Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 06:22 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

My friend and I had lunch at a major chain restaurant and before going I'd checked their website to look at their lunch menu. When we were seated, the server gave us the dinner menu (and it was only 11:30 a.m.). I noticed the difference because the item I wanted was $4 more on the menu we were given. I asked about the lunch menu and was told that they thought customers on the weekend would want to relax with the dinner menu ???? I never did understand that one. He left and came back with the lunch menu and we ordered what we wanted at the "lunch time" price.

So, have any of you run into this situation? I thought if a restaurant has a separate menu for lunch and dinner, that they'd usually start using the dinner menu around 4 p.m., not at 11:30 in the morning!

Had we not said anything, we would have been charged the higher price, which is obviously what is happening to all the customers who don't ask for the lower priced lunch fare. I was also told that the dinner portions are larger, and that's fine, but that's not what we wanted in the first place.

Seems like a rip-off to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
That is a common practice with the larger chain restaurants. You're fortunate they even gave you a lunch menu when you requested it. Most of them won't!! But it is only on week-ends so we just avoid going out to lunch on week-ends.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That is a common practice with the larger chain restaurants. You're fortunate they even gave you a lunch menu when you requested it. Most of them won't!! But it is only on week-ends so we just avoid going out to lunch on week-ends.
This is very interesting. I went back to the restaurant's webpage and it does not state anywhere that the lunch menu is valid only M-F. There are many people who work Sat/Sun....if they want to have a lunch break I guess they're expected to pay the higher fares?

Doesn't make sense to me. Just another way for restaurants to try and make more money I guess. Too bad they don't take the extra and pay their employees better and not expect the customers to fork out additional money above and beyond the cost of the meal quoted on the menu to subsidize the low wages. (Oh, my, but that's another topic isn't it?)

Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I agree. And it was a suprise to us as well. We went to Black Angus to get a quick lunch one Sat. and had the same experience. The waiter said that's just the way it is! When we dorve across country we found out he was right. I guess it is because they CAN. And yes, they should pay their employees more on the week-ends if they are going to charge the customers more---at least that would make sense.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I agree. And it was a suprise to us as well. We went to Black Angus to get a quick lunch one Sat. and had the same experience. The waiter said that's just the way it is! When we dorve across country we found out he was right. I guess it is because they CAN. And yes, they should pay their employees more on the week-ends if they are going to charge the customers more---at least that would make sense.
Amazing what they think they can get away with! Our experience was at Olive Garden (where you're family, as they say on TV...lol, dysfunctional family? )

I see no reason why a customer cannot ask for "and/or demand" the lunch menu at lunch time, no matter what day it is. We are paying them, they are not paying us!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I've run into this too, even at smaller local places. This weekend it was a local Mexican restaurant. They have reasonably priced lunches and good food but on Saturday, we were given the dinner menu. I asked why and was told they had decided to serve dinner only on weekends. I said I was leaving because I was there for lunch. Suddenly lunch was available and they brought out the correct menu.

I think a lot of places are trying this to see if it's accepted.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:31 AM

I heard back from Olive Garden and their excuse for giving the dinner menu to weekend lunchers is that 'according to their research' they find that weekend lunchers want larger portions. ???

You tell me. Have you ever dined at Olive Garden for lunch on Saturday or Sunday and been asked what size portion you prefer?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You tell me. Have you ever dined at Olive Garden for lunch on Saturday or Sunday and been asked what size portion you prefer?
To be honest I've never noticed a difference in portion size. It didn't occur to me that there would be one.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
To be honest I've never noticed a difference in portion size. It didn't occur to me that there would be one.
Yes, there most certainly is a difference. Much smaller portions from the lunch menu.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink