Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:18 AM

50,960 posts, read 36,657,877 times

Advertisements

This is so very sad!

I do agree there seems to be a different standard applied, as in the cop assessed him for whatever reason as being non-threatening right off the bat...he even asks him in the beginning "you don't have any guns in your pockets, do you?" and appears to take his word for it. Even later when he wants to know for sure, he asks the guy nicely "do you mind if I pat you down?"

You have to admit when compared to the Blake case and others, it is quite remarkable the way it's handled. Especially when domestic violence cases have always been the most dangerous cases for cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM

119 posts, read 174,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have tried to explain that to my conservative friends who blame Obama for the "epidemic" off police killed recently. I have told them the recent deaths are statistically average for any given year barring 2001. The media and various groups are manipulating people for their own agenda.
Same for the number of black people being killed by cops. Statistically the number is going down. Yet the media doesn't report it that way.
I'm guessing you think thats different though, right?

Old 09-13-2015, 04:22 PM

14,812 posts, read 8,142,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is so very sad!

I do agree there seems to be a different standard applied, as in the cop assessed him for whatever reason as being non-threatening right off the bat...he even asks him in the beginning "you don't have any guns in your pockets, do you?" and appears to take his word for it. Even later when he wants to know for sure, he asks the guy nicely "do you mind if I pat you down?"

You have to admit when compared to the Blake case and others, it is quite remarkable the way it's handled. Especially when domestic violence cases have always been the most dangerous cases for cops.
Yes, my husband is an ex-police officer and I remember him saying that domestic violence cases were the most dangerous.
My heart and condolences go out to the officers family and may he RIP.
Honestly, I can't bring myself to watch the video though.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:12 AM

6,405 posts, read 6,295,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Which is very comforting until it is one of your family members who is murdered just for doing his job ...
Similar to when one of your family members dies or is raped because a cop is not doing his job.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,599,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Similar to when one of your family members dies or is raped because a cop is not doing his job.
Yes … Our society will rue the day when police officers become reluctant to confront or capture perpetrators out of legal self concern ...

Old 09-14-2015, 08:17 AM

6,405 posts, read 6,295,813 times
Quote:
Yes … Our society will rue the day when police officers become reluctant to confront or capture perpetrators out of legal self concern ...
I agree.

But I've also seen the "small town cops" often not do jobs out of sheer laziness and have no problems telling me this!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,340,467 times
Quote:
If police officers know the how and why to confront and arrest suspects there wouldn't be any legal concerns to begin with. Just as YouTube has salient videos of police abuse they are far outnumbered by arrest that put the actions of officers well within departmental policy, the law and all of which conform to the Constitutional rights of the suspects.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
If police officers know the how and why to confront and arrest suspects there wouldn't be any legal concerns to begin with. Just as YouTube has salient videos of police abuse they are far outnumbered by arrest that put the actions of officers well within departmental policy, the law and all of which conform to the Constitutional rights of the suspects.
Police officers are already trained for this … It is the "suspects" who have a problem in these encounters …

Google: Chris Rock -- "How to Not Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police"

Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 AM

50,468 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Ferguson

Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ferguson
Yes … By some anti-cop accounts, the officer in Ferguson should have just allowed himself to be beaten by that stupid out of control kid and then shot with his own gun ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events