Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Students were given a lifeboat test at public school. Meant as team building exercise. Enraged mom claims test is racist.

Florida mother's outrage over Giunta Middle School's 'racist' 'Lifeboat Test' | Daily Mail Online

(Never heard of Mr. Bobo. Maybe they mean Darth Bobo.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
My first reaction was that she was being silly. Then I read how the passengers were described, which included 4 people that all that was known about them was their race. I don't know that I'd call the assignment racist as much as race baiting. Totally, totally inappropriate assignment and if I were that teacher's administration we would be having some serious conversations about learning climates. Middle school students do not need an assignment that fosters distrust based on race or give a reason for a kid to put a chip on their shoulder. Idiot teacher.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
How is that a team building exercise? I don't know if I would go as far as calling the test racist, but it is questionable.

Most of the people's profession are given, but then there are a white guy, black guy, and Hispanic woman. So 11 year olds are deciding whether to save them based on their race alone?

Then there is a guy doctor and a girl doctor, which implies to the kids that gender matters.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I can see why people would be upset about this, but I can also see why it could be a good learning exercise to combat racism, sexism, etc. if it was handled intelligently by the teacher (although I am not sure how many teachers would be able to handle that assignment well at all).

For example, if most children would overwhelmingly choose "the white guy" over the "black guy" (or vice versa), then that could lead to WHY the child thinks the one is more important than the other, followed by a discussion about racism and why racism is bad.

However, I do think the examples chosen could have been MUCH better.

(And I don't know who Mr. Bobo is, either.)

Old 10-15-2015, 10:08 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
There are real life situations that demand an answer in the fraction of a moment who lives and dies ,say in a car fire .
11 year olds should be learning to think fast, and weigh values, and make life determinations and live with them.
For instance, I would not pick some one that is a political puppet liar ,you cant trust them in a life threatening situation.
Because it is a life threatening situation Regardless of gender or race I would pick all medical personnel.
Those with the greater emergency rescue experience are next regardless of race or gender.
Those that have proven their devotion to the preservation of life of others are the remaining.
The religious can afford to die .
The dead spiritually, cannot afford to die.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Reminds me of years ago, back in early 60s, when the wife would question her husband,which he would never come up with the correct answer on if he and his wife and child were out on the water and boat flipped over who would he save her or the baby first. Many men would say wife. Oops. Wrong answer. Terrible stupid question or test then and this test at school is more blatantly stupid. If the testing failed what would be the fix? Were they looking for a correct answer? If the testor found you lacking would they suggest starting up a political correctness class? Only a person void of all common sense would even try this and surprised there werent more who complained.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There are real life situations that demand an answer in the fraction of a moment who lives and dies ,say in a car fire .
11 year olds should be learning to think fast, and weigh values, and make life determinations and live with them.
For instance, I would not pick some one that is a political puppet liar ,you cant trust them in a life threatening situation.
Because it is a life threatening situation Regardless of gender or race I would pick all medical personnel.
Those with the greater emergency rescue experience are next regardless of race or gender.
Those that have proven their devotion to the preservation of life of others are the remaining.
The religious can afford to die .
The dead spiritually, cannot afford to die.
But they were not given that information, other than for the select few. Regardless, it was a very poorly designed assignment and not developmentally appropriate, including throwing their teacher's name in there.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My answer to the "lifeboat" question is myself first, then my wife and then the baby. If I died I could not save anyone else. We could always make another baby anyway.

simple logic question.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How is that a team building exercise?
You'd know if you've ever been part of a team.

I don't see anything racist about it.

1. pregnant woman
  2. male doctor
  3. female doctor
  4. Hispanic woman
  5. white guy
  6. black guy
  7. their teacher
  8. clown
  9. trump
  10. Obama
  11. minister
  12. rabbi,
  13. Bieber
  14. police officer
  15. ex-convict

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I wonder how the class ranked them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events