Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

https://www.rt.com/news/319269-gipsy-france-burn-cars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Is Gypsie a fancy name for homeless? What the heck is their point?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Gypsy is an ethnicity, also known as Roma or Romani.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
This is alarming. Gypsies, Roma, Itinerants, Travelers, Tinkers, They go by many names but they are all the same. They are groups of people living outside society. The last time I was in Ireland we saw a Tinker encampment along the highway.
They had taken over a rest area and parked their campers there. They are dangerous people that don't follow the general laws of the land but makeup their own.
They are often criminals that rob from the areas that they move into and when they are done they move on.

They are a people without a home. Most of them keep to themselves but many tear the place up in crime sprees.

What is frightening is the destruction that these gypsies caused in France when we look at the bigger picture of another even larger displaced group that is growing restless namely the refugees from the middle east.

Europe is a powder keg.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:32 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This is alarming. Gypsies, Roma, Itinerants, Travelers, Tinkers, They go by many names but they are all the same. They are groups of people living outside society.
As a side note, we have groups of "travellers" (not related to Irish travellers) on the west coast. Basically, they are a loosely orgainized group of several hundred homeless and often drugged up youth who communicate via the internet.

Every so often, they pick a new beach town to migrate to. They drift in steadily and the number of homeless in the town jumps from say a dozen to 120 and climbing. As alot of the "travellers" have drug problems, the crime rate of break ins, vandalism, stabbings etc. quickly rises. The "travellers" stay until they either get chased out, or somebody picks a new destination.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:08 PM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
The Police in Ireland are also hesitant to get involved with them. The tinkers often have guns the police do not.

They are a rough group but often keep to themselves but they do resort to crime.

If someone in America tried to camp out at a rest stop the police would clear them out pretty fast. In Ireland the authorities have put up barriers across entrances to parking lots etc.. Cars can fit under them but the tinker travel campers can't so they move on.

The small itinerant camp I saw along the highway had piles of shutters, storm doors and other such things. I asked my wife who is from that area in Ireland where did they get all those doors and shutters and she said "they stole them". I guess the idea is they steal the shutters off your house and if you dare you go to them to buy them back.

It is crazy.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
They exist in the states, too.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
They exist in the states, too.
They certainly do. When I was a waitress about a million years ago, a band of them came through the truck stop I was working at ( graveyard, so I was the sole server / busser) and stole every tip off the tables I hadn't gotten to clean yet.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Police in Ireland are also hesitant to get involved with them. The tinkers often have guns the police do not.

They are a rough group but often keep to themselves but they do resort to crime.

If someone in America tried to camp out at a rest stop the police would clear them out pretty fast. In Ireland the authorities have put up barriers across entrances to parking lots etc.. Cars can fit under them but the tinker travel campers can't so they move on.

The small itinerant camp I saw along the highway had piles of shutters, storm doors and other such things. I asked my wife who is from that area in Ireland where did they get all those doors and shutters and she said "they stole them". I guess the idea is they steal the shutters off your house and if you dare you go to them to buy them back.

It is crazy.
Must be the kindler gentler cops some want. The kind that are basically the watch and report types, unable to protect and who serve the questionable.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:59 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They certainly do. When I was a waitress about a million years ago, a band of them came through the truck stop I was working at ( graveyard, so I was the sole server / busser) and stole every tip off the tables I hadn't gotten to clean yet.
Yeah, they run a lot of "roof repair" and other construction scams along with fake charities and much much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events