighborhoods surrounding them would have a lot of students living there? Whether or not students themselves are still under the jurisdiction of the local campus police might be debatable but I think the presence of police within a small radius of a university is at least understandable. Take the area around USC for example. There is a high student presence in the residential areas directly outside of the university and a high crime region directly south of that. On top of that, there seems to be some expectation (justified or not) from parents and students for the university to be responsible to some degree for the security out there.

Not trying to defend the shooting itself, I just wanted to expand on this single point.

---
There's room for debate for many of the publicized shootings but this one was pretty clearly bad. Even though I found it suspicious that the DuBose started the ignition of his car, Tensing should not have been in enough danger to justify firing his weapon. I have never heard of a car being able to launch 90-degrees or 270-degrees, against the direction of its tires, straight left or right from a dead stop. As a professional, Tensing must have been well trained and experienced in being aware of his body positioning to minimize danger to himself and any danger from the car would most likely have been a result of his own actions of putting himself into unnecessary positions of risk.

Any defense of the killing require either logical fallacies or justification of incompetence leading to loss of life. It is unfortunate that Tensing was ever in the position of having to make snap decisions but his duty includes shouldering the liability, risks and responsibilities of making mistakes of this magnitude.

The acceptance of liability, risk and responsibility by a policeman plays a very large part of my respect for law enforcement professionals. People who do not properly accept the responsibilities of their job, no matter how what the job or industry, simply don't earn that respect.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Seriously... For a white cop to reach in, grab a black driver who has his hands up, and shoot him in the face for no apparent reason - knowing it's all being recorded on film, no less - he'd have to be not just evil, but certifiably insane as well, and I don't think that's the case.

It's very disturbing that so many believe this to be true and/or purport to to further a political agenda.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
I'm not familiar with Cincinnati but isn't it possible that for many universities, the neighborhoods surrounding them would have a lot of students living there? Whether or not students themselves are still under the jurisdiction of the local campus police might be debatable but I think the presence of police within a small radius of a university is at least understandable. Take the area around USC for example. There is a high student presence in the residential areas directly outside of the university and a high crime region directly south of that. On top of that, there seems to be some expectation (justified or not) from parents and students for the university to be responsible to some degree for the security out there.
Not trying to defend the shooting itself, I just wanted to expand on this single point.
I get what you are saying and there is an argument to be made for allowing them to patrol off campus, and if they were patrolling dormitories or off campus facilities it certainly would be justifiable. But making car stops for trivial violations in a residential area? Nah..that's just what these guys do when they are bored. If I were a parent I sure wouldn't want to have my kid's tuition go up to pay for the lawsuit that is bound to result from this.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seriously... For a white cop to reach in, grab a black driver who has his hands up, and shoot him in the face for no apparent reason - knowing it's all being recorded on film, no less - he'd have to be not just evil, but certifiably insane as well, and I don't think that's the case.

It's very disturbing that so many believe this to be true and/or purport to to further a political agenda.
Seriously are you going to try to continue to make excuses for this cop after every claim you have made has been refuted and you have been offered at least 4 different videos which clearly show what happened? The disturbing thing here is that you are still entertaining some fantasy that the cops actions were justifiable

Old 08-04-2015, 02:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
That was an unjustified death.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Seriously are you going to try to continue to make excuses for this cop after every claim you have made has been refuted and you have been offered at least 4 different videos which clearly show what happened? The disturbing thing here is that you are still entertaining some fantasy that the cops actions were justifiable
Don't feed the troll.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:

Well, it's for some reason but nothing legal.
I don't think he's insane, he's just reckless?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Well, well. Cincinnati coroner says the bottle in Dubose's car was a bottle of fragrance..

Coroner: Ohio motorist shot by officer had fragrance bottle

Quote:
CINCINNATI (AP) — A bottle held up by a motorist during a traffic stop before he was fatally shot by a University of Cincinnati police officer apparently contained a fragrance, not alcohol, a coroner said Monday.

Hamilton County coroner Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco said in a statement that lab analysis found compounds consistent with those commonly found in air fresheners or perfumes.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Quote:

not Evil...just STOOPID !

I think the DA used the word "Asinine!" (i think that's good diction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, well. Cincinnati coroner says the bottle in Dubose's car was a bottle of fragrance..

Coroner: Ohio motorist shot by officer had fragrance bottle
Of Course...the Driver held up the bottle for the Cop and told him it was fragrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events