Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times

Advertisements

I used to do dinner parties all the time with 1st husband. However, this husband is not such a social person, so we've never had a "real" dinner party other than family.

He's going north to visit his parents and I'd like to have a dinner party for 7 - 6 neighbors and me.

I have no clue what to serve, it's been so long. Plus, we have to keep in mind these are "more mature" guests than I used to have. One person is diabetic. I think everyone else is alright with a "normal" menu.

I'm thinking:

Meatloaf, scalloped 'taters, steamed carrots w/herbs and Lawry's seasoned salt (not a lot), a green veggie - maybe fresh green beans and fresh cukes and tomatoes with pickles. And, for dessert, an unsweetened angel food cake with a tunnel of fresh strawberries and whipped cream, frosted w/plain whipped cream.

Whadya think? Any other suggestions? My goal is simple, easy food that I don't have to worry about "is it too rare or well done" type of thing where I can prepare most of it ahead of time and enjoy my company.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
NMS my two cents and a budget stretcher would be lasagna or stuffed shells meatballs (or not) a nice big salad and garlic bread with cheese (or not).

For dessert ice cream pies which is just pie shells chocolate or graham cracker and a layer of any kind of ice cream some chocolate or caramel sauce then another layer of ice cream etc...put back in your freezer until you are ready for it.
This way you can make things ahead and still be able to sit down and enjoy the meal with everyone.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM

that all sounds good, crazy, and I do make a mean lasagna. I'll check with one of the ladies to see if that would fit in with diets. Since we're talking "more mature" folks, I'm thinking that may be a bit spicey for them.

Oh, did I mention I might throw a pitcher of sangria into the mix???

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Then as a centerpiece make a nice bowl with Rolaids or Tums in it.......LOL

OR give them the sangria and they won't notice the spiciness.

Seriously......go with stuffed shells...I usually to the ricotta add an egg and cream cheese and parsley....that is it.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Love the tums centerpiece! Hey, the pink ones might look good on the whipped cream frosting!

Believe me, this group will scarf up the sangria and any other "adult beverage" I might throw at them.

I'd rep ya, but gotta "spread the luv" (said in her best Barry White voice).

Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM

no problem
I am getting goofy time to go to bed.

Whatever you decide I am sure they will love the fuss you are making over them.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM

It's a couple of weeks away, but I like to plan ahead!

I'm going to suggest another dinner party to DH for next week - just us and our two snowbird friends who are headed back north the following week. For that, I'm thinking chicken marinated in mojo and rotisseried. Build from there.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Be careful about going with pasta if one of the guests is diabetic. Some diabetics - stable Type II, usually - can get away with eating starches, but a brittle diabetic or a severe Type I could have serious problems. I'd even be cautious about meatloaf, or at least our recipe for meatloaf, because it includes breadcrumbs. If there's any way that you can diplomatically inquire about the extent of dietary restrictions necessary ahead of time, you could save yourself a lot of embarrassment and your guest a good deal of frustration and potentially serious medical problems.

You might pick up a copy of something like "Diabetic Living" to get some ideas for low-starch and low-glycemic-index foods to use.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM

Good point, MWBW. I do use some breadcrumbs in my recipe. Guess I need to talk to his wife. I know he has to eat at certain times, so I was planning on serving dinner at 5.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Why not just go the informal route and throw a barbecue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink