Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
After trying to work with Haanstad, and getting nowhere with him, the tribe offered "to file a Declaratory Judgment Action in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin to allow a federal judge to decide the disputed issues" but apparently Haanstad wasn't wanting that since soon after the tribes offer to file to let the federal judge decide the matter the DEA showed up and decimated their crops (probably under the authority of Haanstad and Obama).

The tribe had been completely transparent from the very start. They got the government approval, under that Farm Bill, they allowed the feds and the BIA to drop in at any time to inspect the operation and to test the crops, there were one or more strains of the hemp crop that were found to be problematic and the tribe stated it would be destroyed (and I'm sure they would have allowed the feds and/or the BIA to oversee the destruction of the problematic crops) .. everything was going along smoothly between the tribe and the government until Haanstad (who obviously has a big stick up his nether region) took over being the U.S. Attorney.
Ah...... So someone decided there was too much risk that they would be overruled and they struck before it happened. I agree about that big stick.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Dope is dope...
Hemp is hemp

The two shall never meet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The problem is , the DEA is claiming that it was Marijuana, the indians are saying HEMP. Regardless, it is their land and they are allowed to do what they want on it. Is that not the purpose of a indiana reservation?
Actually, no they can't just do whatever they want. There are numerous laws that apply to the Indian reservations. And no doing whatever they want was NEVER the purpose of an Indian reservation. Or did you mean that Indiana became a reservation instead of a state?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Dope is dope...
Hemp is hemp

The two shall never meet
But they come from the same plant

Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quit wasting my tax money!!!!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
He says the tribe was growing industrial hemp for research purposes.

I suppose that's slightly more original than "We were just holding it for another tribe"....

Old 10-26-2015, 03:27 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was under the impression that unless it was a major crime, policing and justice is handled by the tribes on Indian reservations. And, in my opinion, should be. They are supposed to be nations within our nation.
Federal jurisdiction is absolute. If someone breaks a federal law the feds have the power to make an arrest, regardless if the local jurisdiction considers said offense a crime or not... There are zero 100% autonomous regions in America..

Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Federal jurisdiction is absolute. If someone breaks a federal law the feds have the power to make an arrest, regardless if the local jurisdiction considers said offense a crime or not... There are zero 100% autonomous regions in America..
Does that apply to sanctuary cities as well? Apparently not.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Does that apply to sanctuary cities as well? Apparently not.
Yes it does. ICE can go after who they want, when they want. This includes sanctuary cities (an idea that I don't agree with)...

Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Tribal lands, i. e.the Rez are different animals, even for the almighty feds. Outside LE agencies, even the DEA , can't just waltz on to tribal land a d do what they will. A tribal member , who commits a crime off the reservation, and then takes refuge back across the line, must be turned over by the tribal authority for prosecution, or they can try him/her in tribal court. Last I checked, on the rez, tribal authority supercedes even the feds. Though, tribal police are federal (BIA) , they answer go the tribal council first.

The DEA stepped in it on this one. Kicked a red ant pile and then knocked down a hornets nest. I just can't see the tribe not successfully challenging this. We shall see, but I've seen outside agencies try and challenge tribal autonomy before. Never with any success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events