Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 05:07 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There is no indication that any of these young men had ever been arrested or even questioned by the police. Do you have any source that states otherwise?
In DC, they undoubtedly have classmates who have.

There are plenty of people who have never personally been attacked by young blacks, but are still as afraid of young blacks as though they had been.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,158,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It doesn't take all that.

Teenage boys running from the appearance of the police is old as Americana. Teenage boys from every ethnic group ran from the police if escape looked possible, except for perhaps the smarmy Eddie Haskell types. Historically, that was never a problem because breaking up the crowd was the only police intention. Fifty years ago--when I was a kid--"Cheese it! The cops!" was as often said among white boys as black.

This "it's your fault for running" ethic is not only recent, but it comes from the same place as the harsher rules against crack cocaine--something that was specifically applied to blacks. Right now it's been so embedded in the popular white psyche that they don't even know it was once different...but it was, even within my own memory.
Does this "it's the best thing to simply run" apply to car stops too? This is what BLM tell us is the case. Fifty years ago did you and others run when stopped by the police (assuming you had a car)?

Old 10-24-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In DC, they undoubtedly have classmates who have.

There are plenty of people who have never personally been attacked by young blacks, but are still as afraid of young blacks as though they had been.
The rates of violence committed by black males is off the charts. Therefore, even if one were not a victim of acts committed by young black males, do you suppose it is highly likely that someone close to a victim has shared the experience?

Afraid of young black males you say? Aside from the high crime risk, there is this ever present terrible attitude I have witnessed repeatedly when being around young black men (YBM) which occurred even when my black friends (of means) were around. This anti-social, loud, threatening, boisterous behavior from YBM occurred on buses, on the metro, at movie theaters and on the streets.

Examples:

Threats from YBM for asking them to keep it down while watching a movie in DC.

On another occasion three crazy YBM walked into a restaurant and verbally harassed me for eating dinner in DC with two close black friends (who were so embarrassed and mad at them).

In Atlanta, both my black friend and I were harassed and nearly attacked for being friends and waiting on seeing a movie.

I love black people but I hate the fact that so many blacks are highly dysfunctional. My black friends are aware of the problems but there is nothing they can do. Hiding this crap under the rug doesn't change the fact that there are wonderful black people, but also also so many messed up thugs (or wanna-be thugs).

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-24-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Does this "it's the best thing to simply run" apply to car stops too? This is what BLM tell us is the case. Fifty years ago did you and others run when stopped by the police (assuming you had a car)?
Who are you quoting?

To answer your questions, whether to run or not was a matter of weighing the chances of escape, including weighing the determination of the police. As I said, the primary intention of the police was to break up the congregation, not to arrest anyone. When we scattered, the police had achieved their intention--they were unlikely to give any serious chase if you could get cleanly away.

In an automobile, the situation is totally different. If a police officer is stopping a specific person in a specific vehicle, and because a "chase" created a dangerous situation, the police were more likely to make that chase serious that would get not only the city police but the state troopers also involved.

Plus, of course, few of us owned cars anyway. Parents' sedans and pickups that we got to drive on occasion.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The rates of violence committed by black males is off the charts. Therefore, even if one were not a victim of acts committed by young black males, do you suppose it is highly likely that someone close to a victim has shared the experience?
Inasmuch as most black violence is confined to acts upon other blacks, and inasmuch as most whites actually don't live around blacks, it's likely many whites don't actually know anyone who has been attacked by blacks. Don't underestimate the true demographics: There are nine times more whites than blacks. There just aren't that many blacks to go around...and not all of us are criminals.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 10-24-2015 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 05:53 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,657 times
Quote:

Afraid of young black males you say? Aside from the high crime risk, there is this ever present terrible attitude I have witnessed repeatedly when being around young black men (YBM) which occurred even my black friends (of means) were around. This anti-social, loud, threatening, boisterous behavior from YBM occurred on buses, on the metro, at movie theaters and on the streets.

Examples:

Threats from YBM for asking them to keep in down while watching a movie in DC.

On another occasion three crazy YBM walked into a restaurant and verbally harassed me for eating dinner in DC with two close black friends (who were so embarrassed and mad at them).

In Atlanta, both my black friend and I were harassed and nearly attacked for being friends and waiting on seeing a movie.

I love black people but I hate the fact that so many blacks are highly dysfunctional. My black friends are aware of the problems but there is nothing they can do. Hiding this crap under the rug doesn't change the fact that there are wonderful black people, but also also so many messed up thugs (or wanna-be thugs).
Great post!

Old 10-24-2015, 05:59 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,352,714 times
Quote:

Afraid of young black males you say? Aside from the high crime risk, there is this ever present terrible attitude I have witnessed repeatedly when being around young black men (YBM) which occurred even my black friends (of means) were around. This anti-social, loud, threatening, boisterous behavior from YBM occurred on buses, on the metro, at movie theaters and on the streets.

Examples:

Threats from YBM for asking them to keep in down while watching a movie in DC.

Your "examples" aren't even credible examples. I'd like some actual stats from credible sources instead of anecdotal evidence.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM

73,085 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:

Afraid of young black males you say? Aside from the high crime risk, there is this ever present terrible attitude I have witnessed repeatedly when being around young black men (YBM) which occurred even when my black friends (of means) were around. This anti-social, loud, threatening, boisterous behavior from YBM occurred on buses, on the metro, at movie theaters and on the streets.

Examples:

Threats from YBM for asking them to keep it down while watching a movie in DC.

Well, you feel there is a reason to be afraid of young Black males, then maybe you need to think about this. Have you thought of why there are many Black males who are angry, anti-social, and quite unhappy?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,320,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, as a person who has been robbed at ATMs twice, if a situation seemed less than secure to me, I wouldn't go to that ATM. Furthermore, the ATMs where I was robbed were in suburban D.C. (Virginia), at a somewhat isolated spot, and in D.C. at an isolated spot where I was forced to go to. Not on one of the busiest thoroughfares going east out of D.C. (Pennsylvania Avenue/route 4).
You've been robbed at an ATM twice? That makes it sound like you have some pretty poor street smarts, and aren't really the best-qualified person to tell whether police should be called or not in a specific situation.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Your "examples" aren't even credible examples. I'd like some actual stats from credible sources instead of anecdotal evidence.
I don't care what you believe or do not find credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events