Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 03:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
i only quoted a part of your post in the name of space, i just dont want you going all conspiracy theory on me, screaming how i cherry picked your post....the reason i picked this part, is me personally, i have an issue with it....i will counter with 99% of those shoppers out there werent concerned with big corporations profits. 99% of those people were concerned with their own lives being impacted....if those snooty upper class folks wanted to body slam each other for a discounted veggie steamer, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO SO!!!! Please tell me you are not that self absorbed that you feel that you get to tell everyone else what is important and what is trivial. i will play devils advocate by saying your right to protest ends when you impact my right to access my discount veggie steamer. Because YOU feel your right to protest is more important than my shopping schedule, doesnt it make it so

Nah, it's just faux outrage for BF shoppers.

There are multiple threads on C-D and posts on social media about the "idiots" on BF, but then all of a sudden people are concerned with said shoppers ability to "peacefully" shop. Ironic, since people beforehand didn't seem to be too concerned with shoppers being able to "peacefully" shop, considering the madness and melee that takes place every year on Black Friday's.

And there's nothing you can ''take exception" to regarding the parts of the post you didn't quote, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Because in the grand scheme, they really don't. If they did they wouldn't be killing each other, would they? They might be out in the streets trying to prevent it all rather than killing each other.
Ah, gotta love when people who don't know what they're talking about speak on others' behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I don't know why we even bother, but it really is not difficult to understand.

Here it is, days after their protesting, and people are still talking about the protests, even if some of the press is negative.

Do you think BLM would get any attention if they protested in a lower class black neighborhood? Do you think anyone would care outside of those neighborhoods or even notice? Of course not. The media probably wouldn't cover it and if they did, it would be buried on the back page.

Some are so convinced that blacks don't care about black on black crime, simply because they don't hear about it. That is incredibly ridiculous and weak that some of you think that these people, who are continually having to deal with the violence in their neighborhoods, don't care. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't exist, and you don't hear about it because it doesn't create discussion, controversy, ratings, clicks and discussion like this thread.

You'll never hear stories like this from the media, because it doesn't cause division and controversy between races.

50 Black men honored for reshaping their communities with BMe Leadership Award

So, if the masses don't hear about it, guess how much attention that will bring to their cause? None. (But let's for a second ignore the total hypocrisy some people have, as they tell "good" blacks to separate themselves from the "bad" blacks, and then turn around and say that blacks need to fix problems in the "black community". Seriously, which is it? Pick one. )

And why would they protest in black communities, where most of these cop on civilian crimes take place? They don't need to convince or bring awareness to the very communities where the slain are usually from. They're already upset and want changes, so what would protesting in those communities accomplish?

And this brings us back to why BLM chose this venue. It makes complete sense to do so. You don't bring awareness to your cause by protesting in places that would get zero coverage on the national stage.

I don't see threads where people are taking exception with protests outside of PP clinics, even though there are many other services those clinics provide to the community. I also don't see near as many threads (if any) about Westboro Church when they decide to protest and picket in public. You have to go back to May to find a thread about Westboro, yet there is a different thread every month about BLM.

All of a sudden, the 99% is "concerned" with billion dollar corporations' profits and upper class people being able to body slam each other for discounted veggie steamers and blu-ray players, because of those pesky attention seekers having the audacity of exercising their 1A right.

People blamed BLM for the pathetic opportunists who rioted and looted under the guise of BLM, then people complain when they protest peacefully. Let's just call it what it is.
In my experience most people don't support BLM's common method of protest, at least the ones that predominantly make the news. Blocking people from entering stores, tunnels, forming a line of people across a highway and stopping traffic, and then people using BLM as an excuse to go rogue and burn things and loot. That's the most coverage on it I've seen. All negative.

Sure they're making the news - but what's it matter when they're making the news for negative reasons? They're making the news because they're pissing people off and doing obnoxious things. They can keep doing it all they want but don't for a second think it will get many people on their side. I'm just annoyed with BLM at this point. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm sure shoppers were annoyed Black Friday because despite what ocnjgirl thinks, holiday/bargain shopping does matter to many people and they don't want to be inconvenienced by people protesting something that has nothing to do with them and their desire to shop on Black Friday.

So yes they're "making the news" but NOT in a good way. Not in a way that makes the majority sympathetic to their cause. They're being counterproductive IMHO.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Seems to work out fairly well for those who don't get into issues that require a Cops presence.
Actually, it doesn't work out fairly for anyone. The city pays out MILLIONS of dollars in settlements (IIRC, it was $50 million in 2014 for settlements stemming from allegations against CPD). This is money coming directly from taxpayers' pockets. This is coming on the heels of vocal opposition to recent property tax increases, trash collection increases, increasing sales tax, reduced services, closing schools, and laid off employees. The citizens of Chicago are paying for the corruption and incompetence of the Chicago Police Department and other higher ups in the city, including the SA/DA and mayor.

#themoreyouknow

Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM

ocnjgirl I'm still reading that he had PCP in his system, according to prosecutors.

Judge sets $1.5 million bail for Chicago cop who killed teen

Police Shooting of Black Teen Cited in U of Chicago Threat - ABC News

Both articles from within the last half hour.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
ocnjgirl I'm still reading that he had PCP in his system, according to prosecutors.

The official autopsy report that came makes no mention of PCP and states there were no drugs in his system:

Autopsy of Laquan McDonald

Skip down to section 19, page 19.

Again, this is the official autopsy report, retrieved via an official FOIA request, not whatever is being blasted on the media.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:29 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
What does the Holocaust have to do with Institutionalized Racism in the U.S.?

FYI, whites can be victims of institutionalized racism.

This is the post we were responding to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You need institutionalized racism and discrimination in order to have institutionalized outrage, at least in the way you are turning the discussion. By definition, that can not happen when victims are white.
When you said:
Quote:
She's correct.

If you'd actually bother to read up on the definitions and differences between prejudice, bigotry and racism, you'd know that.

But, you know what they say about ignorance.

If you'd actually read what we were responding to before saying she was correct than you would know where you stand in the scale of what they say about ignorance.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
The official autopsy report that came makes no mention of PCP and states there were no drugs in his system:

Autopsy of Laquan McDonald

Skip down to section 19, page 19.

Again, this is the official autopsy report, retrieved via an official FOIA request, not whatever is being blasted on the media.
If I'm not mistaken, PCP doesn't fit into any of the 3 categories of drugs mentioned that he didn't have in his system.

Are they saying he had nothing at all in his system or none of those 3?

Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Meanwhile in Detroit

Black Teen Beats 91-Year Old White Man To Death, Sets Body On Fire – Downtrend

yet not one riot, not one store looted, not one word from BLM....

Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I haven't had time to read them all, I just saw the thread from earlier.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:06 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Meanwhile in Detroit

Black Teen Beats 91-Year Old White Man To Death, Sets Body On Fire – Downtrend

yet not one riot, not one store looted, not one word from BLM....
Are the police lying to protect the perp, are they erasing security tapes so he doesn't go to jail? No? They are arresting and prosecuting to the full extent of the law? Then what is there to protest???

No one is protesting because someone was killed, they are protesting a cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events