Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times

Advertisements

I am having 20 people over need a simple yet delicious menu. I am not into a lot of fuss and decorations, but want my guests to enjoy a yummy dinner and wine.

Make-ahead dishes would be great. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
spaghetti and meatballs (may look like insides)...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
there is a whole section of halloween recipes on the food network website.
i remember seeing garlic soup--good for keeping away the vampires

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am having 20 people over need a simple yet delicious menu. I am not into a lot of fuss and decorations, but want my guests to enjoy a yummy dinner and wine.

Lasagna would be a good choice. Salad, bread and a dessert.

This site had some interesting recipes that might work for appetizers and/or dessert>>>
http://www.foodtv.ca/content/entertaining/ContentDetail.aspx?ContentId=2546&Category=Enterta ining (broken link)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:56 PM

34 posts, read 77,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post

Don't forget red punch, with gummi worms and gummi eyeballs in it. It may sound a bit childish but if you want to do a theme party it can be fun.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,427 times
Thumbs up Punkin' stew is great

This recipe gives a awesome presentation to a good fall meal. First you need to find a couple of medium sized pumpkins( for the crowd you have coming) that will each fit in your oven whole. Then you will need the ingredients for a good beef stew (and enough for your crowd). I usually stay simple, thick and hearty; chunked beef (your favorite cut), small tater cubes, baby carrots and onions maybe some sweet peas. Use your favorite recipe if you have one, just try not to overcome the simplicity of this dish or the added taste of the pumpkin. Parcook your stew (about 3/4 time) so later a thirty minute trip in the oven can finish it off with out it becoming to pulverised. While the stew cooks, cut the tops out of your pumpkins, like lids, big enough to ladle out of. Remove the inerds and toss em' Scrape insides and remove tendrils until it is semi-smooth inside. Rub inside lightly with salt and pepper, rub whole outside with veggie oil and set on cookie sheet. When stew is ready pour into pumkin hot and replace lid. Let it sit until about an hour before time to serve then slide (one at a time) into 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. If you have a double-o you can cook them a little later at the same time. Just don't leave over thirty minutes cause they sides will fail after a bit and you want to see something scary Followed by the clean-up Just watch it and you will be fine, Serve with a few loaves of sliced mummy bread (warmed french bread wrapped in a cloth like a mummy) and you will have some happy friends. Especially the adults who get tired of candy corn, popcorn balls and apples with bites out of them. Cleanup is a snap too.

When you serve it remember to drag ladle up sides to get a little pumpkin, it is yummy. You can also call it all kinds of names, Punkin guts, Goblin guts etc for the kiddies if needed. If it's only an adult crowd, toss the silly names and call it fall or pumpkin stew. Trust me, it looks and tastes awesome. Any further help with it DM me.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
Billy that sounds great!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Billy that sounds great!
I would love it.

We need a great dessert to go with it.

The Take Home Chef served pears in a red wine/champagne sauce with some delicious cheese--how about that?

Pears are good in the fall.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 PM

79 posts, read 319,863 times
A recipe I always do for the kids which is fun is a big clear punch bowl and make punch then get a couple of plastic latex gloves not the ones that have powder in them then fill with water freeze them once there frozen cut off the glove and place the frozen hands inside the punch bowl. Kids love it and it is pretty darn cool to look at!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Hmmmmm.......the pumpkin idea is really cool, but sounds so elegant for a Halloween party!

I would do something easy like pizza or tacos, or even just a bunch of appetizer type dishes like tortilla roll ups (cream cheese, diced jalapenos, diced olives, diced onion, whatever....spread out on the tortilla, rolled up and sliced and served with salsa), meatballs, pigs in a blanket, spinach and artichoke dip, bruschetta, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink