Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Thank you governor.

There is no greater compassion than allowing those who are suffering to give them the chance to end their lives on their own terms.

California governor signs right-to-die legislation

Quote:
Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation Monday allowing terminally ill people in the nation's most populous state to take their own lives, saying the emotionally charged bill forced him to consider "what I would want in the face of my own death."

Brown, a lifelong Catholic and former Jesuit seminarian, said he acted after discussing the issue with many people, including a Catholic bishop and two of his own doctors.

"I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain. I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the options afforded by this bill," the governor wrote in a signing statement that accompanied his signature.

The governor said he would not deny those comforts to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 05:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,323 times
After watching my strong, rugged 30 year old fiancé's body wither and pass away from stage IV pancreatic cancer...Thank God for this. I decided if I'm ever at an inoperable, incurable stage of cancer, I will end my life before it does it painfully for me. My family dealing with a legal (and physical) mess due to "suicide" adds another huge, unnecessary layer of strife to the bereaved. This is a mercy on top of a mercy. We're finally waking up as a country.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
It will allow the terminally ill to go with dignity and be at rest...

Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
As it should be.

And before someone serves up the "Who are we to play God?" nonsense.... hello? Is there anyone in there?

If hastening an inevitable death is 'playing God'... ... then so is staving off otherwise inevitable deaths with CPR and defibrillators and blood transfusions and surgery and organ transplants and all other manner of medicine. So, please, if you're going to make a case in favor of big-government control of the most basic questions of a person's life, at least do so without resorting to a sound-bite that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:07 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
Default California becomes a Right-to die state

The legislation passed there yesterday. Would you want it passed in your state?

Having seen relatives go through terrible suffering in the end stages of their battle with cancer and other major health issues, I support it. I would not want to go through what they went through.... not when there's no need for it.

Gov. Brown Signs California Right-to-Die Measure - ABC News

Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

Having seen relatives go through terrible suffering in the end stages of their battle with cancer and other major health issues, I support it. I would not want to go through what they went through.... not when there's no need for it.

Gov. Brown Signs California Right-to-Die Measure - ABC News
It's not really about me, though I would like the option, yes.

What it's about is the most basic aspect of liberty - the right to decide one's own fate.

All lives end, and sometimes a life nears an end and continuing it is no longer worth doing for that individual. It should absolutely be that individual's right to end it. And anyone who steps up and complains that their religion doesn't allow it, and therefore others shouldn't be allowed do so, needs to quit foisting their religion on others.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
We give our pets that mercy. In the case of humans, only if they are terminal, not depressed for instance. Only if it really is THEIR choice and no one else's. No coercion or intimidation. No say it's their choice when it's not and they are being bullied into it. No relatives trying to off someone for their estate. Laws and ethics must be strictly followed or repeal it.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:54 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I would be for it. The circumstances under which it should be used are up for debate, but I've seen relatives suffer for years and wish to die and just deal with pain and a poor standard of living. What point is there continuing on just waiting to die?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
But, of course, you have a right to die. If you cannot choose the manner of your own death, then you're not exactly "free."

Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM

414 posts, read 911,774 times
Yes, I would very much like this legislation passed in my state. Hopefully NY is next!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events