Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:57 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Trump is full of shyt with his wall idea. No wall is needed. Just make it a felony and a $10,000 fine to hire, house or in any other way aid and abet their existence here. Without jobs and shelter they will go back on their own.

For starters, there is no reason not to build a wall.

Second, you like many others are under this false assumption that most if not all illegal aliens come here to work. Many come here hoping to get on the public dole (i.e. free housing, medical care, schooling, etc.).
Others come here hardened criminals who are looking to ply their trades on wealthier Americans rather than the dirt poor from their own countries. Still others are intent on living in a gang like MS-13 who come across the border with easy. This of course does not even include the OTM's from Islamic countries who might very well be part of sleeper cells just waiting to unleash a jihad.

So while a wall alone will not solve all these problems, it certainly is an additional impediment rather than just walking across.

`

Old 11-28-2015, 07:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Trump is full of shyt with his wall idea. No wall is needed. Just make it a felony and a $10,000 fine to hire, house or in any other way aid and abet their existence here. Without jobs and shelter they will go back on their own.
Fine but without a wall and means to keep these folks out, we cannot effectively keep out terrorists, can we?

Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of undocumented persons who don't work but are here for family members and many indirectly live off of state aid to their family members.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For starters, there is no reason not to build a wall.

Second, you like many others are under this false assumption that most if not all illegal aliens come here to work. Many come here hoping to get on the public dole (i.e. free housing, medical care, schooling, etc.).
Others come here hardened criminals who are looking to ply their trades on wealthier Americans rather than the dirt poor from their own countries. Still others are intent on living in a gang like MS-13 who come across the border with easy. This of course does not even include the OTM's from Islamic countries who might very well be part of sleeper cells just waiting to unleash a jihad.

So while a wall alone will not solve all these problems, it certainly is an additional impediment rather than just walking across.

`
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Fine but without a wall and means to keep these folks out, we cannot effectively keep out terrorists, can we?

Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of undocumented persons who don't work but are here for family members and many indirectly live off of state aid to their family members.
I'm with both of you, I don't want ANY illegals in this country. My statement that Trump is full of shyt about the wall was made to illustrate that if he was serious about stopping illegals there are other more effective means to do this.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
There are huge numbers of illegals here in CA. They come and go as they please across the border as if there was no border. For holidays, they leave for a few weeks then come back in. The vast majority of Americans who do not live in a border state have no idea how huge the numbers are and how easy it is for them to go back and forth. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 to 1/3 of the population of Mexico is here illegally at any given time.
It's way past time for something to be done about it. Build a wall, enforce current laws, create new stiffer penalties. I'm for anything that might work. I'll support any presidential candidate that pledges to stop the insanity. The illegal immigration issue is the biggest reason Trump is way ahead in the polls.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The illegal immigration issue is the biggest reason Trump is way ahead in the polls.
According to the following Reuters news article, Trump has dropped 12% in just the past week:

Republican Trump drops 12 percentage points in poll: Reuters/Ipsos | Reuters

Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And you believe it? You must not be in a border state.
I'll trump you - - I live in a border county. Certainly the numbers are lower than they were before the Great Recession.

http://http://www.pewhispanic.org/20...ng-to-the-u-s/

Old 11-28-2015, 09:31 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There are huge numbers of illegals here in CA. They come and go as they please across the border as if there was no border. For holidays, they leave for a few weeks then come back in. The vast majority of Americans who do not live in a border state have no idea how huge the numbers are and how easy it is for them to go back and forth. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 to 1/3 of the population of Mexico is here illegally at any given time.
You believe that forty million Mexican nationals are in the United States at any one time?

I didn't know the human head could hold up a hat that was covered with that much tinfoil.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

Just one correction. They are not undocumented workers. They are called illegal aliens according to our immigration law terminology. Otherwise you are correct in your other statements.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
That felony law would be hard to write. If I hire someone who turns out to be an illegal alien, I'm a felon? So I had better play it safe and not hire anyone at all? And if I'm a landlord, and an illegal alien moves in, I'm a felon? So I had better hurry and get out of the landlord business, to not risk becoming a felon by mistake? Or you think the law can be written in such a way that honest people have nothing to fear? And it would be effective against illegal aliens? How?

Building the wall would provide work for a lot of unemployed people. But how many of them would be illegal aliens?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Default What a coincidence....

Interesting timing ; that this would be reported by NYT so soon after the much ballyhooed Pew study claiming that more Mexicans are returning to Mexico than coming into the U.S.

Things that make you go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events