Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:53 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
But …

According to the Gun Nuts, a baseball bat or a kitchen knife is every bit as effective a weapon as a gun, right … ???

So ...
Is it your intent to misconstrue the arguments of others, or do you just not understand them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
My daughter is a student at NAU - leaving work in a minute to take her to lunch and for the opportunity to give her a BIG HUG.
I'm glad you are going to see her! I'm sure she'll need some reassurances.
It would seem to me you raised a smart girl as she was not out in the street at 1am in the middle of a frat fight.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Is it your intent to misconstrue the arguments of others, or do you just not understand them?
I'm just reflecting back what the gun nuts say about "guns" as compared to other murder weapons ...

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It is against park rules to drive golf balls over the edge of the canyon....I bet he can do it all day with no worries about hitting someone or being stopped. A park ranger would probably chase his balls and carry them back up if told to.
Isn't that what Hillary used to do?<bold> LOL

Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong among fraternity brothers in the parking lot of an all-Greek dorm at 1:30AM after a big Thursday night out on the town?

I'm guessing drug deal, road rage, fight over a girl. Maybe all three. Guess we will find out.

ABC News already comparing to Umpqua, but didn't go as far as to use the terms gunman and opened fire yet.

Yeah, it just used to be rape.

Seriously, this stuff used to be "not so common." Drugs, girls, road rage, etc. Not new.

Fraternities have existed for hundreds of years. Why now??

Both "gunman" AND "opened fire" are the appropriate terms.

What would you like to hear? "Person with the gun" who "pulled the trigger?"

Kinda getting into BS PC territory there.....

Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why do we get so up in arms about school shooting, but tend to car e less about places like the west and south sides of Chicago neighborhoods where mass shooting occur all the time. Over 2300 people have been shot in the city of Chicago for 2015 and 350-400 had died, but people arent screaming for gun control when they hear that, even though Chicago has very tough gun laws. I guarantee if the city of Chicago allow guns crimes will go down somewhat (outside of the gang retaliation shootings) as many punks will think twice of robbing certain people if they dont know if they can fight back.

Criminals or mentally unstable people will always find a way to get a gun and commit a crime, so taking guns away from law abiding citizens just makes them sitting ducks.

Sadly school shooting will continue and sooner or later this will become common occurrence at malls or airports too.
Because that is mostly drug and gang violence. We expect safety at places like schools and church and, oh, IDK, NOT TO BE KILLED THERE!

I don't know why we should think this. We might as well all get 13 guns. I'm sure that would make the US a safer place.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
When they are banned, I want you to put a giant neon sign on your front lawn that says.
"THIS IS A GUN FREE HOME AND THERE ARE NO GUNS IN HERE"

The criminals will respect that sign and turn in their guns right away because that sign was a reminder to them that their guns are illegal and they dont want to be law abiding citizens.

Sorry, that violates his first amendment right.

And that rationale is way overplayed.

Lets not put ANY ban on drugs either because "only drug addicts do drugs."

Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
I'm just reflecting back what the gun nuts say about "guns" as compared to other murder weapons ...
It seems that if you want to sway someone to see your point of view, you shouldn't start by insulting them and putting them on the defensive.

I have seen so many of your posts where you don't refer to people who favor gun ownership as people with opinions, but start right out of the gate by calling them "gun nuts"

It's probably really difficult for you to have conversations with people of different opinions since you like to start it out by personally insulting them. If someone calls you a "liberal lunatic living in a fantasy reality spouting out opinions with a rational basis" you probably aren't even going to listen to what they say.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:34 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
But …

According to the Gun Nuts, a baseball bat or a kitchen knife is every bit as effective a weapon as a gun, right … ???

So ...
So I always see you ranting about gun nuts and the solution is to ban guns.

When Elliot Rogers went on his killing spree in Santa Barbara along with shooting people he also killed 3 people with knife attacks. Each victim had 15 to 94 stab wounds. Didn't hear a peep from you on banning knives.
He also injured seven others by hitting them with his car, they could have easily been deaths. Haven't heard you say that car nuts should have their cars banned.

You probably don't agree, but the mental state of Elliot Rogers was the primary cause of all this death and injury. I and many other would say that how we treat mental health leave a lot to be desired. One could argue that his personal rights despite being mentally ill superceeded public welfare.

Even if he didn't have a gun he did plenty of killing and injuring which goes to show you if someone is really intent they will find a way.

BTW if I took a full swing to your head with a baseball bat it would be just as deadly as you being shot.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Because that is mostly drug and gang violence. We expect safety at places like schools and church and, oh, IDK, NOT TO BE KILLED THERE!

I don't know why we should think this. We might as well all get 13 guns. I'm sure that would make the US a safer place.....

Sorry, that violates his first amendment right.

And that rationale is way overplayed.

Lets not put ANY ban on drugs either because "only drug addicts do drugs."
And we expect to be safe in our homes, not to be knifed to death by a group (cult) of crazies who's leader has a swastika on his forehead. (Los Angeles)
We expect to be safe at our jobs, not to be blown up by some nut in a rental truck or have planes flown into the building we're sitting in. (Oklahoma and NYC)
We expect to be able to drive down the road and not have someone curse at us, flip us off and then try to run us off the road. (Daily event in any city)
We don't expect to be pulled from our vehicle and beaten half to death with a brick (Los Angeles Riots)
We expect to be able to walk down the street and shop at the stores there safely or to just simply own a store without the worry of destruction. (Seattle,Oakland,San Francisco,Los Angeles,Baltimore,Ferguson and many other places that have riots)

The thing is unfortunately the world has changed for the worse, the "safety" of years ago has disappeared (if it ever truly existed) and your expectations of safety must change with it or you should expect to become just another statistic. Otherwise you're just living in a fairy tale la-la land.
The question should be "how do we change attitudes of people who think for whatever reason that killing/maiming others or destroying what is theirs is somehow ok and acceptable behavior"?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 AM

919 posts, read 789,622 times
just another statistic confirms that when you add more guns there are more violent incidents, more suicides etc.

The reason some people refer to others as "gun nuts" is that your augments in favor of guns are so demonstrably false that it seems only a nut would believe them. You want your gun to protect you from violent crime? well the sad facts are you or a family member are more likely to die than an intruder.

And yes that statement that the criminals won't obey any gun laws. As has been pointed out it is criminals who disobey all laws, that statement makes no sense.

Now you want to talk reality, OK, lots of us are very willing to compromise, but you're not are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events