Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
And even the most peaceful Republican Presidential candidates still believe that women are second class citizens who shouldn't have control over their own reproductive rights or be paid equally to men.
Ah, the classic "Republicans are like Muslims" comment. I was waiting for that to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ah, the classic "Republicans are like Muslims" comment. I was waiting for that to show up.
No, they're not Muslims or like Muslims. That was not correlation I was making, it happens that they have some similar beliefs.

I don't think the Catholic Church treats women equally, or that the Orthodox Jews treat their women equally. Religion doesn't have the best track record with equal rights for women.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
And even the most peaceful Republican Presidential candidates still believe that women are second class citizens who shouldn't have control over their own reproductive rights or be paid equally to men.
Ah ... you understand then the perplexing hypocrisy of why so many people are quick to vilify such abhorrant conservative values, yet demand compassion and understanding for Islam and its followers. It's certainly a mystery to me.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
As long as king obuma wants them here, they will come

Old 11-15-2015, 09:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
A dance of death in the West

Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
You can't vet Syrian refugees. Who are you going to call, Assad for a background check?

"FBI director James Comey said during a House Committee on Homeland Security hearing on Wednesday that the federal government does not have the ability to conduct thorough background checks on all of the 10,000 Syrian refugees that the Obama administration says will be allowed to come to the U.S."

FBI Admits US Can't Vet All Syrian Refugees For Terror Ties | The Daily Caller

Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
Quote:
I REALLY hate that "we're all immigrants" nonsense, too. Last I checked, I was born in Summit, New Jersey. My mom was as well, and my brother, and my dad was born in Newark. Pretty sure we're all full blooded 100% Americans. DON'T call me an immigrant. That sh*t insults me and very few things offend me.

NOBODY has a right to come here. Nobody is entitled to the United States but Americans, those of us who were born here. We have no obligation to accommodate the crazies coming from anywhere else in the world, especially if there's the slightest chance a few are being planted to attack us (don't call me crazy for saying this because look at the Syrian who got to Europe a month ago via a Greek island and just was involved with attacking Paris).

Given all our government knows, especially now, it is utterly mind-boggling that they're still inviting tens of thousands of people in. Do they want to destroy us? I'm beginning to think so. Utter idiots. If I were president I would shut that refugee plan down yesterday. F*** them all, we protect our own here. WE come first, us Americans, not everybody else. It shouldn't be any other way.
I second that. I was born in this country too.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You can't vet Syrian refugees. Who are you going to call, Assad for a background check?

"FBI director James Comey said during a House Committee on Homeland Security hearing on Wednesday that the federal government does not have the ability to conduct thorough background checks on all of the 10,000 Syrian refugees that the Obama administration says will be allowed to come to the U.S."

FBI Admits US Can't Vet All Syrian Refugees For Terror Ties | The Daily Caller
Great point. They have the ability to fake passports and other sensitive government documents so they can't be let in sorry

Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 PM

500 posts, read 583,426 times
Quote:
I REALLY hate that "we're all immigrants" nonsense, too. Last I checked, I was born in Summit, New Jersey. My mom was as well, and my brother, and my dad was born in Newark. Pretty sure we're all full blooded 100% Americans. DON'T call me an immigrant. That sh*t insults me and very few things offend me.

NOBODY has a right to come here. Nobody is entitled to the United States but Americans, those of us who were born here. We have no obligation to accommodate the crazies coming from anywhere else in the world, especially if there's the slightest chance a few are being planted to attack us (don't call me crazy for saying this because look at the Syrian who got to Europe a month ago via a Greek island and just was involved with attacking Paris).

Given all our government knows, especially now, it is utterly mind-boggling that they're still inviting tens of thousands of people in. Do they want to destroy us? I'm beginning to think so. Utter idiots. If I were president I would shut that refugee plan down yesterday. F*** them all, we protect our own here. WE come first, us Americans, not everybody else. It shouldn't be any other way.

Not only was I born in the United States of America, every single one of my ancestors was already on these shores by the late 1600's.

My ancestors have fought in every single war that has transpired from before we won our independence until now. These immigrants are NOT ones that will support this country! They are not going to be enlisting in our military to protect the freedoms that my ancestors fought and died for. They do not assimilate. They DO cause problems. Take a look at all of the countries that have been taking them in and how they have turned around and treated their hosts.

The United States can not even properly take care of our own. We have let our own veterans down! Remember them, the ones that fought and died for every single one of you to have the rights and freedoms you enjoy. We can not even take care of them! We have how many homeless veterans? They put in for appointments to be seen at their local VA hospital and it can take 6 months or more to be seen. Yet, these immigrants that are not even going to be screened are being handed more than our own are. We have homeless families. Familes with children going without, no food, no shelter.

When we can take care of our own, THEN, and only then as well as when we can properly conduct background checks on these immigrants should we even open our borders for anyone to come here.

God bless America, we need it!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:21 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Why stop them? What the hell is America? We're all immigrants.

I was at a freethought Atheists meeting yesterday in Seattle and there was a Saudi girl speaking about Islam there. It would be a mistake to keep someone as bright and intelligent as she was out of this country. It's IMMIGRANTS like her that make America what it is.

What about the Mexicans who came here 30 years ago? Look at our campuses. Their children are growing up, going to school having children of their own and making America better every step of the way. I sometimes ride the bus and where I saw mostly black, white and Asian people now I see people of every stripe. Bedouin girls, Iraqi mothers and teens, Somali, African, Pakistani, Indian and Latinos are ubiquitous. I saw an Indian girl from Brazil, 6" 5" tall and stunning.

Let them come. We're only better for it. If there's some bad apples It's well worth the risk.
That "we're all immigrants" platitude is just that: a platitude. It has no place in intelligent conversation.

And distinctions need to be made between immigrants. Not all immigrants are great. Not all immigrants want to be Americans. Not all immigrants want to live the American dream. Some immigrants want to take advantage of our generosity. Some immigrants are low lives. Some immigrants are terrorists. And let's call a spade a spade: Islam ****ing sucks. It's a dangerous religion practiced by ignorant people. That's a bad mixture, as history proves. We can't tolerate the intolerance of Islam. It goes against American values and my own principles as a liberal.

Having open borders is stupid and can only lead to tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events