Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Officer Tensing fatally shot DuBose, 43, during a July 19 traffic stop over an alleged missing license tag. The officer has said he was forced to fire his weapon after almost being run over. Tensing, 25, surrendered to authorities shortly after news of the indictment broke, and he is expected to be arraigned on Thursday. He has been fired from his job.

Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life and was dragged by DuBose's car. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."

That account was contradicted by Deters, the prosecutor, who said that Tensing was not dragged.
"This just does not happen in the United States. People don't get shot for a traffic stop unless they are violent towards the police officer, and he (DuBose) wasn't," Deters said. "He was simply slowly rolling away. That's all he did."

University cop indicted in traffic stop shooting - CNN.com

So, any thoughts on this? Do any of you think the shooting was justified, if so please explain.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-29-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 06:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
When police do something like he is charged with doing and they are convicted, they go to prison too. Their time in prison probably is much worse than another criminal.

BTW, your last sentence is called trolling.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
When police do something like he is charged with doing and they are convicted, they go to prison too. Their time in prison probably is much worse than another criminal.

BTW, your last sentence is called trolling.
Well I will edit it right this very minute because I sure don't want to upset you! geezus

Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well I will edit it right this very minute because I sure don't want to upset you! geezus
Doesn't matter to me but it might help get more replies unless all you wanted was your own post to show up. You know that.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Moving on. This is just the start. Next comes a lot of PR spinning on both sides so get ready. What really happened will be hard to discern if this is like the other trials. In the end, the losing side won't accept what happened and the winning side will have to fight to defend something already decided.

Either way, most of the public won't know because much of the public won't believe the outcome, no matter what it is.

BTW, is there a misquote in the article? Would the prosecutor say what they said about the dragging or would that more likely come from the defense attorney?
Curious.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Default More info and link to Police Report

Fellow Officers cover up for Tensing:
Tensing’s claim that he only shot after he was dragged, though, was supported by a second officer who claimed to be on the scene named Phillip Kidd. “Officer Kidd told me that he witnessed the Honda Accord drag Officer Tensing, and that he witnessed Officer Tensing fire a single shot,” Weibel’s report reads. Tensing also claimed to be injured by Dubose. But Deters contradicted that as well, saying, “No, he wasn’t dragged. He fell backwards after he shot him in the head.” Again, Tensing’s fellow officers backed up the claim of injuries at the hand of Dubose. In dispatcher audio of the incident, the New York Times reported that you can hear another officer saying Tensing was injured. In the report itself, the responding officer seems to attempt to back up his colleague.“Looking at Officer Tensing's uniform, I could see that the back of his pants and shirt looked as if it had been dragged over a rough surface,” Weibel wrote. “I suggested to Officer Tensing that he should go to the hospital for an examination.”
The Sam Dubose police report is full of falsehoods from Ray Tensing's colleagues.

Police Report
http://www.uc.edu/content/dam/uc/uco...ent-report.pdf

Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Moving on. This is just the start. Next comes a lot of PR spinning on both sides so get ready. What really happened will be hard to discern if this is like the other trials. In the end, the losing side won't accept what happened and the winning side will have to fight to defend something already decided.

Either way, most of the public won't know because much of the public won't believe the outcome, no matter what it is.

BTW, is there a misquote in the article? Would the prosecutor say what they said about the dragging or would that more likely come from the defense attorney?
Curious.
I don't see any inconsistency:
Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."

The officer's account was contradicted by Deters, the prosecutor, who said that Tensing was not dragged.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Cincinnati has had riots before over police shootings, and I think everyone is wary of another Baltimore breaking out. The DA certainly threw this cop under the bus today.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cincinnati has had riots before over police shootings, and I think everyone is wary of another Baltimore breaking out. The DA certainly threw this cop under the bus today.
Why do you say that, did you watch the video of the shooting?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 PM

118 posts, read 126,176 times
Why do police departments across the country hire these morons (ex-military)? How about increasing the salaries and hiring people with college degrees? The cops we have right now are pretty much bottom of the barrel losers without any tact or problem-solving skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events