Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times

Advertisements

When is the DEA going to get it through their thick skulls that america no longer considers marijuana a drug worthy of arrest?

I am so sick of my tax payer dollars being wasted on these criminal acts.

A indian reservation is soveirgn land and they have no authority there i thought?

The indians claim it was hemp, DEA says it was Marijuana....

The Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin says that DEA agents came and destroyed their industrial hemp crop on Friday.

The tribe recently voted to approve recreational marijuana on the reservation.

The tribal attorney, Tim Purdon, calls the action "very troubling", pointing out that recreational marijuana is being sold in store fronts in Denver and Seattle without incident. He says the tribe was growing industrial hemp for research purposes.

DEA Raids Tribal Land to Destroy Pot; Tribe Says It Was Hemp - ABC News

Federal agents destroy hemp on Menominee Tribal lands - Story | Northeast Wisconsin - Green Bay, Appleton, Fox Cities | WeAreGreenBay | WFRV CBS Local 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 06:33 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I was under the impression that unless it was a major crime, policing and justice is handled by the tribes on Indian reservations. And, in my opinion, should be. They are supposed to be nations within our nation.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I think this will make for an interesting case in the Supreme Court.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
I believe that DEA has authority to enforce these laws on tribal lands.

Quote:
But be that as it may, cannabis — all cannabis except for hemp and hemp oil properly imported into the U.S. — is illegal under federal law and federal drug laws extend over Indian Country.
Cannabis And Indian Country: Basics 101 - Law360

Mick

Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
The problem is , the DEA is claiming that it was Marijuana, the indians are saying HEMP. Regardless, it is their land and they are allowed to do what they want on it. Is that not the purpose of a indiana reservation?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The problem is , the DEA is claiming that it was Marijuana, the indians are saying HEMP. Regardless, it is their land and they are allowed to do what they want on it. Is that not the purpose of a indiana reservation?
All cannibus (other than imported hemp and hemp oil) are subject to Federal regulation, so a disagreement as to what the substance actually is, is not relevant on the issue. It is well established that certain Federal laws trump the tribal sovereign jurisdiction.

Mick

Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was under the impression that unless it was a major crime, policing and justice is handled by the tribes on Indian reservations. And, in my opinion, should be. They are supposed to be nations within our nation.
Indeed. In order for DEA to go on the rez, they need permission from the tribe and a request from BIA. DEA has zero authority on a reservation. I don't think the tribe is going to just roll over on this one. DEA WAY exceeded their jurisdiction here.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:18 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Maybe the DEA was asked to come in by tribal authorities. The article doesn't give enough information.

Not all Indians want your booze, your dope, your version of tobacco.

Last edited by branDcalf; 10-25-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 10:23 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
The DEA isn't an autonomous agency, you should ask the people rhat direct their efforts. They are of the same political ideals that you support, or haven't you considered that yet?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 AM

23,543 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Maybe the DEA was asked to come in by tribal authorities. The article doesn't give enough information.

Not all Indians want your booze, your dope, your version of tobacco.
The second article is a tiny bit more informative than the first article. From the two linked articles, and others that I'd read, I think the gist of it is .....

The tribe requested, from the federal government, to be able to grow the industrial hemp according to the 2014 Farm Bill, and got the governments approval. The tribe kept the government and the BIA in the loop from the very start, and, "invited Federal Law Enforcement to observe and to test the industrial hemp crop at various stages throughout the process". Which the feds and the BIA did go in to inspect and test the crops throughout the growing process with the BIA doing a final test during the harvesting.

They had originally been dealing with [former] U.S. Attorney Jim Santelle, who had stepped down, and [current] Acting U.S. Attorney Greg Haanstad took over on Aug 1, 2015, that is when their troubles started. Apparently Haanstad didn't think the tribe growing the hemp was 'in compliance with the 2014 Farm Bill' and he [probably was] trying to find a way of shutting their operation down for non-compliance of the 2014 Farm Bill (even though they had the governments approval from the start, and, had government inspections and testings done on the crops throughout the growing of the crops).

The tribe was growing different strains of hemp and apparently in the last test that was done during harvesting they found certain strains that were 'problematic' (may have had a little bit too much THC in it than the gov allowed for hemp? - just a guess but I don't see how else those certain strains could have been problematic). The tribe offered to destroy the problematic crops, leaving the non-problematic crop to continue to be harvested.

Apparently with the problematic strains, that the tribe said would be destroyed, along with Haanstad's opinion that the tribe growing industrial hemp wasn't in compliance with the Farm Bill, Haanstad decided to make things difficult for the tribe.

After trying to work with Haanstad, and getting nowhere with him, the tribe offered "to file a Declaratory Judgment Action in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin to allow a federal judge to decide the disputed issues" but apparently Haanstad wasn't wanting that since soon after the tribes offer to file to let the federal judge decide the matter the DEA showed up and decimated their crops (probably under the authority of Haanstad and Obama).

The tribe had been completely transparent from the very start. They got the government approval, under that Farm Bill, they allowed the feds and the BIA to drop in at any time to inspect the operation and to test the crops, there were one or more strains of the hemp crop that were found to be problematic and the tribe stated it would be destroyed (and I'm sure they would have allowed the feds and/or the BIA to oversee the destruction of the problematic crops) .. everything was going along smoothly between the tribe and the government until Haanstad (who obviously has a big stick up his nether region) took over being the U.S. Attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events