Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM

464 posts, read 452,629 times

Advertisements

I find the whole ordeal bizarre. I hadn't even heard of the boy until I saw over a dozen posts about him following his death. I guess his family was pretty well known on the YouTube community for posting daily family vlogs which each garnered millions of views.

Quote:
“The Bratayleys,” a stage name for the super-viral middle-class Maryland version of the Kardashians, recently suffered the horrid loss of their 13-year-old YouTube star son, Caleb. They’d asked that we respect the family’s privacy for the time being—oh, and make sure to tune in to the dead teen’s memorial!
Gawker posted an article about the boy, and they were asked to take it down by Disney. But not long before his parents decided it was a completely reasonable idea to livestream his memorial to over 100,000 people including young children.
https://twitter.com/Bratayley/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

I also found his parent's response to be odd. They posted an 11 minute pretty well edited video one day following his death of his last full day on Earth after announcing to the world their son had passed away on Instagram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZpJN86pNoA

In the video's description, it says "we also wanted to post this video to show a healthy and happy Caleb doing what he loved". Well, you can see for yourself - their son was in obvious distress throughout the video, stumbling and slumping over with his eyes rolling into the back of his head, and his speech garbled. He appears in the video from 2:30 to 4:20 and from 9:50 to the end. It appears like he is having seizures or mini strokes throughout the video. And they don't put down their video camera to ask what's wrong?

YouTube Star Caleb Bratayley Mourned in Livestreamed Memorial Service - ABC News

Especially considering the heart condition hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (which can cause sudden death during childhood) runs in the family.

What has happened to this world? It's obvious to me that Caleb was a victim of self centered parents, thrust into a life of unwanted attention. This whole ordeal seems like a case of gross negligence to me... People need to put down their cameras and start taking care of their kids.

Rest in peace Caleb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,919 times
It appears all mom cares about is the $$$ from YouTube revenue, even after her little boy just died.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather4Life View Post
It appears all mom cares about is the $$$ from YouTube revenue, even after her little boy just died.
It's sickening

Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
I find the whole ordeal bizarre.
Welcome to America.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Welcome to America.
I think it's more of an issue with technology and the whole "video blog" generation. People are making money on sites like YouTube now and they're exploiting their families (or dead children) in the process.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:31 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,276,844 times
Quote:
I find the whole ordeal bizarre. I hadn't even heard of the boy until I saw over a dozen posts about him following his death. I guess his family was pretty well known on the YouTube community for posting daily family vlogs which each garnered millions of views.

Gawker posted an article about the boy, and they were asked to take it down by Disney. But not long before his parents decided it was a completely reasonable idea to livestream his memorial to over 100,000 people including young children.

I also found his parent's response to be odd. They posted an 11 minute pretty well edited video one day following his death of his last full day on Earth after announcing to the world their son had passed away on Instagram.

In the video's description, it says "we also wanted to post this video to show a healthy and happy Caleb doing what he loved". Well, you can see for yourself - their son was in obvious distress throughout the video, stumbling and slumping over with his eyes rolling into the back of his head, and his speech garbled. He appears in the video from 2:30 to 4:20 and from 9:50 to the end. It appears like he is having seizures or mini strokes throughout the video. And they don't put down their video camera to ask what's wrong?

YouTube Star Caleb Bratayley Mourned in Livestreamed Memorial Service - ABC News

Especially considering the heart condition hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (which can cause sudden death during childhood) runs in the family.

What has happened to this world? It's obvious to me that Caleb was a victim of self centered parents, thrust into a life of unwanted attention. This whole ordeal seems like a case of gross negligence to me... People need to put down their cameras and start taking care of their kids.

Rest in peace Caleb.
Omg that first video made me want to cry, so sad.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 PM

828 posts, read 909,819 times
God I hate the internet sometimes.

Social media can be a vehicle for stupidity.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,768,889 times
What did he die of?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,968 times
What's next? I can't imagine. Narcissism is a global epidemic.
The more I see the more I just want to retreat up into the woods and live in a shack with no electricity and no news of any kind.
Sickening and scary at the same time.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 AM

143 posts, read 178,328 times
Quote:

Rest in peace Caleb.
I think the full context of the video (series), which you only got a crash course in, makes the whole thing seem reasonable. Dropping in at random on another family's life will lack substance to the casual observer. It's just another slice of life that means a lot more to them than their viewers. There's such a barrage of "content" these days that it's hard to follow any one thing for long. Even when a YouTube video has been "watched" by millions, they may have only started to play it and clicked away.

I personally don't understand showing one's private life to the whole planet but others see it differently and some might watch these videos to create their own virtual family (who knows people's motives). A guy like PewDiePie being a multimillionaire for yelling at video games (gets old real fast) makes no sense to me, but he draws a huge audience. This whole phenomenon might be a reflection of modern life's vapidness. They lived their lives on camera and are remembering him in that context, so leave it at that.

Last edited by Vodoven; 10-08-2015 at 02:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events