Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Gender inequality predates Christianity and thus Islam. Female circumcisn is one of those ancient practices practiced along tribal ethnic lines. It remains a common practice in some Yazidis and Coptic Christain ethnic communities.

In terms of history, the West has substantially evolved over the past 200 years, a blip in time in history.

It was not all that long ago women were not allowed to own property, vote or inherit wealth. True income inequality existed whereby a man was paid more than a women for the same job, tenure and performance. Government changed all that. Some men have yet to get over it.

There are more than 40,000 Christain denominations in the US, many of which are isolated home based churches that attempt to deny women equal rights, down to their attire and education.

Most Muslim majority countries maintain secular governments and women have more rights than say in Saudi Arabia, long time US ally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,820 times
Yes they can do something they just wont. Our country is so full of do gooders and rose colored glasses and the kumbaiyah mentality and could care less about what happens here or to our citizens. Watch how the rest of the world handles things now and you will notice its just the good old USA that are looking like idiots. Dont count on us increasing our appearance of superiority much longer as right now we are definitely third world.This should include all people wanting to come in and rush the door not just muslims. No scrutiny,no clearance just a free for all taking place.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Gender inequality predates Christianity and thus Islam. Female circumcisn is one of those ancient practices practiced along tribal ethnic lines. It remains a common practice in some Yazidis and Coptic Christain ethnic communities.

In terms of history, the West has substantially evolved over the past 200 years, a blip in time in history.

It was not all that long ago women were not allowed to own property, vote or inherit wealth. True income inequality existed whereby a man was paid more than a women for the same job, tenure and performance. Government changed all that. Some men have yet to get over it.

There are more than 40,000 Christain denominations in the US, many of which are isolated home based churches that attempt to deny women equal rights, down to their attire and education.

Most Muslim majority countries maintain secular governments and women have more rights than say in Saudi Arabia, long time US ally.
https://copticliterature.wordpress.c...utilation-fgm/

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I get what you're saying, and I, too, am uncomfortable with the idea of so many Syrians entering the country. Having said that, do you believe that people who were born and raised in another country (I, for example, was born and raised in Canada and am now a naturalized US citizen) are second tier citizens? Kinda sounds like it.
Absolutely not. What I do consider “second class” citizen, whatever that means, are people who have not fully “bought in” into the idea of being an American. Sure, they took the oath and carry an American passport but deep down they have “issues” with America or still fantasize about the place they left behind. I am not talking policy disagreements. They question the founding of the country.Things you cannot do anything about now. If you have moral issues with America you should not have become a citizen. In that sense, I consider many immigrants more patriotic than some natives.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The murderers are not sheltered by the law and these murders are not condoned by large segments of society. That's the difference.

Here are some other differences.

Though women are given the right to pursue an education and career in Jordan, this right hinges on the HUSBAND'S permission (or the father's permission). Divorce laws in Jordan are based almost entirely on Sharia law, which definitely favors men. Less than 4 percent of all property in Jordan is owned by women. The Jordanian Penal Code today still includes provisions that excuse honor crimes by granting the perpetrator leniency in punishment. 89 percent of women in Jordan between the ages of 15-29 are unemployed and Jordanian courts regularly uphold the rights of men to refuse "their" women the right to work outside the home.

I'm underwhelmed by this "bastion of Islamic progression."
Just to be fair, unemployment in the same age group for men was reported at 33% in 2013, and with the hits the economy has taken from the Syrian war, I would not doubt that it is higher than that. This is not a country with a favorable economic situation. Most of the women I know from Jordan are Upper Middle Class, but they all have careers except for an handful who opted on their own to stay home. Many women there have an expectation that they do not need to work once they get married, and opt to stay home if they were not interested in a career. For your 89% figure to be meaningful, you'd need to know what percentage of those women wanted to work but were not allowed by the men in their lives. It is one thing to look at the laws on the books, and another thing to understand how people actually live in a place.

That said, yes, the Jordanian laws and courts favor men over women in many (but not all) cases. You mentioned divorce and honor crimes - I'd add inheritance laws to that list. Jordanian human rights activists and Queen Rania in particular have done a lot of great work in these areas and IF Jordan gets the support it needs to remain stable, I have no doubt they will continue to see progress.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Don't want to derail this thread, but this is my experience, as well.

I have NEVER met a Muslim woman in all my years of living in large, highly diverse northern cities (including Metro Detroit, which has one of the largest Muslim populations in the country) who fits this profile of the timid, oppressed, fearful female that we in the West like to cling to.

Muslim women, I have always found, are VERY confident, VERY opinionated, and VERY outspoken. They take NO crap. Don't let the hajabs or burkas fool you. That they CHOOSE to wear them in the West (yes, they DO choose to; they're not forced) is merely a visual manifestation of their fiercely strong spirits. That choice is an act of defiance of what THEY see as the more subtle oppression of women in the West, and in the US in particular, which undermines any female power with its obsessive focus on women's looks. Unlike Western women, who, they believe, tacitly consent to being judged by their body parts, Muslim women demand that they be viewed as whole beings.
And look how well that has served them in Muslim dominated countries around the world.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
We ARE at war! Make no mistake about it. It's a war that is different then WWI, WWII, Vietnam, but it is a war. ISIS-Muslims are killing innocent women and children. They fight as cowards by creating fear in non-military citizen around the world. The Middle East has never evolved into a civilized way of life. They cling to believes that are hundreds of years behind the times. They are barbarians and must be destroyed. I hate war, but once it is declared, it must be stopped permanently.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Just to be fair, unemployment in the same age group for men was reported at 33% in 2013, and with the hits the economy has taken from the Syrian war, I would not doubt that it is higher than that. This is not a country with a favorable economic situation. Most of the women I know from Jordan are Upper Middle Class, but they all have careers except for an handful who opted on their own to stay home. Many women there have an expectation that they do not need to work once they get married, and opt to stay home if they were not interested in a career. For your 89% figure to be meaningful, you'd need to know what percentage of those women wanted to work but were not allowed by the men in their lives. It is one thing to look at the laws on the books, and another thing to understand how people actually live in a place.

That said, yes, the Jordanian laws and courts favor men over women in many (but not all) cases. You mentioned divorce and honor crimes - I'd add inheritance laws to that list. Jordanian human rights activists and Queen Rania in particular have done a lot of great work in these areas and IF Jordan gets the support it needs to remain stable, I have no doubt they will continue to see progress.
Where do the Jordanian women you know live?

And you are making a pretty big deal about that one statistic. It's the cumulative effect of the various laws and social norms of Jordan that I'm talking about here. For Jordan to be considered a "bastion of human rights" in the ME, it's a pretty sorry litany of statistics when taken in its entirety.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Umm, where do you get this information? This is patently untrue. There is absolutely no obligation for women to wear head coverings in Jordan. When you go to Jordan you will see women wearing everything from miniskirts (with no headcovering, of course ) to niqab (headcovering with veil).
You are arguing in favor of NOT enforcing Islamic rules on people. You are celebrating countries that do NOT follow Islam in their governance. Is that what you meant? If so, you are indicting Islam as a system of social and political governance.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
How can you implement this plan or any plan of this nature or any nature without a lot of money?All the automatic weapons, grenades, bomb vests. rental cars, hotel rooms, food, etc? Follow the money and we will see the process clearly. ISIS funded? local Muslim funded? Syrian Funded? Lets find the root of this evil financing. College age people don't have the funds available to carry off something like this. If it is the oil fields we know what to do next! Without money there are curtailed much more than bombing them. Of which I am an advocate of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events