Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,979,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Every dog that goes over to the "jail side" gets basic temperment testing and many handlers before they are adopted out in my jurisdiction. Ones that don't pass..are too terminally sick or injured get executed. 88 percent make it and get adopted out... Some dogs have stayed jailside for over a year. Worthwhile county shelter to volunteer at.

In this most sensitive transition phase I wonder what made the dog go off...even innocently leaning down with a bowl of food could put the unaware at risk ...

So sad. I'm sorry for all creatures involved.. A true tragedy
I think the problem, shelters are hiring people who have no qualifications to be a animal control officer or manager. I have met officials working at shelters and some have no real idea about animals they are just there for the job. Also, many shelters are making money adopting certain dogs breeds and this is disturbing. I feel the Humane Society of the United States should operate the same way as retirement homes or convalescent hospitals, surprise checks and making sure workers are there for the welfare of the pets. Testing of all dogs who enter should be mandatory. With these rules though, we would most likely see more put to sleep than there is now, due to people not wanting to do their job correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,317,212 times
What a crazy thing to happen. Perhaps the dog sensed something about the guy no one else could and did a public service.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,690,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
What a crazy thing to happen. Perhaps the dog sensed something about the guy no one else could and did a public service.
This is just silly. Yes, animals, dogs at the top, are given credit for a "sixth sense". However, in this case, I see as territorial, refusal to submit, alpha,/beta case. This guy should NOT have took this dog on. Rotts are perpetual alphas. It takes a strong character to control them, and gain their respect.

They are a schutzen dog. Bred for guard work, with a strong, competent, handler. People need to realize, not all dogs , and breeds of dogs, are cut out as family pets. Horses are the same way. Yon don't buy a hot blooded, working cattle horse, for your ten year old daughter to learn to ride. Young horse..old rider..old horse ..young rider. If you buy a four year old Doc Bar line, mare or even gelding, for a kid, you're ignorant, and begging to get your kid hurt or killed.

Bloodlines and breeding matter. Hugely. When you take on an animal, ANY animal, YOJ are ALPHA! If you can't be that, get a parakeet. Or a Hamptster. Don't get a dog, cat and especially a horse. Much is made of dogs hurting people. Look up horse stats. So many people are hurt and killed working (or thinking they are) with horses, and nobody ever looms at the WHY. They just take it for granted it was a tragic accident. Its NOT. Its ignorance, plain and simple, 90% of the time.

A 100+ pound dog, is NOT a pet. Less than a hundred pounds lethal. Toy dogs can be lethal. If you're going to have animals., beprepared to BE IN CHARGE! Take nothing for granted. Its ALL on YOU....as the Alpha. The responsibility lays with you. You've got it handled, or you don't. No gray area.

My dog knows, be listens to me, and obeys. Or else. Bes must a Corgie. But..Corgies are working bred cattle dogs. They make good pets, IF, you control them, channel their energy. They are also, perpetual alphas. Especially the females. They have a dominant instinct. You have to KNOW your animals bloodlines. Do t introduce a dog, cat, whatever, to your family, unless you can handle it. Its not a drop and go proposition. Ever.

Last edited by NVplumber; 11-18-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,179,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Yes I thought the pit bull haters would be out in force for this one. I feel terrible for this man and his family. I wonder if a temperament test was done prior to allowing the adoption. Rotties are usually great dogs.
Rotties, in my experience, are either oversized lap dogs, or nasty guard dogs. That breed doesn't seem to have a middle ground. In any case, they are generally not suitable in homes with kitties, or small kids.

That's a dog for a big rough and tumble guy with a kind heart. Kind of like the breed.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 PM

8,136 posts, read 12,883,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Really?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,649,777 times
Quote:
Yes I thought the pit bull haters would be out in force for this one. I feel terrible for this man and his family. I wonder if a temperament test was done prior to allowing the adoption. Rotties are usually great dogs.
Have allergies to dogs and cats. Pit Bulls if their mean have been abused or trained that way. Most are sweet as can be. As for me I am cautious of any dog. Small dogs like to snap and bite ust for the heck of it.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 PM

16,767 posts, read 8,753,821 times
Quote:
"Haters"
How old are you?

No one who understands the dangers that pitbulls or other large/strong canines pose should be surprised that a dog he knew nothing about (breeding, temperament, treatment, etc.) killed him.

While I trust rotts to a much greater degree than pitts, they are still the #2 canine for human fatalities behind the pitbull.
While they are not hardwired the same way pitts are, if they do attack, they are capable of inflicting massive tissue damage unlike most other dogs.
So just because it was not the #1 dog responsible for human fatalities, it does not mean an adopted Rott is a smart choice.

`

Old 11-18-2015, 06:23 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,428,302 times
Seems like there should be an assessment period before a dog is adopted out.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,550,045 times
Quote:
In and out in five days? Unlikely much testing or observation was done.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,120,949 times
I'm guessing the previous owner detected or had a problem with the dog and the reason why it was at the shelter. I'll bet it was one of the 'bites the hand that feeds it' dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events