Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times

Advertisements

That's a weird one, poor gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,274,180 times
I think the only time this therapy would actually "feel good" is after a serious sunburn.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,463 times
Ouch RIP

Old 10-29-2015, 04:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Local news is now saying that she might have dropped her cell phone and bent down to pick it up, exposing her nose and mouth to the liquid nitrogen that suffocated her. The place also didn't have the proper permits. It's a mess.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM

500 posts, read 583,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friend loves this cryotherapy stuff for after she runs.

I see it costs $40 a session around here. She says hers are $20.

I think a bathtub full of ice water would actually work better and cost a tenth of that.

It has become very popular. Pro sports teams have been using cryotherapy for several years as have some higher end sports conditioning training centers.

The advantages of cryotherapy over ice baths is the time needed for the treatment and quicker results.

For a pro athlete where every game counts in order to keep or demand those higher dollar contracts, cryo wins out over ice bath. There are many benefits for the cryo besides those just for athletes.

I've done it once. Froze my arse off! Would like to do it more often.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Local news is now saying that she might have dropped her cell phone and bent down to pick it up, exposing her nose and mouth to the liquid nitrogen that suffocated her. The place also didn't have the proper permits. It's a mess.
Unless she is a bean pole, there is no room to bend over in those chambers to even touch your knees. Her cell phone should never have been in there.

The article I read said she did not have the height properly adjusted, had the temp on the lowest setting and for the longest amount of time. Most time out at 3 minutes. If her head was below the top of the chamber, a big no-no, it is easy for one to breath in the liquid nitrogen fumes and basically freeze the inside of their lungs those the asphyxiation. The liquid nitrogen lowers the level of oxygen that is in the vicinity, why you are to have your head above the chamber.

You also never do this alone. If you were to visit a cryotherapy business the person will come in the room and explain everything to you, have you stand in the chamber, without it being on, set the height properly for you. They will leave the room while you disrobe and then get in the chamber. They will come in and turn it on. They will even stay in the room while you are in the chamber in case something happens and it needs to be shut off before the time is up. Once it stops, they exit the room, you exit the chamber and dress. Everyone wears socks and gloves while in the chamber and males wear underwear. You need to be completely dry as well, not good to do if sweating after a big workout.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
The article I read said she did not have the height properly adjusted, had the temp on the lowest setting and for the longest amount of time. Most time out at 3 minutes. If her head was below the top of the chamber, a big no-no, it is easy for one to breath in the liquid nitrogen fumes and basically freeze the inside of their lungs those the asphyxiation.
Man, that sounds horrible. It may have only taken a few seconds for her to die, but it must have been a terrifying few seconds.

I feel so sad for her.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Man, that sounds horrible. It may have only taken a few seconds for her to die, but it must have been a terrifying few seconds.

I feel so sad for her.
Hoping she did not do the same or attempt to do the same for any clients. You know, telling them it might increase the benefit of doing cryo. I personally think that may be what she was up to. Or, sadly, if more was known, was this a suicide...... We will never know.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
It has become very popular. Pro sports teams have been using cryotherapy for several years as have some higher end sports conditioning training centers.

The advantages of cryotherapy over ice baths is the time needed for the treatment and quicker results.

For a pro athlete where every game counts in order to keep or demand those higher dollar contracts, cryo wins out over ice bath. There are many benefits for the cryo besides those just for athletes.

I've done it once. Froze my arse off! Would like to do it more often.
How would cryo work faster or better than actually being immersed in ice water? Air cannot conduct the same amount of cold over a given surface area is water can.

Also, athletes have been using cryotherapy for decades. In the form of ice bath. I see that the chambers would be easier to use because you don't have to ease yourself into one.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How would cryo work faster or better than actually being immersed in ice water? Air cannot conduct the same amount of cold over a given surface area is water can.

Also, athletes have been using cryotherapy for decades. In the form of ice bath. I see that the chambers would be easier to use because you don't have to ease yourself into one.
Cryo is better than an ice bath due to the time.

Think of cryo being a nap that rejuvenates back to full strength. Whereas, an ice bath would be a good nights rest. That is one reason why cryo trumps ice baths for pro athletes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events