Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is jail time excessive for saggin your pants?
Yes 124 75.15%
No 41 24.85%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If what kids are wearing at school becomes disruptive time to require school uniforms. Set up a clothing bank where they are issued uniform clothes that fit if cost is an issue and as a kid grows out of his/her uniform trade it in for a bigger size.

I hate to see public resources spent on incarceration when there are cost effective solutions.
Or why not just send the boys home that continued to violate the school dress code. No need to make every child go to uniforms because a couple kids refuse to follow the rules. And no need to send these kids to jail over a dress code violation.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,136,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Or why not just send the boys home that continued to violate the school dress code. No need to make every child go to uniforms because a couple kids refuse to follow the rules. And no need to send these kids to jail over a dress code violation.

I wonder if they have tried suspension before but they still were not getting the point. Jail isnt the answer for everything, but maybe it will deter other kids from doing it, as all school systems will have that 3-4% of hopeless kids that dont care about anything.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I wonder if they have tried suspension before but they still were not getting the point. Jail isnt the answer for everything, but maybe it will deter other kids from doing it, as all school systems will have that 3-4% of hopeless kids that dont care about anything.
IDK, but the state has a pretty tough truancy policy and if the kids were out of school enough for suspension or being sent home they would be going before a family court judge.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:57 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Many communities in TN tried the dress code and discussed uniforms but it didn't go over very well. Anyway the school does not pay to put people in jail so they aren't spending or saving any money there.
What does that mean "it didn't go over well"? You require school uniforms and that's the end of it, make them as generic as possible so kids parents can acquire them without spending a ton of money, i.e. tan pants, white knit shirt.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jail is NEVER the answer for a non-criminal offense. Once you put a kid in jail their chance of going back increases dramatically- want to know why? A cop sees a kid who looks a "little suspicious", he stops him, gets his name and has dispatch check for warrants and prior arrests. Dispatch tells the cop that the kid has a prior for 'indecent exposure' (or whatever they are calling it in this hick town) All of a sudden what looked a little suspicious become 'very suspicious' and the cop may well think he's dealing with a sex offender. You simply don't want to put kids in jail unless they have committed a serious offense, it's beyond a bad idea, it's a horrible idea

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What does that mean "it didn't go over well"? You require school uniforms and that's the end of it, make them as generic as possible so kids parents can acquire them without spending a ton of money, i.e. tan pants, white knit shirt.
It means they dropped the uniform idea and chilled on the dress code. There is parent/student involvement and school board meetings so no its not the end of it. Apparently it became more of a hassle and problem interpreting and enforcing a strict dress code thanwhat the kids were wearing to begin with at least in my school district.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Many parents tend to resist uniforms--for reasons that I have never found logical, and that having been a parent of two children myself.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Parents tend to resist uniforms--for reasons that I have never found logical.
Me neither! When I lived in Reno a number of schools required uniforms, usually just a polo shirt and slacks but every once in awhile some parent would start a campaign to end it because it interfered with her child's 'rights'. The school board just thumbed their nose at the parents and kept the policies in place. IMO not only do school uniforms alleviate a lot of dress code issues, they are also a great equalizer; rich kids and poor kids look exactly alike when they are in uniforms

Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Parents tend to resist uniforms--for reasons that I have never found logical.
Because kids like to express themselves. Because you have to have a special set of clothes that are always clean and ready. Because a sensible dress code is sufficient, 99% of the time there is no issue with students dress.

That is my opinion anyway. Some of you may think that is no big deal but I am a single working grandmother raising two teenage gkids and its hectic life and having to make them keep up with two sets of clothing and make sure they wear a uniform is extra drama I dont need. I'm sure this is true for many working families. One kid has to wear specific dress shirt, pants and tie on game days and it can be a pain on those difficult mornings.

Some parents like the uniform, Im not one of them and I don't know any students who are fans.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Because kids like to express themselves. Because you have to have a special set of clothes that are always clean and ready. Because a sensible dress code is sufficient, 99% of the time there is no issue with students dress.

That is my opinion anyway. Some of you may think that is no big deal but I am a single working grandmother raising two teenage gkids and its hectic life and having to make them keep up with two sets of clothing and make sure they wear a uniform is extra drama I dont need. I'm sure this is true for many working families. One kid has to wear specific dress shirt, pants and tie on game days and it can be a pain on those difficult mornings.

Some parents like the uniform, Im not one of them and I don't know any students who are fans.
I've worn a uniform most of my life. Easy as pie. Uniforms are not a "special set of clothes," they are merely additional items of clothes. If a kid is going to have five sets of pants, two of them are uniform pants.

"Express themselves" is not even an issue. They can write a poem if they want to express themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events