Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,374,784 times

Advertisements

Iran’s president is due for a state visit to France. It is a big deal apparently. It’s happening right after the nuclear deal and all that. However, he has asked that wine not be served to ANYONE. Well, French take their wine drinking very seriously so they cancelled the event altogether. Who is right? How would the White House handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 06:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,222,788 times
maybe while the French are having their wine, they could let the Iranians go out into the garden and stone somebody for committing adultery.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 PM

20,136 posts, read 16,262,987 times
What would you do in your own home? What would you expect if you are visiting in someone's home?

Were I visiting I might tell the host my restrictions but I wouldn't expect everyone to adhere to it. If someone came to my home who had those restrictions I wouldn't serve it. That was what my mother and both grandmothers practiced. I was raised that both host and visitor should be respectful of each other. It really is that simple.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,429,371 times
Someone came to my home and tells me I cant serve wine I kick them out.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,608,332 times
Obviously, serving a devout Muslim visitor a forbidden food, such as pork would be a gross thing to do …. I understand that observant Muslims abstain from alcohol …

But I don't know that somehow requires closing down all wineries and distilleries and liquor shops while the guy is visiting the country …

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,080,996 times
I think its ok for the Guest to tell the Host about foods that they dislike and/or might have allergy to.

But not not do wine is a little much, I think.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,733,892 times
Good for France. If he didn't want wine then fine, give him a glass of water but don't demand that no wine be served at all.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:27 PM

I am actually surprised that the French called the whole thing off. French businesses are eager to get back into Iran so I am sure they must have lobbied the Elyse. Watch Iran cancel the trip altogether saying we must have our state dinner AND have no wine on the menu.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think its ok for the Guest to tell the Host about foods that they dislike and/or might have allergy to.

But not not do wine is a little much, I think.
This reminds of the truck drivers who refused to deliver beer, sealed in bottles and placed safely in the back of the truck, on religious ground. Sued and won, by the way.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:38 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,879,671 times
The Iranians made an unreasonable request. The French told them to get bent.

State dinners are largely matters of protocol. Menus are selected to cater to the guests of honor, but those menus do not revolve entirely around such guests.

For example, in 2009 the Obama White House's first state dinner featured Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as the guest of honor. Singh, a Sikh, is a vegetarian, so the meal was mostly (but not entirely vegetarian) - it featured prawns. And I've perused the menus of a number of state dinners and noted that when the guests of honor are heads of state from Israel or Muslim countries, there is no pork on the menu. No surprise there. Also, kosher meals are offered with the Israeli head of state is the guest of honor.

But then, pork in the United States is not exactly analogous to wine. We do not traditionally eat pork with every meal, whereas in France wine is standard. So the French menu certainly avoided pork, and probably featured a bit of cuisine familiar to the Persian palate while also showing off some aspects of French cuisine. But to dictate that all guests must be served a halal meal? That goes too far.

Basically, state dinners are extensions of diplomacy. The menu is selected to honor the guests and show them respect, but it is set by the host country. By protocol, the host country is deferential in its selections but also by protocol the guest country does not dictate the menu, and certainly does not tell other guests what they may be served.

And now, after googling up a number of scrumptious state dinner menus, I am very hungry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events