Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Some people should never be allowed to have kids
True enough, one way or another.

A girl friend, a score younger, of mine is divorced, has a son, and we are both very good friends and I might even be a Patron of hers. If she were ever to suggest that she and her son might move in with me or visit my home, I would probably very seriously balk.

Why?

Well, of course, first in relation to this topic, there is the point that I do have guns. Most are secured in a very expensive vault, but there is my side arm which, if out of the vault and in service, is fully ready to go. Of course, if children are around, such as when I am traveling, it gets disarmed, secured.

There are other concerns, however. I live with three, clawed cats who, since I am an adult and I live alone, get away with murder. I'm an adult, I know how to live with cats, I am not a child like this one here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMIhL63KPxw
who does not understand animals. If a child inside my house teased a cat and was bitten, the child might be far better off than being accidentally shot, but what if my cat was ordered to be put down? That's not right for an incident the cat did not cause.

Scuba tanks, dive knives, dancing, costume, real swords, books with color pictures of actual crime scenes, etc, etc, etc. I'm an adult, it is safe in my house because I am an adult, there are no children around.

It may be one thing to require certain precautions where children are, but it is quite another to require it everywhere even when children are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 03:49 AM

119 posts, read 95,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
True enough, one way or another.

A girl friend, a score younger, of mine is divorced, has a son, and we are both very good friends and I might even be a Patron of hers. If she were ever to suggest that she and her son might move in with me or visit my home, I would probably very seriously balk.

Why?

Well, of course, first in relation to this topic, there is the point that I do have guns. Most are secured in a very expensive vault, but there is my side arm which, if out of the vault and in service, is fully ready to go. Of course, if children are around, such as when I am traveling, it gets disarmed, secured.

There are other concerns, however. I live with three, clawed cats who, since I am an adult and I live alone, get away with murder. I'm an adult, I know how to live with cats, I am not a child like this one here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMIhL63KPxw
who does not understand animals. If a child inside my house teased a cat and was bitten, the child might be far better off than being accidentally shot, but what if my cat was ordered to be put down? That's not right for an incident the cat did not cause.

Scuba tanks, dive knives, dancing, costume, real swords, books with color pictures of actual crime scenes, etc, etc, etc. I'm an adult, it is safe in my house because I am an adult, there are no children around.

It may be one thing to require certain precautions where children are, but it is quite another to require it everywhere even when children are not.
I've had three cats, none of whom have been declawed. If they bit the kids, the kids deserved it. Guns don't need to be laying all over the place though. Didnt they teach you that when you got your CCW? Or do you not have a CCW? A dive knife ( I'm an avid snorkeler ) is nothing like a gun. Kids get the intent of a knife on a primal level.

A gun? Not so much. It's like a toy to them. That's just how kids are. I loved play guns when I was a kid. So did all of my friends. Death wasn't really a concept to us. We were kids.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gal with three kids and boyfriend and they're living with another person and have loaded guns laying around? Sounds like drugs might be in play around that household
I was thinking the same thing, probably a gang banger with one of his many baby mama's.

Bill

Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv_desert View Post
I've had three cats, none of whom have been declawed. If they bit the kids, the kids deserved it. Guns don't need to be laying all over the place though. Didnt they teach you that when you got your CCW? Or do you not have a CCW? A dive knife ( I'm an avid snorkeler ) is nothing like a gun. Kids get the intent of a knife on a primal level.

A gun? Not so much. It's like a toy to them. That's just how kids are. I loved play guns when I was a kid. So did all of my friends. Death wasn't really a concept to us. We were kids.
You rather missed my point.

I was talking about how as a single adult, I live in an adult apartment with various dangers if kids were around..............but there are no kids around, hence my apartment can be entirely for an adult.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
So, are you putting your money where your mouth is? Are you willing to put up your share of the cash for taxing (how the USSC defined the ACA) a right of the Constitution?
I don't see any need for taxing. Just require liability insurance.

That won't solve all the problems by itself, of course, but if you're required to carry insurance for something it tends to be higher in your level of awareness.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see any need for taxing. Just require liability insurance.

That won't solve all the problems by itself, of course, but if you're required to carry insurance for something it tends to be higher in your level of awareness.
Which "you" are requiring on a Constitutional right. It is no different than requiring a Poll Tax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_t...ited_States%29
because it is directed against certain groups.

Now, to get around that, one might be able to pull it off if the requirement of liability insurance was directed at all citizens, such as with ACA. (which despite being called an insurance requirement, the USSC ruled it was a tax and legal to be levied)

SO, once again, I ask, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is? Are you willing, as a citizen of the United States, to have to buy liability insurance because you have the Constitutional right to bear arms?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
SO, once again, I ask, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is? Are you willing, as a citizen of the United States, to have to buy liability insurance because you have the Constitutional right to bear arms?
Yes, of course. I've always had it anyway.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
These incidents are sadly, quite common - in this case, which is still being investigated, it appears a 2yo killed his dad with a gun.....

Alabama toddler apparently fatally shoots his father: cops - NY Daily News

Old 08-19-2015, 12:23 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I still don't understand why criminal negligence charges are never filed in these cases. Until that happens, cases like this will continue to occur.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still don't understand why criminal negligence charges are never filed in these cases. Until that happens, cases like this will continue to occur.
I hate to break it to you, but they will continue to happen anyway. If you don't have the common sense to recognize the risk, then you won't be concerned about negative consequences either. Stupid people tend not to think ahead very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events