Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Nothing will change my mind that a woman who chooses to nurse in public without covering her herself is a narcissistic exhibitionist -- and, btw, I do very much approve of breastfeeding.

Exactly. Breastfeed away, no problem, but if you choose to do it without cover in a public place while looking for people to shame you so you can post about it on social media, you're just looking for attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Women should NOT have to hide in a bathroom to feed their baby. It's undignified, unsanitary, and very uncomfortable. They don't even have to cover their breast up while doing it in a crowded restaurant. But they DO have to accept that there will always be people who find the full exposure of a breast to be excessive. It's a mother's right to expose their breast and it's another's right to find it a bit excessive. Both sides need to get over it and stop making differences of opinion an issue.
They don't have to hide in the bathroom or the back of any place. Just use a cover and nobody (who realizes what's going on) will say anything or even stare.

We have a friend in our circle who does this while we're just hanging out in a room. While it is a little uncomfortable (awkward) for the rest of us (especially the males), we got over it. Now imagine her not covering up - that would clear a room due to the awkwardness among friends alone. If you do it in public, that's undoubtedly drawing attention and they know it. Then they go and make a big deal about it themselves on social media because they got what they knew was coming?

Last edited by ovi8; 12-03-2015 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Absolutely disgusting and twisted logic. How many times have you used your "man's...private part" to feed an infant?
I disagree with his logic, too. But, that is not the analogy he is making.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:06 AM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It hasn't shut down any shamers; if anything, it stirs them up even more. She's just another idiot looking for attention.

Nope. She is an advocate for breastfeeding, anytime anywhere when her baby is hungry. Babies can't control their hunger like adults and there should be no shame in feeding them. I salute her for that.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:11 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
You are one of the posters here with whom I probably agree 99% of the time.

But, not this time.

While breastfeeding and eliminating bodily waste are both equally natural acts, they are not equally beautiful acts nor are they equal in function. Breast milk is not equal to a bodily waste.

I understand feeling that some acts are done simply to force others to accept them, and I usually cringe at and disagree with such acts committed solely for that sake. But, I think breastfeeding is such an important natural act that it should be encouraged to the point where no woman feels uncomfortable or that it is inconvenient to breastfeed her baby anywhere (that is a safe and sanitary place).

If I am going to be forced to pay high taxes and high insurance premiums and high deductibles so that other people who do not do all that they can to improve their health and prevent the preventable, then I think we all have the right to advocate that people do all that they can to get healthy. Breastfeeding is very helpful in getting children started out on a healthy path. As such, I think it not a bad idea to force (gently help) others get over any discomfort they have at seeing a woman's breast while her child suckles.

Some battles are worth the fight!
I'm all for the health benefits of breastfeeding. This same mother however is also a rather rabid anti-vaccination mom. In my opinion that stance creates one helluva hypocritical profile.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 AM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm all for the health benefits of breastfeeding. This same mother however is also a rather rabid anti-vaccination mom. In my opinion that stance creates one helluva hypocritical profile.

Not at all. You can agree with one and sill disagree with another. Just like a politician, you don't agree with everything a politician stands for.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Activists go out of their way to turn anything viral.
Activists usually only have their agenda in mind and everyone else is just wrong.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I do not want to see breasts used sexually in public either! lol!
I still don't get why of the anger about public breastfeeding. Reps to you

Old 12-03-2015, 08:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I wonder how compatible Islam is with the notion of open uncovered breast feeding? I wonder how a male Syrian refugee would react to seeing a woman breastfeeding with an exposed breast on a park bench he was walking by or at a restaurant he was eating at?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Not at all. You can agree with one and sill disagree with another. Just like a politician, you don't agree with everything a politician stands for.
Normally I do agree with the 'agree to disagree' philosophy. But there is not one respected pediatric association who recommends skipping vaccinations. And I don't wish to start a vax war here - there's already a 1000 page thread on the topic. But if you defend your decision to breastfeed for reasons of health benefits while denying your child vaccinations, you're a hypocritical fool in my book. And it's ok for people to disagree with that, but it won't change MY mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events