Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, ministerial. The terms as I use it has nothing to do with being a minister or religion. See: Ministerial legal definition of ministerial
Thank you for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:58 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Funny that you accuse me of ignorance while ignoring what I said. And on top of that you put words in my mouth. I never said that I don't agree with all aspects of Christianity.

What I said is that the headlines that Christianity makes are mostly about discrimination against LGBT and about abortion. It's you who is ignorant about Christianity's PR in 2015.
Yes, you did, even if not explicitly. By writing that "Christianity seems to be only about discrimination against LGBT and about abortion. What else does Christianity make headlines about lately?" and "That's [LGBT discrimination and abortion] just not sustainable because it is not attractive," you clearly show that you don't agree with at least two aspects of Christianity, which means that you don't agree with all aspects of Christianity. Why is that difficult to understand?

But, note, I even took issue with the "headlines" issue. Christianity is in the headlines for far more than that.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Defying a judge's order.
The lawyer isn't defying anything. The lawyer cannot force his/her client to follow a judge's order. And the lawyer is not precluded from making arguments in favor of a certain legal interpretation (at least generally speaking).

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
administerial
See the second definition. It's sort of an old-fashioned word used to distinguish a person's administrative duties in which s/he is not called upon to use discretion from executive duties, or those in which s/he is expected to exercise decision-making and discretion.

Ministerial | Definition of ministerial by Merriam-Webster

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Thank you for the clarification.
No problem.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM

361 posts, read 386,302 times
Quote:
That's a rather ignorant statement. Have you ever stepped foot in a church? Its fine that you don't agree with all aspects of Christianity (hell, I sure don't), but you're far off. Even in the headlines issue.
I think we all need to be honest. I've been to a few churches and most of my friends are Christians. In my experience the church members are kind, accepting people................. as long as you believe exactly as they believe. Woe betide the dissenter.

I have nothing against what people do in private but lets not portray churches as oasis' of love and kindness. IMHO, they are hate groups.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 AM

769 posts, read 783,715 times
Quote:
you clearly show that you don't agree with at least two aspects of Christianity, which means that you don't agree with all aspects of Christianity. Why is that difficult to understand?
My goodness. What logic. Sometimes I'm not prepared for the IQ of some of the members on a forum.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I think we all need to be honest. I've been to a few churches and most of my friends are Christians. In my experience the church members are kind, accepting people................. as long as you believe exactly as they believe. Woe betide the dissenter.

I have nothing against what people do in private but lets not portray churches as oasis' of love and kindness. IMHO, they are hate groups.
I won't argue that some of that does happen. But, for every example of a devout Christian doing something like Davis is doing, there are other examples of devout Christians doing the opposite (see the other county clerks in Kentucky who are issuing marriage licenses . . . I'm sure there are more than a few self-described devout Christians in that group). Moreover, I see countless Christian organizations feeding and housing the homeless, without question of whether those people agree with them or not.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,648,693 times
Quote:
Yes, you did, even if not explicitly. By writing that "Christianity seems to be only about discrimination against LGBT and about abortion. What else does Christianity make headlines about lately?" and "That's [LGBT discrimination and abortion] just not sustainable because it is not attractive," you clearly show that you don't agree with at least two aspects of Christianity, which means that you don't agree with all aspects of Christianity. Why is that difficult to understand?

But, note, I even took issue with the "headlines" issue. Christianity is in the headlines for far more than that.
Not all Christians discriminate against LGBT. Some denominations ordain openly LGBT as ministers.

You can "take issue" all you like. Doesn't change the fact that many are completely turned off and disgusted by the message they hear from the pulpit.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
My goodness. What logic. Sometimes I'm not prepared for the IQ of some of the members on a forum.
Oh, I see. Can't understand simple logic and reasoning either, I see? What a silly statement that shows more about your own inability to properly reason than anything else. If someone states that they disagree with the Christian position on abortion and LGBT issues, then they, by extension, do not agree with all aspects of Christianity. Damn. This is sad. I didn't think that this would be difficult for people to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events